Baby Blender "Art" Plane

CheapThrillz

Just thought I would share, I took the pics of my baby blender and heat pressed the image using heat transfer paper, the press actually melts the foam just enough to strengthen the dollar tree foam board and adheres the paper to eliminate desalination from the stock foam, the wing supports are stronger now than my last baby blender that had several bbq skewers bracing it! If you have access to a heat press it is a fun and light weight way to strengthen and decorate you scratch builds!

Attachments

• rps20141117_134106.jpg
    rps20141117_134106.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 30
  • rps20141117_134215.jpg
    rps20141117_134215.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 28

CheapThrillz

How much heat and pressure does it take? Could it be applied with a hobby iron?

I did 250°f for 30 sec, the heat press paper I used was designed more for a heat press but I know they make some for iron on applications, but trial and error would be your best bet with an iron!

CheapThrillz

I really like this covering technique! Would love to see more of this process.
Looks great!

Thanks, I'll defiantly be doing more this way!! Before I was having to constantly glue the edges where the paper peeled but this method is lighter and less time consuming in between flights!

Fygar

I am not sure a hobby iron will work. A few months ago I thought I would try to get the FT plans printed with a laser printer to transfer the toner directly to the DTFB to eliminate the need to hold the plans in place while cutting. I used my wife clothes iron with no water in it (please don't tell her). I knew that too much heat would destroy the foam so I started on the lowest setting. Even on low it warped the foam board badly and still wasn't warm enough to transfer the toner. Rats. I think the problem it that the heat caused the foam to shrink slightly.

The cool thing about using a heat press is that any shrinkage would happen over the whole surface so no warping. Cool! Wish I had one. I'd like to try the toner transfer again. What do those things go for?