Baby Blender build

docque

I am getting ready to build the Baby Blender. Will it fly on the B pack motor? I know the newer B pack motors don't have the power that the older ones did (learned this the hard way on another plane). I am getting better at flying, I love my Bloody Baron. Would you say if I can fly the BB the Blender should be about the same?
Any tips for the build before I start.

jpot1

Elite member
I flew mine with a C pack but it certainly didn’t need it. It’s a small plane and you should be fine on the B pack.

LAZY J

Hi there Docque!

I do believe a BB on a B pack would be quite possible if built light (especially in the tail area)... it may even tame down some of its handling by being less pitchy with power application and less responsive in roll and yaw due to lower flying speed.

There may be some useful ideas you may like to use in my "will finish it one day" BB build here: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/lazy-js-modified-baby-blender-build.39022/

Look forward to seeing how you get along! :)

docque

Well,
Hi there Docque!

I do believe a BB on a B pack would be quite possible if built light (especially in the tail area)... it may even tame down some of its handling by being less pitchy with power application and less responsive in roll and yaw due to lower flying speed.

There may be some useful ideas you may like to use in my "will finish it one day" BB build here: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/lazy-js-modified-baby-blender-build.39022/

Look forward to seeing how you get along! :)

I am going to give it a try. I am taking my time because I have been let down each time I have tried to build the mini bi and tri planes. The biggest issue I seem to have is the CG on many of my builds. In some cases the weight I have to put in the nose is really crazy.

jpot1

Elite member
Well,

I am going to give it a try. I am taking my time because I have been let down each time I have tried to build the mini bi and tri planes. The biggest issue I seem to have is the CG on many of my builds. In some cases the weight I have to put in the nose is really crazy.

Are you using DTFB?

OliverW

Legendary member
I don't reccomend the B-pack! I flew mine on a c pack and it was underpowered and heavy, even though it was built light. I loved its charecteristics and how it flew. It was nice and slow

jpot1

Elite member
Yes I am. I ordered a C motor to give it the power it needs. I have built many FT planes but this is the first I am really excited about.

A suggestion. I’ve been flying for ~2 years and I found this plane very squirelly. First attempt crashed more than flew. I then read a forum post about short coupling which this plane has due to the small distance between the wing and tail. I modified the plans by extending the tail by about 4” and also increased the wingspan a bit. Result was a very stable but still acrobatic plane. One of my favs!

F146502D-D422-4C6D-8729-0196856FBC21.jpeg

C7F6D450-86A5-47E7-9B96-00DC29DB16B4.jpeg

kdobson83

A suggestion. I’ve been flying for ~2 years and I found this plane very squirelly. First attempt crashed more than flew. I then read a forum post about short coupling which this plane has due to the small distance between the wing and tail. I modified the plans by extending the tail by about 4” and also increased the wingspan a bit. Result was a very stable but still acrobatic plane. One of my favs!

View attachment 113102
View attachment 113103
I always wanted to do the Baby Blender but was hesitant because of people complaining about its squirellyness. I may have to give it a second look with your changes!

jpot1

Elite member
Well took less time than I thought. I have not built from these but am pretty confident as I took measurements from what I built. Only piece that will probably need trimming is the rear turtle deck.

I removed the servo holes that FT did on the smaller version in the cockpit area. Since the fuse is stretched, I didn't have long enough push rods so I moved the servos into the fuse behind the start of the rear turtle deck. If you build this version, any questions, just ask and I can answer/share pics.

Attachments

• Extended Baby Blender.pdf
    45.8 KB · Views: 0

docque

I guess I am not going t bother with the build. I will just buy a plane later on. I didn't realize it would be an issue.

Idahomoe

Yes they are a bit squirrelly but pulling rates back and adding expo really smooths things out

Attachments

• 1D84BDF7-F57D-4FE8-9D92-83FD062A69B3.jpeg
    1D84BDF7-F57D-4FE8-9D92-83FD062A69B3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 122AD595-CD4F-41F7-BFAE-02B9A98A0B54.jpeg
    122AD595-CD4F-41F7-BFAE-02B9A98A0B54.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

docque

Here is an update. I threw the plane out and decided to do some research on a store bought one. I have had a low success rate on builds. I built most of the minis and the only two that fly are the Mini Scout and Mini F22. Building is not my strong point.
It is not that I am a poor pilot, I have store bought planes that I enjoy flying.