Baby Blender Fail...

Anthemius

hello Guys

I have build a baby blender. but I think my contruction was not good.i have the impression that the center of gravity is too far back. this is my 5th plane I build and always a failure .. never mind i ll keep trying.
thank you to www.flitetest.com for their website.

video :

Last edited:

Anthemius

hi Guys

this is my second try with the baby blinder.. the cg like me beter like that but my piloting level is very bad..
keep trying.. :)

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Good Job on building and flying, And you have a good dog to find the crash site.
Now that you are over the hump, You will have a lot of fun in this hobby!

Anthemius

Thank you Foam Addict :)

indeed i have a good dog.. thats great to find where is my plane.. or my shoes..hahahah
now i have to learn how to pilot a plane.. :) but i already have a lot of fun.. :) i love this baby blender.. :)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
That plane sure did look nice in the air. At least both you and the dog got some enjoyment out of it.

Anthemius

oh yeah that for sure :)

today i wanna put my iphone on the plane, to take some video from de sky but is to much wind.. so i have to wait untill less wind.
maybe it is not so good idea, because of the weight but i ll try it.. :)

puzzleflyer

Possible reason for poor flying Baby Blender. CHECK your WEIGHT.

Hello Anthemius,

I had similar troubles flying my new Baby Blender as well. With the recommended CG of 3.25 in (8.255cm) I found that the plane wanted to climb out to the point of nearly stalling. I had to fly at only half throttle, with FULL DOWN TRIM in order to keep it from trying to climb. I then rebalanced it and moved the CG closer to the original CG shown in the build video (2.5 in or 6.35cm). It still wanted to climb out to the point of nearly stalling. I was fighting to keep it under control and did not really feel it was performing any better. It felt very tail heavy and sluggish and would nose up sharply with the slightest increase in throttle. If I dropped the throttle any lower it would start losing altitude. It was like it only flew at one speed. It rolled and looped ok, but it was not an enjoyable flight at all, as I felt like it was overly sensitive.

I think I found the problem when I purchased some additional foam board. There are numerous different brands and qualities of foam board. The foam board I initially purchased was not the recommended "Dollar Tree" foam board (Adams brand). It was from a craft store and had a glossy finish. I don't know what brand it was as it did not have a label. For comparison I purchased Elmers brand from yet another store. So between the 3 different brands, I found that the glossy finish and flat finish (Elmers) were TWICE the weight of the Dollar Tree (Adams brand). So my plane was exceptionally heavier than the original build done by Josh Bixler. Here are the numbers:

Craft/Hobby Store foam board (glossy finish): 8.7 oz / 600 sq in (246.641g / 3870.97 sq cm)
Elmer's brand from discount store : 8.3 oz / 600 sq in (235.301g / 3870.97 sq cm)
Adam's brand from Dollar Tree : 4.1 oz / 600 sq in (116.233g / 3870.97 sq cm)

After 2 flights I decided to retire the plane as it was not flying any where near comfortably. I took a final weighing of the entire plane at flying weight and found it was 2 lbs 3/4 oz (928.447 g). I then decided to take all the electronics off and bring it down to almost a bare plane (no powerpod and no gear) and the weight was ~ 1 lb 1 5/8 oz (499.668 g) so if I had used the Dollar Tree (Adam's) foam board the plane would have been about HALF the weight before the electronics/ powerpod, and landing gear were added. If your foam board is indeed 8.3 - 8.7 oz (235.3 - 246.6 g) per sheet than that would significantly affect where the CG should be. I had pushed the battery pack (2200 milli amp) all the way up so it was almost touching the back of the PROP, to get the CG further forward, but the performance was still poor at best. It really is kind of a shame as the finished plane looked like this... blender.jpg

I'm now in the process of building a new Baby Blender with the lighter Adam's foam board so we will see if it flies any better. I hope to post again in about a week or so.

Happy flying and more importantly LANDINGS :)

Anthemius

Hi Puzzleflyer
thx for the advise :)

nice plane you built

I have my center of gravity at 5.5 centimeters (2.1 inch) now. as you can see on the picture, my battery pack 1800ma is almost touching the prop..
I find that it flight good enough like that.maybe it can a little bit forward.. just have to try it.
However, I have a total weight of 850gr (29.98oz). it seemed huge but it flying well with a motor (spitz10 http://www.cmbmodelisme.fr/boutique/fp3068/MOTEUR,SPITZ,10,+,CONTROLEUR,25.html).
9x5 prop.
i have build with depron 6mm of thickness. I do not know the full weight of the plate but I would weigh tonight and i ll tell you.
i hope your next build will be good for flying. please give a feedback.

today, maybe i ll try with my iphone on my baby blender .. if the wind drops ..

Anthemius

Attachments

• iphone blender.jpg
    iphone blender.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Anthemius

today i try again my BabyBlender but i dont know what was wrong this time.. of yeah it was the ruber band of the propeller.. i could not put full gaz because de ruber band was not strong enough. so i almost lost the propeller. thx to my girl friend.. she has found the propeller..

tonight i ll take the component of the babyblender.. like this tomorrow, I could try the latest build that I have done.

sorry for my stupid french accent hihihi but what is important... to try ofcource.. :)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Now it looks like it's either tail heavy, or you were applying too much up elevator, and didn't have enough power from the motor to keep it in the air, and it stalled out.

Anthemius

I also think that if I had been a better ruber band on the prop saver, it would have been better. I just could not put full throttle. and when I have tried to climb the babyblender the ruber band has broken. i ve probably also manage the depth of evil

I think I found the problem when I purchased some additional foam board. There are numerous different brands and qualities of foam board. The foam board I initially purchased was not the recommended "Dollar Tree" foam board (Adams brand). It was from a craft store and had a glossy finish. I don't know what brand it was as it did not have a label. For comparison I purchased Elmers brand from yet another store. So between the 3 different brands, I found that the glossy finish and flat finish (Elmers) were TWICE the weight of the Dollar Tree (Adams brand). So my plane was exceptionally heavier than the original build done by Josh Bixler. Here are the numbers:

Craft/Hobby Store foam board (glossy finish): 8.7 oz / 600 sq in (246.641g / 3870.97 sq cm)
Elmer's brand from discount store : 8.3 oz / 600 sq in (235.301g / 3870.97 sq cm)
Adam's brand from Dollar Tree : 4.1 oz / 600 sq in (116.233g / 3870.97 sq cm

Puzzle flyer,

Thanks for relating this information about different foam board weights. Here in Hawaii, we cannot get Adam's foam board so I built a Sopwith Pup out of Elmer's foam board and it was a brick with wings. Your post explains a lot, confirms what I suspected and just kept me from wasting time and money trying to build a Baby Blender brick.

You should post this information in a separate Scratch build string as this is the stuff you need to know but can rarely find. Seriously consider a separate forum string.

Thank you,

808aerosquadron

Last edited:

MrClean

If the only foam board you can get is too heavy, remove some. Carefully mark your wings either before or after gluing and then after your wing is formed, cut out sections of foam making it look like a normal, paneled wing. Then use packing tape to cover the open bays. JC Hobbies sport and fun bats were made this way though they flew without cutouts too.