Baby Blender Foam board and packing tape

mikb

Here is my latest built Baby Blender
I built it after I built a depron one and was not satisfied by the depron looks and lightness.
Am I the only one that think that or most of the "swappables" are coming out of the drawing board tail heavy?
This baby blender and the previous one needed a great deal of weight on the nose. I am still trying to get the FT flyer right and maiden it again after a first maiden which was kind of scaryyyyy :black_eyed:

Enjoy
Mik

Blenderite

Professional Crash Pilot
Did you use the same type electronics that Flite Test recommends? Could be you used a smaller battery maybe?

mikb

Did you use the same type electronics that Flite Test recommends? Could be you used a smaller battery maybe?

I used the same electronics except the motor . I used a 2200 kv rather than the reccomended 1300 kv. Same measures tho. I ordered a 28/36 1200 kv today and it should fit with a 30a esc I have already installed .
A smaller battery will not cut it as the battery is already all the way up in the nose . I will rebalance it once I got the new motor in. Thanks for the suggestion.:cool:
Mik

iCrash

I use 1300mah 3S batteries. I put CG markings on my planes and give them slight nose heavy. My FT Flyer and FT Delta have both flown great that way. Check your CG marks again. It doesn't take much for it to be off a bit.

Or when you fly, keep moving CG forward until you get a good balance. Then mark that on the plane so you'll always know.

Good luck.

coreyhowe

Similiar issues with my Baby Blender and FT flyer

I have just lovingly constructed my first baby blender and found that it was exceedingly tail heavy. I am not new to the flight test planes, and in fact have built about 10 different models. I love the site.
My BB is built exactly according to the spec, with the exact motor and battery etc listed. I have yet to fly this plane and be happy with it. I have gradually moved the 1300 3s pack so far forward that I can't push it any further without impacting the prop and I still need elevator trim to keep the nose down. I am at a loss on this one. Everything lines up and the thrust angle is dead neutral as specified. I built an FT Flyer for my son as a trainer and never had any luck getting it to fly either.
That being said I had great luck with the FT Mustang, FT Spitfire and mixed results with the Delta and Versa.
I would really like to see this baby blender fly, anyone got any suggestions?

Mine was spot on regarding CG. I ran a 1300mAh 3s, and had to have it almost against the wing. Are you sure you don't have an incidence issue?

matjey

Here is my latest built Baby Blender
I built it after I built a depron one and was not satisfied by the depron looks and lightness.
Am I the only one that think that or most of the "swappables" are coming out of the drawing board tail heavy?
This baby blender and the previous one needed a great deal of weight on the nose. I am still trying to get the FT flyer right and maiden it again after a first maiden which was kind of scaryyyyy :black_eyed:

Enjoy
Mik

How was it Baby Blender with 6mm depron? Too light impact the flight performance or does the depron tend to snap easily compared to foamboard?

cloud9850

so im new to flying in general. i have a baby blender v2 that has the motor with beef im running a 2700 mah lipo 9 gram servos. on top of that i run a go pro and a run cam on the tail along with a 150 mah lipo 1 cell battery. she flies great for me.... actually she flys so well that im actually confused at why so many people say they are hard to fly. idk i also ride a unicycle and everyone says thats hard guess it just depends on what you want to learn. i already have a second one with mods made for when i distroy this one! this is where my problems lie. i used duck tape to cover almost all the plane and according to everyone else im flying a heavy plane. idk if the tape on this next one will be too much for it or what but it sure looks good.

xidkid

There can be considerable variation in balance between different examples of the same model, depending on several factors. First, how much hot glue are you using? Josh always admonishes in the build videos to scrape excess glue off. Any excess glue at the tail will require several times as much weight in the nose to compensate, due to the longer moment arm. Picture an adult and a child on a seesaw. Same thing goes for tape. If you completely cover the plane in tape, most of the weight of that tape is aft of the center of gravity. Motor thrust angle is also important, especially with larger props, to compensate for motor torque and thrust line.

Last edited: