Baby Blender - Scratch Build

CiderPunk

My finished blender, won't get to fly her till next weekend but she's finished and all the bits work! weighs in at 800g with a 1200ma s3 lipo, seems a bit heavy, I think I got bit carried away with the paint. the undercarriage is balsa inspired by the Fokker Dr1 build
blender-done.jpg

House Of Noob

Has anyone tried decorating the dollar tree foam with sharpie markers? ...

My Daughter INSISTED on using markers.
BBwingMarkered.jpg

Paint has worked for me in the past but you HAVE to use very thin coats. I would say that you might not see the paper after three or four coats. That thin.

Last edited:

tallflyer

Mentor
Looking at your videos and build photos for this plane you installed the horns for the Rudder and elevator on the flat side of the control surface but the Ailerons you went with the bevel side?

JeffKling

If I can make a suggestion...

I have been playing with this method of making airfoils for a few months now.

Instead of cutting the relief cuts to form the top of the wing, cut and peel the paper in that section (to just past the spar). This makes the bend much smoother.

JeffKling

Also, I would love to see a video on how you guys painted this. My foam board painting ventures have not gone well. I have resorted to tape and adhesive pin-striping.

Josh Bixler

Sorry about the cg missing friends

OK so where is the CG on this thing?

Hi guys! I have an update to the top wing that will be up soon. The c.g. Is roughly half the chord of the top wing. That means about 3.25" from the leading edge of the top wing. If you have a lighter motor, I will have a alternate set of struts that will help. I also updated the struts on the original plans (moving the top wing back 1/2". I will work on a spec sheet with throws and expos ASAP. Thanks again for taking the time to build this little guy.

JB

steveo

I'm just about about done with my blender! :)
Something to do during the hurricane.

I just have a few things to figure out...
My prop doesn't fit over my prop adapter (need to resolve this), need the nuts to hold the wheels on, and need to figure out how to mount the battery.

Is everyone else just velcro the battery under the power pod?
From the video that looks like what Josh might be doing.

This is my first ever build I have only been flying since august and thanks to the detailed instructions and video this was a blast and very easy! I can't wait to fly it!!
The total weight of my build with a 2s battery came to 18.3oz. I even added packing tape to the leading edges of the wings for my inevitable crashes, and I double up the wing struts for strength as well.

If anyone has advice on where to mount the battery that would be great.
CG is 3.25" from back of top wing I will check that once everything is properly mounted.

PrInCe

I have a spare std bixler motor "2620-1900kv Brushless Outrunner" was thinking of using that in mine with 2200mah 3s "all i have" and a plush 25A ESC. anyone got a clue as to what size prop? as i cant find no info on that motor other than whats above.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
A 6x4 prop is about as big as you'll get on there. You'll probably get away with that motor/prop if you build this nice and light. Even though the Bixler weighs 600g, the wing loading is really low which means it doesn't need much propulsion to generate lift.

PrInCe

A 6x4 prop is about as big as you'll get on there. You'll probably get away with that motor/prop if you build this nice and light. Even though the Bixler weighs 600g, the wing loading is really low which means it doesn't need much propulsion to generate lift.

So an APC 6x4E prop would be good as i have a spare, but it looks tiny :) thanks for your input.

Build so far.

DSC_7116.jpg

DSC_7117.jpg

DSC_7118.jpg

Last edited:

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
If it flies, it flies :)

I've gotta get one of these going.
I guess it's going to be one of my winter projects.

NewBee

Hey all a friend of mine showed me this plane and I want to build it,crash it and just have fun,
so,
heres the poop, i signed up here and Im wondering if anyone would print out a set of plans for me
Ill pay for it and the shipping,
why you ask,
well I'm disabled and stupid,,as in i dont have a printer and wouldn't understand how to do it anyways,
and i dont get out much so itd be hard for me to have a shop do it, and none of my friends understand waht i want
there eyes roll up in there heads and they say WHAT?
I live in Maine, 04106, please email me or answer here if youd do this for me with how much,
thank you
john
and no im not trolling or trying to cause any trouble,
just want some plans for this cool build to work on