Baby Blender wing dimensions

ofiesens2

Professional noob
Hi everyone,

I'm an 8th grader, and our school science fair is coming up this year, and my plan is to make a conventional airfoil and a KF step airfoil and test them out to see which one generates more lift in a controlled environment.

For my conventional airfoil, I plan to use the FT Baby Blender wing without the relief for the separate ailerons cut out and build a KF step airfoil to the same dimensions. My question is, how long is the BB wing on the plans(control surfaces)? Since the wingspan is 24 inches, I'm guessing it is between 12 and 20 inches, but I would definitely prefer to have specific dimensions.

If it's easier, it would be just as well if I knew what pages the wings are on in the BB tiled plans. It doesn't matter if it is the top or bottom wing, as I will only be using the basic outline of it.

Thank you!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hey ofiesens2,

Looks like the wing spans (no pun intended) more than one page, so went to the full plans and using PDF X-change (a PDF reader, but has a handy measurement tool), measured from the 50% score cut (will become the leading edge) to the trailing edge.

You're looking at an 8" cord, including control surfaces. For "wind tunnel testing", there's no need cutting hinges for the control surfaces, but if you need a narrower chord, it looks like the wing is 6.5" if you trimmed them off.

BTW, there are several KF airfoils, have you selected one to test yet or are you going to test more than one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KFm_Family_of_Airfoils.gif

ofiesens2

Professional noob
Thank you to you both. Crafty Dan, I will probably end up using the second to last one in the link you provided, similar to the one that FliteTest made in their airfoil project when they made a new wing for the Cessna. It seems like a simple build. Find the measurements of the high point of the BB wing airfoil, match that to the KF wing, and sand the front end into a smooth curve.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Sounds like you've got a good plan -- I wish you good fortune in your research!

Post some pics of your project when you've got it done -- I'm sure there are plenty of folks here that wouldn't mind seeing a creative Science Fair project (with or without the blue ribbon ;) )

ofiesens2

Professional noob
Ok, its a month before the science fair, and I have built the 2 wings, the KFm airfoil matching the dimensions of the Baby Blender wing.
science fair 2014 pic.jpg
For the KFm airfoil, should I cut and sand down the front end to make it similar to the BB wing, or should I leave it with a flat leading edge?