Baby Blender

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I read the thread front to back. Poor guy got gun shy on the build. I checked out the other thread that was posted on the thread you suggested. That guy was really goin to town with the gorilla glue no paper thing. With at least the C pack I don't think saving weight by a few grams here and there would make a difference. I'm sure that having 2 main wings with foam struts and fat airfoil, and the blunt nose style, just similar to the SE5 would create enough drag to keep the plane from being to slippery for the intermediate flyer experience. I noticed he didn't do the extended tail either.

Its kinda funny cuz when I built my Speedster biplane I thought I was onto something original for the forum considering I only saw one or two threads on the Mini Scout biplane. Just today I was cruising around the forum around page 45 and came across someone else who did the same in 2017, (CraftyDan had a lot to say in that thread... quite comical actually). It's cool to see that the ideas I had for that plane and the Baby Blender are well proven from other members experiences and mods. Just reassuring to find out the results of their mods.

I really appreciate your feedback man, and I have been looking at your threads on your designs as well. you have some cool stuff goin on. I have looked to more the forums for inspiration to build and fly. Flitetest has been good with build plans to get things started and encourage people to mod and design... but here is where it all really gets going.

Thx bro keep it shiny side up

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I read the thread front to back. Poor guy got gun shy on the build. I checked out the other thread that was posted on the thread you suggested. That guy was really goin to town with the gorilla glue no paper thing. With at least the C pack I don't think saving weight by a few grams here and there would make a difference. I'm sure that having 2 main wings with foam struts and fat airfoil, and the blunt nose style, just similar to the SE5 would create enough drag to keep the plane from being to slippery for the intermediate flyer experience. I noticed he didn't do the extended tail either.

Its kinda funny cuz when I built my Speedster biplane I thought I was onto something original for the forum considering I only saw one or two threads on the Mini Scout biplane. Just today I was cruising around the forum around page 45 and came across someone else who did the same in 2017, (CraftyDan had a lot to say in that thread... quite comical actually). It's cool to see that the ideas I had for that plane and the Baby Blender are well proven from other members experiences and mods. Just reassuring to find out the results of their mods.

I really appreciate your feedback man, and I have been looking at your threads on your designs as well. you have some cool stuff goin on. I have looked to more the forums for inspiration to build and fly. Flitetest has been good with build plans to get things started and encourage people to mod and design... but here is where it all really gets going.

Thx bro keep it shiny side up
I'm the guy who built jpot's extended version of the Baby Blender in that thread. " Poor guy got gun shy on the build." What do you mean? The plane flies really good.

The Mini Scout Biplane I'm quite proud of. It really flies stupid good. It's probably not surprising that someone came up with before I did. I posted the plans in the Resource section of the forum. It's not just another wing on the Mini Scout. I dropped the wing from center of the fuse to the bottom, created a bottom plate to support it, increased the height of the tail, extended the fuse both front and back, and then added ailerons. If it's already been done, it just goes to show that it's a great idea.

The only sad thing there is that no one else is building it. Give it a try.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I'm the guy who built jpot's extended version of the Baby Blender in that thread. " Poor guy got gun shy on the build." What do you mean? The plane flies really good.

The Mini Scout Biplane I'm quite proud of. It really flies stupid good. It's probably not surprising that someone came up with before I did. I posted the plans in the Resource section of the forum. It's not just another wing on the Mini Scout. I dropped the wing from center of the fuse to the bottom, created a bottom plate to support it, increased the height of the tail, extended the fuse both front and back, and then added ailerons. If it's already been done, it just goes to show that it's a great idea.

The only sad thing there is that no one else is building it. Give it a try.
The guy in the post who started the thread is Docque. He had a question about the B Pack on the BB. He was saying how his first biplane, the SE5 had him scared to commit to the BB cuz his building skills were sub par. That's the guy I was saying got gun shy. Unless Docque is you, that's who I was talking about. Sorry if you thought I was talkin about you.

I did post a thread on the Speedster biplane which was a quick idea and build. It wasn't a quality build, only took 3/4 a sheet of FB and spent a few hours on it just to see how well it would work as far as the custom building thing went. It was kind of a pre cursor to the BB build really. I really want to fly it still but again this Rx I ordered still hasn't arrived. Maybe today... Maybe not lol. If this Speedster does as good as I'm thinking it will I will have more confidence in the BB and possibly make the Mini Scout version.... or maybe do a large Scout or Speedster biplane versions. Time will tell.

Back to my waiting for the mailman game... rained out last night, actually has been raining all summer. Haven't even been able to mow the lawn for awhile. Summer and flying season tends to be so short here in Canada that this rain has my flying practice on a time crunch.... probably why I have 5 planes on the shelf, all of which haven't flown yet. Anyway keep it shiny side up. Thx for the response

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
My bad. I thought you were referencing a different post. (My skills are also subpar, but I do my best. ;)) I mentioned the Mini Scout Biplane because it's much easier to fly than the Baby Blender. It all but flies itself, in my opinion. Ofcourse, I am rather biased towards it. :p

Bummer about your RX not arriving yet. What with the rain, it doesn't sound like you'd be able to fly anyway. I hope both conditions clear up for you! Good luck with the maiden(s)!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
My bad. I thought you were referencing a different post. (My skills are also subpar, but I do my best. ;)) I mentioned the Mini Scout Biplane because it's much easier to fly than the Baby Blender. It all but flies itself, in my opinion. Ofcourse, I am rather biased towards it. :p

Bummer about your RX not arriving yet. What with the rain, it doesn't sound like you'd be able to fly anyway. I hope both conditions clear up for you! Good luck with the maiden(s)!
All good man, I'm pretty excited to get this BB up but it will be later. I did receive my Rx yesterday. I put it in the TT to test it out and I'm back in business... once the rain stops for a day at least. ,Shoulda built the Sea Duck instead. Or maybe I should just switch to RC boats lol.

Grifflyer has a new Shrubsmacker fuse to try out so in the meantime I might get into that to kill some time while waiting for the weather to clear up.

Do you currently have anything on the build table now? If you do send me some thread links to check them out... Keep it shiny side up

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Oh, yeah. Just finished the Edge, working on a Spitfire and got a Storch in the wings.

Here's the Edge build thread:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/at-the-edge-of-the-world-we-meet.59425/

Here's the Spitfire thread:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/spit-roasted-fb.59444/

I won't start the Storch until the Spitfire is done.

The Edge and Spit are both group builds, so they're great for encouragement and information.
I also recently did the Spitfire. I have a small build thread on here of some mods I did if any of you guys are looking for ideas. Has some nose and powerpod mods... pics included.Nose mods on the FT Spitfire. The edge would be a decent build for me but way to much plane for me to fly right now.

I actually would like to start to dabble in some formed FB master series builds soon though. Something like the Thunderbolt or the Hellcat. maybe start with the Thunderbolt in the Mini version and move on to the Hellcat after depending on how the TB goes.

I built and beat the crap outta my Storch I had. Didn't get any good flights out of it due to my lack of flying experience at the time... took some hard hits. I eventually took it apart and scrapped it for the parts to move onto something else... the Spitfire I think actually.

How far are you on the Spitfire now?

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So I finally finished this plane, got all the control surfaces working. Used a new trick with the control rods that I've seen on YouTube and kinda goes along with the vintage detail I did with the wing struts.
20190815_165403.jpg

The threaded BBQ skewer CA trick came in handy when I realized I didn't have enough wire to do all 4 runs of control rods. It was a desperation move at the time but upon looking at it really worked with the rest of the plane. These are the remaining pics of the build:
20190815_222713.jpg 20190815_222804.jpg 20190815_223210.jpg 20190815_222613.jpg 20190815_222652.jpg
Gonna find a decent day to maiden it now, will take vids.Thx for reading

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
So I finally finished this plane, got all the control surfaces working. Used a new trick with the control rods that I've seen on YouTube and kinda goes along with the vintage detail I did with the wing struts.
View attachment 139613
The threaded BBQ skewer CA trick came in handy when I realized I didn't have enough wire to do all 4 runs of control rods. It was a desperation move at the time but upon looking at it really worked with the rest of the plane. These are the remaining pics of the build:
View attachment 139617 View attachment 139618 View attachment 139619 View attachment 139614 View attachment 139616
Gonna find a decent day to maiden it now, will take vids.Thx for reading
I really like the look you imparted to it with the barbeque skewers. It looks like wire rigging! You should check out some of @sundown57's biplane builds. He's been taking string rigging to the next level.

I hope your maiden goes well and can't wait for the video! :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
If you want someone to maiden it for you, or just want moral support when you do maiden it. Let me know, it is what I do!
Hell yea I do! Not even a question
I really like the look you imparted to it with the barbeque skewers. It looks like wire rigging! You should check out some of @sundown57's biplane builds. He's been taking string rigging to the next level.

I hope your maiden goes well and can't wait for the video! :)
Really thx man, I appreciate it. There definitely will be video.

And I will check out @sundown57 threads. I seem to like the Biplane stuff for some reason, never thought I would but it just hit me with the SE5. I hope it gets some attention and flies just as well. Now I have a bro to maiden it for me so I don't mess it up on the first flight I can get a professional opinion on the design changes. I know others such as yourself and @jpot1 did yours and had a huge influence on mine, I think it would be interesting to see a good pilot fly it and tell me what's up.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Neither my son nor I ever really liked the DR1 or the SE5. The DR1 looks spectacular in the air. It's a frickin' triplane! The flight performance of both just isn't up to the same standards as say the Simple Scout, Baby Blender or the.... Mini Scout Biplane! I'm telling you, man, build the blasted thing, throw an F-pack motor on it with a 6x3 prop and a 3s 850mAh, and it'll be your favorite plane to fly. :)

Don't change the plans. Just build it as designed and fly it. Then build another and start throwing your mods at it. It's less than two sheets of foamboard. I'm really curious to see if you can find room for improvement. It'd be pretty cool if you do. ;)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Neither my son nor I ever really liked the DR1 or the SE5. The DR1 looks spectacular in the air. It's a frickin' triplane! The flight performance of both just isn't up to the same standards as say the Simple Scout, Baby Blender or the.... Mini Scout Biplane! I'm telling you, man, build the blasted thing, throw an F-pack motor on it with a 6x3 prop and a 3s 850mAh, and it'll be your favorite plane to fly. :)

Don't change the plans. Just build it as designed and fly it. Then build another and start throwing your mods at it. It's less than two sheets of foamboard. I'm really curious to see if you can find room for improvement. It'd be pretty cool if you do. ;)
I don't know if I have the plans to your Mini Scout Biplane yet do I?
Just checked and that's a negative... do you have a link?

I haven't tried my Speedster Biplane yet either. Actually just got it up to the power pod tonight and I still hafta hook up the control surfaces yet. I want to try that one indoors. I'm thinking it would fly even slower then the Mini Scout mono wing original version maybe. Is the biplane version slower then the original?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I don't know if I have the plans to your Mini Scout Biplane yet do I?
Just checked and that's a negative... do you have a link?

I haven't tried my Speedster Biplane yet either. Actually just got it up to the power pod tonight and I still hafta hook up the control surfaces yet. I want to try that one indoors. I'm thinking it would fly even slower then the Mini Scout mono wing original version maybe. Is the biplane version slower then the original?
Here's the link to the plans:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/mini-scout-biplane.76/

Video of the maiden is here:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/mini-scout-biplane.59151/

Some more flight video:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/msbp-almost-aerobatic.59693/
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/streamer-combat-for-real-this-time.59416/

It will fly really slow or surprisingly zippy. I feel like it almost flies itself. If you can't tell, I'm really proud of the design. All I did was modify the Mini Scout plans, but it just flies so good! :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Here's the link to the plans:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/mini-scout-biplane.76/

Video of the maiden is here:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/mini-scout-biplane.59151/

Some more flight video:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/msbp-almost-aerobatic.59693/
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/streamer-combat-for-real-this-time.59416/

It will fly really slow or surprisingly zippy. I feel like it almost flies itself. If you can't tell, I'm really proud of the design. All I did was modify the Mini Scout plans, but it just flies so good! :)
It does fly nice, wide speed envelope and super maneuverable with the ailerons. Actually did you do the ailerons to the bottom wing only or both, hard to tell from the vids. From what I saw it looks like a sharp plane too, you should do some close up video shots showcasing the plane before you put it up, make a full maiden video out of it. That's something I am going to do with the rest of my maiden vids, especially ones that I design or modify. Keeps more accurate documentation. You are excited about it and I see why.

And that's why I didn't download the plans... there is 4 separate downloads for a Mini plane, got it now and I will build it in the near future. I have 9 planes to deal with right now, well 8 since I lost one the other day, which i desperately need to find, has my Rx in it, and my F Pack. Hate losing planes in farmers fields. I found a new green space to play in recently so once I get back up and running I will have more open space close to the house

Thanks for the links @buzzbomb

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
It does fly nice, wide speed envelope and super maneuverable with the ailerons. Actually did you do the ailerons to the bottom wing only or both, hard to tell from the vids. From what I saw it looks like a sharp plane too, you should do some close up video shots showcasing the plane before you put it up, make a full maiden video out of it. That's something I am going to do with the rest of my maiden vids, especially ones that I design or modify. Keeps more accurate documentation. You are excited about it and I see why.

And that's why I didn't download the plans... there is 4 separate downloads for a Mini plane, got it now and I will build it in the near future. I have 9 planes to deal with right now, well 8 since I lost one the other day, which i desperately need to find, has my Rx in it, and my F Pack. Hate losing planes in farmers fields. I found a new green space to play in recently so once I get back up and running I will have more open space close to the house

Thanks for the links @buzzbomb
Ailerons are bottom wing only. One servo in the center for both. The close-up shots aren't a bad idea. I generally just turn on the gopro on my head and go flying. ;)

I hope you find your lost plane. It sucks losing the expensive bits. With so many planes to fly/maiden I hope you do get around to flying the MSBP. I'd love to hear your comparison of how it flies compared to your other birds. :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Finally got some maiden video of the Baby Blender. Took it out yesterday at @Headbang local airfield, L.A.R.C.S. He did the CG and control surfaces check, then the take off and trim. Handed the sticks over and I flew for a bit, in the vid it says I landed it but I actually had him land lol. Thank you so much @Headbang for the maiden and just the entire day. He deserves credit for the production, editing and score of the video as well. Take a look and post your comments:

The initial take off attempts were a little sketchy, the mains are set a little to far back and it would nose over, just like you saw on the landing. Gonna rake the wheels forward some and she is a viable airframe. Thanks for watching

Bayboos

Nice video :)

One piece of advice on landing: try to keep a little bit of throttle (not enough to keep the plane in the air obviously; basically just enough to hear the motor running) all the way down until she stops. It makes a huge difference.

Good luck, and have fun!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Nice video :)

One piece of advice on landing: try to keep a little bit of throttle (not enough to keep the plane in the air obviously; basically just enough to hear the motor running) all the way down until she stops. It makes a huge difference.

Good luck, and have fun!
Thanks for the comments and I appreciate the tip.