Back in the hobby

1958 MGA

Back to flying RC models after 20 years. Still occasionally flying a couple of Glow engine planes that I built in the 80's
After finding the Flite Test site I got back into building. I had never used electric motors or the new style radios that you can adjust everything.
Big eye opener learning about mixes end points and expo. Things are much easier to set up once you start playing around.
In the last 6 months I have built a dozen FT models and still have all but 2 of them. The simple scout is by far the best I have 2 currently flying off floats in the snow. The PT40 that I built looked great, It died quickly when I flew it full throttle into an invisible lamp post! The nice thing is that most of the electronics survived, but I did loose a battery. Still nothing like loosing a balsa scratch build! So much more fun when you don't worry about loosing a $3.00 plane. Going to teach my grand kids one day.
IMG_5332[1].JPG

1958 MGA

Welcome back! Also welcome to the FT forums! I like the look of that profile Gee Bee thing you have.
The Gee Bee I found on Pintrest a while back, It fly's great. Very stable and is 3D capable (in the right hands LOL) I can hover it a little
I find the profile Edge 540 easier because it is so much bigger. I built a couple Edge 540's before I found Flite test

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Back to flying RC models after 20 years. Still occasionally flying a couple of Glow engine planes that I built in the 80's
After finding the Flite Test site I got back into building. I had never used electric motors or the new style radios that you can adjust everything.
Big eye opener learning about mixes end points and expo. Things are much easier to set up once you start playing around.
In the last 6 months I have built a dozen FT models and still have all but 2 of them. The simple scout is by far the best I have 2 currently flying off floats in the snow. The PT40 that I built looked great, It died quickly when I flew it full throttle into an invisible lamp post! The nice thing is that most of the electronics survived, but I did loose a battery. Still nothing like loosing a balsa scratch build! So much more fun when you don't worry about loosing a $3.00 plane. Going to teach my grand kids one day.
View attachment 188983
Guessing 1958 is your age, if so your still younger than me.
There tends to be a lot of born again RC enthusiasts migrating here via Flite Test me included.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
View attachment 188983
Great looking builds - welcome back to the hobby! (y)

Headbang

Master member
View attachment 188983
Good to have you back in the hobby! New stuff sure beats crystal swapping, 1 tx per plane, christy mixers, and the old 550 can motors with a servo on a toggle switch. I still fly a few planes that I built in the 80's, but I leave them for special occasions. And occasionally I grab a wing I have been hauling around for 30yrs and rebuild the fuse from plans lol

The experience from back then is a huge plus, and sometimes you get to teach new ppl old tricks that makes life easier!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Thanks, I just put Your version of the Simple Stick together last night. I'm just like everyone else, still waiting for the FT version.
I just need to install the electronics. Very easy build.
I'm glad you built one - you'll like how it flies! Very clean build. (y)