Back into 3D Printing / Introduction...general rambling...

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
I took the plunge…again. I did it the first time 5 years ago. I was 2 years out from recovering from cancer so I guess that had something to do with my wife letting me blow $800 on a 3D printer. It was a Robo3D R1. I never got a print worth a darn off it. Spent what seemed like months of free time trying. I then moved to AZ and let a new friend use it and he a little more success than I did. In the end he stopped using it as well and got a CR10. It now sits back in it’s original box waiting for who knows what to happen. Until last week…

I pulled the trigger on a new CR10S Pro V2 with upgraded fans and Z axis supports. Also threw in Simplify3D. I bought it from a company in Houston TX that takes 3D printers from China (like Creality), upgrade, checked and verify the printer’s functionality (they even flashed upgraded firmware on mine) and then ship it to you. Yeah you pay extra however their customer service has been outstanding and I don’t even have my machine yet. After my previous experience I figured I would treat myself to the best 3D printer experience I could find under $1000. Tiny Machines was it. I also ordered a flexible/magnetic build plate from Wham Bam.

So now I wait planning what awesome things I’m going to print. Planes from 3DPrintLabs (but which one?). Part for my FT planes (of course). Helmets from all my favorite shows, history and movies…cause I can now. A 1 to 1 scale 50. Cal M2 machine gun with ammo belt (I was told this was staying in my hobby room with the helmets. Fine with me!). Custom orthopedics (I have very bad ankles). Either the Saturn V lamp or the 7 ft tall rocket / launch pad model. Models of Si-Fi ships I have found. Oh and all the usual plastic stuff folks usually print. I also plan on designing my own things. The first is a mod of a pegboard tile (not a pegboard accessory) that I found on Thingiverse. I’m sure there will be others.

So I’m back into 3D printing! Just wanted to introduce myself and say "Hi". Wish me luck and I’m open to advise.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I took the plunge…again. I did it the first time 5 years ago. I was 2 years out from recovering from cancer so I guess that had something to do with my wife letting me blow $800 on a 3D printer. It was a Robo3D R1. I never got a print worth a darn off it. Spent what seemed like months of free time trying. I then moved to AZ and let a new friend use it and he a little more success than I did. In the end he stopped using it as well and got a CR10. It now sits back in it’s original box waiting for who knows what to happen. Until last week…

I pulled the trigger on a new CR10S Pro V2 with upgraded fans and Z axis supports. Also threw in Simplify3D. I bought it from a company in Houston TX that takes 3D printers from China (like Creality), upgrade, checked and verify the printer’s functionality (they even flashed upgraded firmware on mine) and then ship it to you. Yeah you pay extra however their customer service has been outstanding and I don’t even have my machine yet. After my previous experience I figured I would treat myself to the best 3D printer experience I could find under $1000. Tiny Machines was it. I also ordered a flexible/magnetic build plate from Wham Bam.

So now I wait planning what awesome things I’m going to print. Planes from 3DPrintLabs (but which one?). Part for my FT planes (of course). Helmets from all my favorite shows, history and movies…cause I can now. A 1 to 1 scale 50. Cal M2 machine gun with ammo belt (I was told this was staying in my hobby room with the helmets. Fine with me!). Custom orthopedics (I have very bad ankles). Either the Saturn V lamp or the 7 ft tall rocket / launch pad model. Models of Si-Fi ships I have found. Oh and all the usual plastic stuff folks usually print. I also plan on designing my own things. The first is a mod of a pegboard tile (not a pegboard accessory) that I found on Thingiverse. I’m sure there will be others.

So I’m back into 3D printing! Just wanted to introduce myself and say "Hi". Wish me luck and I’m open to advise.

Good luck with everything! You'll find that a lot of the printing you'll do depends on how well that first layer sticks. There are things you can do for it to stick (hairspray, kids' glue sticks, blue painter's tape, ABS slurry, etc.), there are certain temps, there are even adjustments you need to make for different materials (i.e., are you printing ABS vs. PLA vs. TPU vs. PETG) other than just certain temperatures. Oh, and just a word of warning, if you aren't already aware of it - I don't know your 3D printing knowledge level - don't print ABS in a small, enclosed room. Have ventilation - ABS generates some noxious fumes; you may be better off printing with PETG instead.

Good luck with the printing; I'm sure you'll turn out a bunch of things. I know I print firewalls, control horns, various decorative parts for planes, fabric mask extenders (you put it around the back of your head and it helps keep the elastic from pulling at the back of your ears), coasters, brackets to hold up my green screen for Zoom calls, all sorts of fun stuff - some practical, some not so practical.

Rasterize

Mentor
Good luck with everything! You'll find that a lot of the printing you'll do depends on how well that first layer sticks. There are things you can do for it to stick (hairspray, kids' glue sticks, blue painter's tape, ABS slurry, etc.), there are certain temps, there are even adjustments you need to make for different materials (i.e., are you printing ABS vs. PLA vs. TPU vs. PETG) other than just certain temperatures....

That I do remember all that. I never liked all the stuff you had to use to get the first layer to stick. I really hope the Wham Bam flex/magnetic system works as well as they (the internets) say. Anyone use it yet?

Oh, and just a word of warning, if you aren't already aware of it - I don't know your 3D printing knowledge level - don't print ABS in a small, enclosed room. Have ventilation - ABS generates some noxious fumes; you may be better off printing with PETG instead.

Yep I remember that as well. I even had the Plexiglas pieces cut to make an enclosure for my old Robo3D R1.
Robo 3D.png
No filtering system but that could be added. I still have all the parts. I should sell all that stuff.

Good luck with the printing; I'm sure you'll turn out a bunch of things. I know I print firewalls, control horns, various decorative parts for planes, fabric mask extenders (you put it around the back of your head and it helps keep the elastic from pulling at the back of your ears), coasters, brackets to hold up my green screen for Zoom calls, all sorts of fun stuff - some practical, some not so practical.

I'm so looking forward to everything! Thanks for responding!

Springer

Raster! Great to read you again! I guess I forgot about your cancer, but it's great to hear you beat it. Talked to Dennis a couple weeks ago about a guy who wanted a kit.

Welcome back to 3DP. I got an Anet A8 a couple years ago on sale at Banggood. I print PLA and PET. I had a friend cut me a platen cover from quarter inch plate glass and use Aquanet hair spray for retention. Works a treat! I wash and respray every few months. Parts stick well as long as plate is warm, but once it cools they separate by themselves.

Pintuu

Good luck with everything! You'll find that a lot of the printing you'll do depends on how well that first layer sticks. There are things you can do for it to stick (hairspray, kids' glue sticks, blue painter's tape, ABS slurry, etc.), there are certain temps, there are even adjustments you need to make for different materials (i.e., are you printing ABS vs. PLA vs. TPU vs. PETG) other than just certain temperatures. Oh, and just a word of warning, if you aren't already aware of it - I don't know your 3D printing knowledge level - don't print ABS in a small, enclosed room. Have ventilation - ABS generates some noxious fumes; you may be better off printing with PETG instead.

Excellent!
www.pintuu.com

sprzout

Mentor
Raster! Great to read you again! I guess I forgot about your cancer, but it's great to hear you beat it. Talked to Dennis a couple weeks ago about a guy who wanted a kit.

Welcome back to 3DP. I got an Anet A8 a couple years ago on sale at Banggood. I print PLA and PET. I had a friend cut me a platen cover from quarter inch plate glass and use Aquanet hair spray for retention. Works a treat! I wash and respray every few months. Parts stick well as long as plate is warm, but once it cools they separate by themselves.

Aquanet is still around, huh? My grandmother used to use that stuff - gale force hurricanes wouldn't move her hair out of place! And somehow, it doesn't surprise me that it's suggested for using on a print bed. Low cost, high hold & stick...

dkj4linux

Elite member
Aquanet is still around, huh? My grandmother used to use that stuff - gale force hurricanes wouldn't move her hair out of place! And somehow, it doesn't surprise me that it's suggested for using on a print bed. Low cost, high hold & stick...
..and the smell brings back so many memories! Nothing like the "crunch" when you were lucky enough to get "close" to her... :love:

Rasterize

Mentor

Springer! Hey man long time no hear from! I just got my CR10S Pro V2 from Tiny Machines and printed my first Benchy this weekend. Looking forward to some time on the 4Tth of July weekend to do some more printing. The Wham Bam system seems to work great. We shall see how it does a few prints in. I really wanted to avoid the mess of glues and sprays.

sprzout

Mentor
..and the smell brings back so many memories! Nothing like the "crunch" when you were lucky enough to get "close" to her... :love:

I remember my grandmother spraying my head with it a few times. That's probably why I'm bald now. :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO: