Back to R/C flying

Mortarman

Hey flite test family, I have been ought of the hobby since 2017. I moved cross country and almost all of my hobby items were stolen by the moving company. All i was left with was a dle 35ra some random servos a couple esc's my charger and its power supply a couple spools of pla and abs. Anyways it was stressful and for some reason after it happened didnt want to replace my huge collection, let alone fly anymore. Flying was something that helped me deal with things after leaving the military, so have my main escape taken from me was devastating. Recently my wife who has helped me through everything asked me if i was ever going to start flying again, and i didnt really have answer as to why i shouldnt or wouldnt. I figured id start the same way i did then and buy 20 sheets of foamboard and decided to check out the flite test forums. Although this time i think ill be going with an opentx transmitter instead of another dx9. I was thinking about the jumper t16 pro any other suggestions? I was also considering frsky horus x10s express but dont know if the price increase is worth it for my fixed wing needs. Anyways its great to be back and i can't wait to start flying.

mach1 rc

Master member
Hey flite test family, I have been ought of the hobby since 2017. I moved cross country and almost all of my hobby items were stolen by the moving company. All i was left with was a dle 35ra some random servos a couple esc's my charger and its power supply a couple spools of pla and abs. Anyways it was stressful and for some reason after it happened didnt want to replace my huge collection, let alone fly anymore. Flying was something that helped me deal with things after leaving the military, so have my main escape taken from me was devastating. Recently my wife who has helped me through everything asked me if i was ever going to start flying again, and i didnt really have answer as to why i shouldnt or wouldnt. I figured id start the same way i did then and buy 20 sheets of foamboard and decided to check out the flite test forums. Although this time i think ill be going with an opentx transmitter instead of another dx9. I was thinking about the jumper t16 pro any other suggestions? I was also considering frsky horus x10s express but dont know if the price increase is worth it for my fixed wing needs. Anyways its great to be back and i can't wait to start flying.
How did the moving company steal all your planes?🤔
Welcome to the forums and welcome back to the hobby😀😀
For transmitters I really like the FsFly T-i8

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member

Hi Mortarman!

Sorry that all your RC equipment was stolen, that must have been awful! Anyway, welcome to the forums! I'm glad you're flying again! What plane are you going to build first? I just built the FT-22, it would be a great one to build first since you already know how to fly. It's very easy to fly and is a quick build!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Welcome back to the world mate. I to got into flying and it pulled me out of a dark and bad place. Hopefully the new laws dont send me back by killing the hobby for us all.

I started with a Devo7 radio when I got back in the hobby as it came with an arf kit. Then I moved up to the Taranis X9D and added the hall effect gimbals when they came out. Probably wont ever need a new radio unless I break it or the FCC makes them obsolete. I also picked up a multi protocol module for it to cover all bases.

Taranis is a good radio just be aware the newer ones have a new proprietary protocol so if you get a new one make sure you get proper receivers as well.

Currently the bandwagoneers are grabbing Jumpers left and right as they have all the chip sets in them to fly anything current produced. From what is being said its a nice radio and seems to work for most who have already worked in setting up models in Opentx.

Finicky lot we are now that social media rallies people faster to all the new hotness.

Mortarman

How did the moving company steal all your planes?🤔
Welcome to the forums and welcome back to the hobby😀😀
For transmitters I really like the FsFly T-i8
So basically we hired an interstate moving company through a reputable broker, to move us from point a to point b, at some point allegedly they werent going to be able to make the trip in the alloted time, so they decided to subcontract the move out to a second company unannounced to me. We later learned this is a common scheme amongst interstate movers. They take a contract then claim they "cant" fufill it and pass it off to another business they own that they base out of state on paper. They pick your stuff up, go through it, and take anything they can sell or just try to hold your stuff hostage until you agree to pay way more than the original contract with company A. Its extremely hard to prosecute because you usually sign a contract in state A, you dont realize until your in state b, you call local cops in state b,theyll take a statement but say you youll have to file the report in state A. You call state A, they require you file a report in person. Finally get state A to look into it, moving company A is based in state C, moving company A blames moving company B, who is conveniently based in state D. Moving company B blames A, and eventually police stop looking into it because its goes in circles and no one can say where the theft was committed and who has jurisdiction. Then their insurance offers to pay for the items by weight not by retail or used value at less than a dollar per pound. Luckily I my renters insurance which covered about 45% of the loss of my rc, tools, 3d printer, electronics and pc.

Mortarman

Hi Mortarman!

Sorry that all your RC equipment was stolen, that must have been awful! Anyway, welcome to the forums! I'm glad you're flying again! What plane are you going to build first? I just built the FT-22, it would be a great one to build first since you already know how to fly. It's very easy to fly and is a quick build!
I was thinking of a warbird, either a corsair or p47 but the ft-22 is on the list for sure!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I was thinking of a warbird, either a corsair or p47 but the ft-22 is on the list for sure!
Welcome back. Sucks when your stuff gets lost in transit and once the dust settles all there is left is the finger pointing and lazy cops who have an aversion to paperwork, or any work for that matter. Protect and Serve Dunkin Donuts. Given that I am not really worried about drone laws being enforced.

As far as your new Tx goes, survey says the T16 is the best bang for your buck Open Tx on the market, will do anything you need and if you throw a stone into some reviews it is highly recommended. It's going to be my next if something better doesn't come on the market first. Actually @Wildthing just got one, he will tell you what he thinks of it.

As far as your next builds I like where you are going with the WW2 warbirds, there is actually a new Master Series Spitfire about to be released and some pretty sick EDF/BDF jets coming out as well. If you like Scale flying the P-38 or Corsair will be your best friends but if you like something with a bit more energy the P-47 or the soon to be released Spit might be what you are after. You want more fun then that, yea do the FT-22

What is your style of flying?

Wildthing

Legendary member
Welcome back to the hobby, sorry about your move that really sucks.

I just recently picked up the Jumper T16 Pro , I don't think there is anything it can't do and the price is excellent.

Mortarman

Welcome back to the world mate. I to got into flying and it pulled me out of a dark and bad place. Hopefully the new laws dont send me back by killing the hobby for us all.

I started with a Devo7 radio when I got back in the hobby as it came with an arf kit. Then I moved up to the Taranis X9D and added the hall effect gimbals when they came out. Probably wont ever need a new radio unless I break it or the FCC makes them obsolete. I also picked up a multi protocol module for it to cover all bases.

Taranis is a good radio just be aware the newer ones have a new proprietary protocol so if you get a new one make sure you get proper receivers as well.

Currently the bandwagoneers are grabbing Jumpers left and right as they have all the chip sets in them to fly anything current produced. From what is being said its a nice radio and seems to work for most who have already worked in setting up models in Opentx.

Finicky lot we are now that social media rallies people faster to all the new hotness.

Before i left the hobby i was really looking into frsky due to some issues with spektrum, i loved the idea of open source and they seemed to be one of the best at the time. I was kind of shocked to hear about all the stuff going on with the access protocol with encryption and trying to strong arm their distributers into not carrying certain products. I get that they poured alot of resources and money into the opentx community but you cant just decide that once your at the top that someone else cant use the open source software to compete with you. Once again i have been out of the hobby for some time and let me know if any of this is wrong or misguided

Mortarman

Welcome back. Sucks when your stuff gets lost in transit and once the dust settles all there is left is the finger pointing and lazy cops who have an aversion to paperwork, or any work for that matter. Protect and Serve Dunkin Donuts. Given that I am not really worried about drone laws being enforced.

As far as your new Tx goes, survey says the T16 is the best bang for your buck Open Tx on the market, will do anything you need and if you throw a stone into some reviews it is highly recommended. It's going to be my next if something better doesn't come on the market first. Actually @Wildthing just got one, he will tell you what he thinks of it.

As far as your next builds I like where you are going with the WW2 warbirds, there is actually a new Master Series Spitfire about to be released and some pretty sick EDF/BDF jets coming out as well. If you like Scale flying the P-38 or Corsair will be your best friends but if you like something with a bit more energy the P-47 or the soon to be released Spit might be what you are after. You want more fun then that, yea do the FT-22
I
What is your style of flying?
I was mainly into scale and sport flying and towards the end i had gotten into some fpv, i had an skywalker X8 fpv wing setup. The last plane I was working on was my first 1/4 scale, a RCGuys Decathalon with a DLE 35ra with an EME electric start it was almost ready to maiden but i decided to wait until i got moved and settled to fly . I still have the motor because I packed it in my car with a big box of items that i packed last minute off of my workbench in my office. So i have my icharger and a couple brushless motors, 3 escs and some random servos and lipos.

Mortarman

Welcome back to the hobby, sorry about your move that really sucks.

I just recently picked up the Jumper T16 Pro , I don't think there is anything it can't do and the price is excellent.
Im going with the Jumper T16 pro When i first started flying i immediately bought a dx9 knowing i would grow into it. I always try to buy once, cry once for stuff like this or tools. But with t16 the features you get for the price pretty much checks every box for me.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Im going with the Jumper T16 pro When i first started flying i immediately bought a dx9 knowing i would grow into it. I always try to buy once, cry once for stuff like this or tools. But with t16 the features you get for the price pretty much checks every box for me.

Mine was $251.00 CA through Amazon.ca delivered to my door, batteries and charger extra. :)
It has taken a bit for me to find my way around in it and learn the programming but now that I am getting the hang of it I like it, at first I thought what the heck did I get myself into. :D

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Mine was $251.00 CA through Amazon.ca delivered to my door, batteries and charger extra. :)
It has taken a bit for me to find my way around in it and learn the programming but now that I am getting the hang of it I like it, at first I thought what the heck did I get myself into. :D
I have seen there are a bunch of tutorial vids on it, but you will be the one I consult when I pick one up

Mortarman

I am still teething so you might be the big brother to look up to
Yea im going to be in the same boat are there specific videos for the t16 for absolute noobs? Most ive the ones ive come across were geared more towards people coming from other opentx to frsky platforms. this will be my first opentx product and from what i understand once you get over the steeper learning curve youd never want to go back to a proprietary radio like spektrum.