Back to the basics and on to the next level-The next phase of my RC Experience(learning diary)

Vimana89

Legendary member
I've had this idea for a while floating around and it'd be a huge undertaking that requires a 3D printer or such manufacturing tech, but would evolve the hobby and sell like hot cakes. Think of the Legos and K'nex toys either you or your kids played with. Why can't we make a similar system for kit/custom building small electric planes? There's so many combos that can be made by literally just having a stick fuselage that everything else clips or mounts to, in either a way similar to K'nex toys, or better yet, to the way optics and accessories mount to a rail on firearms. You could have either foam or film based wings and tail feathers that are interchangeable and can be slid and locked down to any position along the fuselage. The motor would mount the same way either as a pusher or tractor, with a slightly elevated version for high mount pushers.

Vimana89

Legendary member
So, I've now got some 4ch experience under my belt, although my 4ch planes have been flawed to varying degrees, they were enough to get me more used to using rudder on the left stick and even integrating it with ailerons or elevons. Not a bad start. My first EDF attempt was a bummer, but I learned a lot from it, so I'm looking forward to doing it again, but differently, when the time comes. My first two entries for FTFC20 Build-Ruary are neat and taught me a lot, but are somewhat flawed, and I'm itching to submit something to the challenge that's smooth and high performance. I have confidence the Vector will be really nice, but I also want to deliver another custom heavy hitter.

My little action cam has crapped, so along with my Vector kit and other parts I ordered today, I've got a new little action camera that does 4k coming. It's a bit larger than my last one, but should still mount to a hat no prob.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Been a while since I updated this thread. I need a place for a general update and haven't made ridiculously huge progress(though steady learning and some new and interesting stuff) since last post, so I'll revive it. I've currently used up almost all of my large sheets of foam, nearly all of my glue, pen knife blades, and several other resources, and all of my available electronics setups are in use, so I'm going to have to order new supplies soon. I planned to do a small break from building for a while so this will be it. I've got a good amount of work to do in terms of organizing and taking inventory of my current supplies and maybe fixing some old broken parts, which are other things which I've been putting off a while.

I need to do a bit of work on my profile in terms of updating some things, maybe a couple new pics and an index or compendium thread, a dedicated thread for the Hawk Moth, and a couple other minor things like that. I've also been planning to write a couple articles for a while, but haven't found the time or inspiration.

I've hit a point where things are slowing a bit with the hobby compared to late last year and the beginning of this one, and a bit of a plateau in design, building, and flying skill that hasn't stopped progress at all, but slowed it to small steps. Inspiration isn't always what it used to be at the moment, but it's there in spurts. That's cool with me, still plenty to explore at whatever pace works(y). I haven't went back to an EDF or attempted a twin yet, and I haven't been too ambitious with complex air foils or fancy stuff like that yet, but I have tried a big variety of single engine 4ch designs with flat plate and simplified KF wings. I've stepped out of my A and F pack comfort zone just a bit and used the old B pack and 10" prop successfully on one design(Hawk Moth).

Since I'll be ordering and paying a bit more for certain supplies like foam board itself, I will only be getting like 2 new electronics sets next restock. One will most likely be another of the old B pack motor that comes with free 10" props. The other is undecided, and could be another A or F pack or B or something new. I still don't attempt to do a twin or EDF for a bit, so I'll still be focusing on single engine 4ch birds for a while longer, but most likely more refined and sophisticated than my really quick flat plate wing builds. I'll be getting some more Y harnesses to do proper ailerons on a couple builds. I may work landing gear into at least one build soon just to do it right and get the benefit of protected props on a tractor or slot setup.

Other than that, I'll just be flying and maintaining what I've got. I'll be sure to share some ideas soon for what I'll be building next when I order stuff.

mayan

Legendary member
I hear you buddy about the burn out. I feel the same lately, although I am getting it back up again as of late. I too am still to explor so many aspects of the hobby; twin, edf (successfully), FPV and so much more :). Happy to read so sum up upsdate from you :).

Vimana89

Legendary member
I've got 9 planes now that all fly good, with a few that fly particularly nicely. FT is still sitting on my order containing backordered EZ 2ch kits for months, I've got no readily available parts left to use except a set for an F pack motor that needs one cable fixed. I may order some more parts here soon, but it may not be a whole lot, so there will probably be only a couple of new builds in the near future. I'm also low on foam and other supplies.

Out of those 9 planes, a few(Charlie and DR1 mostly) need maintenance and repair to areas of minor damage and moderate wear. I still have been too lazy to organize my supply and tool drawers. For a bit, I'm going to cut down on the building to do some maintenance and repairs, maybe even some new graphics or a touch of additional paint here or there. I'm also going to finally organize my supplies and tools. I'll probably end up doing a bit of design work on the side for some future concepts, just quick sketches and brainstorming.

Weather seems to be improving a bit for flying, but I've been a bit depressed lately. I've been flying, but maybe not as much as I could. Maybe a freshly maintained fleet and a couple new batteries and some new props would motivate me a bit.

My game plan this year is still 4ch single engine planes with the odd 3ch V-tailer, but I want to up the sophistication just a bit. I want to stick to the KFM and occasional flat-plate air foils for a bit longer without getting too into different more complex ones just yet.

I want to focus first on a few key areas, including having either landing gear or a protected prop scheme emphasized on my next few models. I want a clean, low-profile electronics scheme, but with convenient battery hatch(I've developed a couple good ones). I want to build for good durability and service length, and clean look while still maintaining simplicity. I basically want to maximize the skills I already have and build planes that are a little higher quality than a quick prototype.
I'll be doing this mostly with designs I know will work well, but may try something weird or new or semi-scale here and there.

I'll be sure to update, and post some flight footage or design sketches here and there(y)

bracesport

Legendary member
@Vimana89 - I am yet to crack the 4 channel - I was recently given a 4Ch DLG, but to be honest, I am still flying bank and yank! I have dialled down the builds for a bit to try and focus on flying, but I must say I find it hard to put down the tools! Spring is here but also the storms, and while often the wind has been perfect for the slope, the rain has accompanied the wind. In the meantime, I have found solace in building lithium ION batteries and Open TX programming - I too have nine ships in a ready to fly mode, so when the weather is favourable... I am ready! :)

Vimana89

Legendary member
@Vimana89 - I am yet to crack the 4 channel - I was recently given a 4Ch DLG, but to be honest, I am still flying bank and yank! I have dialled down the builds for a bit to try and focus on flying, but I must say I find it hard to put down the tools! Spring is here but also the storms, and while often the wind has been perfect for the slope, the rain has accompanied the wind. In the meantime, I have found solace in building lithium ION batteries and Open TX programming - I too have nine ships in a ready to fly mode, so when the weather is favourable... I am ready! :)
Sounds like it will be fun when you are able to fly(y)

Vimana89

Legendary member
I fixed up the DR1 and Charlie to workable condition, touched up the paint on the Charlie just a bit, and gave the poster board portion of the DR1 a new metallic purple paint job, where it was just sloppy faded orange sharpie before. The only other maintenance needed at the moment is some packing tape on a leading edge or to hold letters on that are coming loose, on a couple of my other planes.

I'm tossing some ideas around in my head for future projects. A possibility is a 3ch V tail combat style, basically just a Baron with a 3ch V tail setup or something like that. Somebody may have already done it. There's a possibility of rebuilding a cleaner version of my 4 wing plane or doing another multi wing project. Those are just a couple ideas, there's plenty more.

Vimana89

Legendary member
My hobby supply drawers are cleaned and organized. They are still somewhat cluttered, but there's no absolute garbage in them and everything is organized into its correct drawer(top is Vinyl, paint, brushes, decals, Velcro, skewers/spars, etc., middle is electronics, firewalls, control horns, rods, and screws, and bottom is tools, tape, glue, pencils, etc.) with a plastic bin for props.

Got some electronics coming in tomorrow, and foam on Thursday. I'm ready to rock and crank out some builds.