Back to the basics and on to the next level-The next phase of my RC Experience(learning diary)

Vimana89

Legendary member
Took out the Arrowhead and Vulcan. Everything went great and I learned something important: I saw a lot of my rolls would dip or drop or Dutch roll rather than being nice and axial. I found at too low throttle and too hard and fast on the throws this happens, and also if there is a lot of elevator involved. My planes are both on 1806 motors and don't have overly huge ailerons, so they need 90-100% throttle to really get those crisp rolls. Part of the trick to making the roll more axial is to be on a straight trajectory and not involve a lot of elevator if any in the roll. I imagine planes with a lot of spare thrust and big surfaces like 3d planes can slow roll better and roll axially at any pitch, but with my delta types so far it takes a little more than just banging the stick to get the perfect roll.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Still looks good out might go fly some more, or maybe I'll start my DR1 kit I've had since February. I think now I'm at the level to get the most out of it, plus I've got the Charlie coming up, I'll see about ordering it tonight or tomorrow. Basically, what this means is for my next two builds, I plan to take a break from scratch builds and my own stuff and do a couple FT birds. The mini Scout was my first and only FT build experience and was something that helped along the way in my learning experiences but never got it to fly very good or last too long when I was new. Since then, I've done a lot of work on my own build and design process, but FT has such a nice and extensive line-up, and building some more of their planes will give me an opportunity to learn more of their building techniques.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Tons of wind lately. I will have the finances to order my Charlie and some more parts and power plants this coming Friday👍. High winds will probably last all week. I'm tossing together a new version of my small slender delta with triple vertical stabilizers and elevons. Air frame weighs next to nothing, so I'm debating if I should use my 2806 or borrow a lighter 1806 off something to power it🤔 Also this week, I'll be starting to draw up plans for the '39.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Gearing up to buy the Charlie kit and big load of parts to expand and maintain my fleet! Orders will be placed Friday. The success of my little tri-tailed slender delta is big, because the only issue it has it super limited throws, which is mechanical/build related. This means I'm on the right track and basically have a good working design with elevons. This is more of what I intended in the first place for my baseline slender delta build. The RET design V Sliver gives better control and turns in high alpha and is a cool option, but this new slender delta with elevons handles better in every other respect. A super awesome 4ch slender delta with all the bells and whistles is definitely in the foreseeable future!

I also plan to sit down and learn to solder with a bit of help some time soon. I have two lightweight receivers with one broken antenna each and a nice, otherwise pretty new 2205 with one of the three cables mostly shredded up, but enough left to cut and extend. Another motor and two more receivers on deck would be nice, plus this phase of my adventure is a lot about making the most of my equipment and resources.

In the mean time I'll try to fly when the wind allows, clean and organize my work spaces and containers/drawers and all my parts and tools and stuff, and do some work here and there on my FTFC20 entries. I think I'll try to start working up the rebuild of the Floating Kidney, first by testing the nose box as a B fold, and then by making a perfected wing.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Shopping list for today is going to be pretty big! I'll be ordering my Charlie kit, a couple more motors, and all the other stuff required to make extra power setups, plus small stuff like servos, props, and push rods. I'm going to try to get a 1000 or 1100 mAh battery that fits snug with the DR1, and look into some wheels and watch the part of the vid on how to mount the landing gear. I'm really looking forward to flying it again, but being patient because I'd hate to bang it up(especially the low wing) on landing without the gear to at least absorb some shock, plus I want to get that CG just perfect. I'll also be ordering a couple other brand new batteries, probably a 650 and 850 3s. I'm going to whip out my voltage alarms and test them/get used to using them before I start heavily using any of the new batteries.

After or at the same time as my Charlie build, I'll be getting back to my FTFC20 entries here as well, with the next(and hopefully finalized) Floating Kidney coming next(not much needs changing, mainly small tweaks), plus the '39 plans. Vulcan had the best first maiden/first prototype, so I'm going to re-do that one last, as there's very little that needs to be changed. The only other side project that I might be working on at this timeframe is a custom Nutball, which is an easy guaranteed one evening project, probably more like a couple hours max if I stay on task.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Ordered all my stuff; a Charlie kit, another 2205 and 1806 Radial, 3x FT 20a ESC, 3s batteries: 850 75c, 650 75c, and a special sized 1100 I think 50c that is skinny to fit the battery slot in the DR1. Three new receivers, another bulk pack of 9g servos, rods, horns, and some new props to test: 5x3.7x4 and 5x4x4, mainly for running the slender delta on a 1806 but getting more spare thrust, possibly playing with on the Arrowhead too, plus some 6x4 slow flyers for the DR and Charlie(will see how they work on that, might get some 6x4.5 as well).

Tazman

I feel that I'm at another critical turning point in the hobby/journey of designing, building, and flying RC aircraft, and that with the experience I have now and the direction I want to head in, it is the perfect time to share my experiences, lessons learned, challenges, etc., as well as some of the random RC related musings, ideas, and future plans I may have, in a fashion similar to how @mayan and @basslord1124 have been doing it.

For those who might know nothing about me, I'll give a brief summary. I joined in late 2018 with absolutely no practical experience in RC design, building, and flying(but wanting to do all three), having simply seen a lot of YouTube videos, flown a couple cheap RC planes as a teen. I have also been around full scale aviation to some degree or another for all of my life, so I have some passing knowledge of planes here and there, and had made many fancy paper planes as a kid, but at the time I joined FT, I had forgotten everything I may have ever picked up about aerodynamics, including even the names of different control surfaces and how they worked. All that considered, I came in right from the start wanting to work with my own(rather unconventional) design ideas right off the bat, without having bought a ready to fly trainer, built a kit, built off a plan, or even used a simulator. I'm sure most people who don't know the whole story can guess how that went, so that's why I came here to the forum looking for help.

When I first joined, I was(and still am), not at a great place in my life. I had an awful attitude about my experiences with the hobby up to that point, the learning process, and life in general, though I was desperate for a fulfilling hobby, sense of accomplishment, and creative outlet, and RC seemed like a good thing for all of that. I was stubborn at first, impatient, and desperate to prove myself and jump right into my own designs. Despite my bad attitude and approach, I got nothing but enthusiastic help, constructive criticism, and encouragement here, so much more than I would even have expected, and it softened my attitude a bit. I started listening to some advice, making some compromises(that actually turned out to be shortcuts to my goals rather than detours), used a sim, bough a simple trainer, and actually started to see some success, including with a few of my own designs!

Now, here I am, a few months after my first successful flight with a trainer and some of my first designs earlier this year. I can now reliably record footage and have a YouTube, though I'm still not the best at editing and filming. Since my first successes, which were low aspect 3ch RET planes, I have sort of gone on a stint of obsessively slapping together quick, simple, RET planes, and trying a lot of different low aspect designs, usually quick stuff that takes a single evening to make, like Nutball and Flyer level stuff. I've gotten pretty good at building and flying those Nutbally type planes, and even got a slender delta build to fly well on RET(actually one of my first designs to work), but I've had a bit of trouble trying to design and build more "conventional" types of planes(although I can fly store bought ones like the Champ fine) and in moving out of RET and into 3ch AET(ailerons). I've also definitely hit a wall with the slender delta trying step up to elevons.

Why did I start hitting these walls? Well, I have a way of putting the cart in front of the horse and jumping ahead into stuff, and going my own way before learning all the basics. So far, in balance and with a few compromises, that method has actually been pretty successful in getting me very far very fast, but I'm at a point where I'm going to want to drop back and shore up some holes in my basic knowledge base and methods, some of the "little stuff" I overlooked early on, like not discharging batteries past a certain point or storing them charged past a certain point, and having the tools like battery alarms and a watt meter, for example, as well as some basic aerodynamic related stuff. I'd like to avoid getting stuck in a rut and still only be able to build and fly low aspect RET planes with no air foil(as awesome as those are!) a year from now, while a lot of other people who took a more conventional approach are already building and flying much more ambitious and complex planes.

Anyway, long spiel over, thanks for listening. Time to set a few goals and objectives for moving forward.

Tazman

I feel that I'm at another critical turning point in the hobby/journey of designing, building, and flying RC aircraft, and that with the experience I have now and the direction I want to head in, it is the perfect time to share my experiences, lessons learned, challenges, etc., as well as some of the random RC related musings, ideas, and future plans I may have, in a fashion similar to how @mayan and @basslord1124 have been doing it.

For those who might know nothing about me, I'll give a brief summary. I joined in late 2018 with absolutely no practical experience in RC design, building, and flying(but wanting to do all three), having simply seen a lot of YouTube videos, flown a couple cheap RC planes as a teen. I have also been around full scale aviation to some degree or another for all of my life, so I have some passing knowledge of planes here and there, and had made many fancy paper planes as a kid, but at the time I joined FT, I had forgotten everything I may have ever picked up about aerodynamics, including even the names of different control surfaces and how they worked. All that considered, I came in right from the start wanting to work with my own(rather unconventional) design ideas right off the bat, without having bought a ready to fly trainer, built a kit, built off a plan, or even used a simulator. I'm sure most people who don't know the whole story can guess how that went, so that's why I came here to the forum looking for help.

When I first joined, I was(and still am), not at a great place in my life. I had an awful attitude about my experiences with the hobby up to that point, the learning process, and life in general, though I was desperate for a fulfilling hobby, sense of accomplishment, and creative outlet, and RC seemed like a good thing for all of that. I was stubborn at first, impatient, and desperate to prove myself and jump right into my own designs. Despite my bad attitude and approach, I got nothing but enthusiastic help, constructive criticism, and encouragement here, so much more than I would even have expected, and it softened my attitude a bit. I started listening to some advice, making some compromises(that actually turned out to be shortcuts to my goals rather than detours), used a sim, bough a simple trainer, and actually started to see some success, including with a few of my own designs!

Now, here I am, a few months after my first successful flight with a trainer and some of my first designs earlier this year. I can now reliably record footage and have a YouTube, though I'm still not the best at editing and filming. Since my first successes, which were low aspect 3ch RET planes, I have sort of gone on a stint of obsessively slapping together quick, simple, RET planes, and trying a lot of different low aspect designs, usually quick stuff that takes a single evening to make, like Nutball and Flyer level stuff. I've gotten pretty good at building and flying those Nutbally type planes, and even got a slender delta build to fly well on RET(actually one of my first designs to work), but I've had a bit of trouble trying to design and build more "conventional" types of planes(although I can fly store bought ones like the Champ fine) and in moving out of RET and into 3ch AET(ailerons). I've also definitely hit a wall with the slender delta trying step up to elevons.

Why did I start hitting these walls? Well, I have a way of putting the cart in front of the horse and jumping ahead into stuff, and going my own way before learning all the basics. So far, in balance and with a few compromises, that method has actually been pretty successful in getting me very far very fast, but I'm at a point where I'm going to want to drop back and shore up some holes in my basic knowledge base and methods, some of the "little stuff" I overlooked early on, like not discharging batteries past a certain point or storing them charged past a certain point, and having the tools like battery alarms and a watt meter, for example, as well as some basic aerodynamic related stuff. I'd like to avoid getting stuck in a rut and still only be able to build and fly low aspect RET planes with no air foil(as awesome as those are!) a year from now, while a lot of other people who took a more conventional approach are already building and flying much more ambitious and complex planes.

Anyway, long spiel over, thanks for listening. Time to set a few goals and objectives for moving forward.

Tazman

Well I can say you have the right attitude, you have a sensible plan and you are achieving your goal, you are not doing anything crazy above your level and through mistakes you have learned some valuable lessons and really nice for you to share with the community. I am proud to see guys like you taking on a challenging hobby and not only succeeding, but helping others with your life experience to not make the same mistakes and succeed as will. Please continue to post and share your wonderful success. Thanks

Tazman

For anyone unfamiliar with Dave Herbert, YouTube Channel NightFlyyer https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvPYY0HFGNha0BEY9up4xXw, his channel is totally worth a subscribe. He's been in the hobby a long time, but I only stumbled on his channel recently and commented back and forth with him on a couple of his vids. He built the most scale replica of the "Ancient Aliens" plane I've seen, and has been flying what most of us today would refer to as a Nutball since the 70's! From what I know, he was one of the first if not the first to rig lights to an RC plane and night fly.

Ancient Aliens

Elevon "Nutball"

Massive Cub

He also flies nitro helicopters very well, even does stunts and 3d, but not recklessly, which is something I'd be pretty terrified of, and you have to be very good to do safely.
Thanks for sharing those videos really nice, fun to watch.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Well I can say you have the right attitude, you have a sensible plan and you are achieving your goal, you are not doing anything crazy above your level and through mistakes you have learned some valuable lessons and really nice for you to share with the community. I am proud to see guys like you taking on a challenging hobby and not only succeeding, but helping others with your life experience to not make the same mistakes and succeed as will. Please continue to post and share your wonderful success. Thanks
Thanks for your interest and the kind words. I'll continue to post as I learn, and share random ideas and projects and other RC related experiences here👍

Vimana89

Legendary member
I dug out the remains of the thing my neighbor gave me, the twin engine Tom Clancy C-something(147). Paladin. This was a plane that came with an Xbox game. He admitted later he never got it to fly well either 😆. It was already a wreck when I got it but repaired and still flew bad and crashed again. This was quite a while ago. It has these really little ducted prop engines. It has twin engines and elevator 3ch only. It had this weird split elevator and wires and tail plane were jacked up. I had it sitting a while but looked today, the tail end came off revealing a servo lead like the kind we usually know. Bingo. Gonna clip the wing remains and fake 3rd and 4th engine.Not much thrust, kinda chunky. Needs a simple wing with low loading...I plant to use either a Nutball or similar Floating Kidney type wing.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Servos and one battery are here, still awaiting the bulk of my order. Had a crash with the slender delta due to servos, the screw was so small and annoying on the 3.7s I just gave up and used a spot of glue for the arm, which didn't hold up forever. I wanted to test the slender delta with the 1806 with the new four blade props. Might rebuild, but was possibly thinking of trying something a bit different with that motor. The battery that came was the Gaoneng 1100 I ordered for my DR1. Plot twist-it's smaller and lighter than my Tattu 850😆. I adjusted the battery compartment area to fit my 1300 on its skinny side instead. Will flight test!

Vimana89

Legendary member
The 1300 didn't do terribly much to ease the ballooning tendencies in the DR1, just made the plane feel heavier and kinda crappy at super slow flight and aerobatics. I gave a little more elevator down trim and it would have probably helped, but I launched at too low speed and it couldn't lift with that 1300 so I busted a prop...then the worst part, I powered it off and the motor kicked up violently for some reason and tore itself off with the mount and half a prop,barely missing my hand. I'm going to put this finicky bird away for now and come back with one of the lighter batteries and more down trim another day.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Next crazy quick park flyer idea: take a sheet of foam, looking longways, it would be an elongated diamond, all the way to a point on both ends and the widest part directly in the center as wide as the sheet. Pointy nose, prop in slot. But the back is pointy too you say, and elevons would be a funny angle. How will it be controlled? Answer: I haven't tried a V tail plane yet😎.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Next crazy quick park flyer idea: take a sheet of foam, looking longways, it would be an elongated diamond, all the way to a point on both ends and the widest part directly in the center as wide as the sheet. Pointy nose, prop in slot. But the back is pointy too you say, and elevons would be a funny angle. How will it be controlled? Answer: I haven't tried a V tail plane yet😎.
You could try making a big A tail, something like the White diamond https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/white-diamond-revealed-single-sheet-dtfb-flier.57931/
If you build it as a V tail I don't think you'll be able to bank.

Vimana89

Legendary member
You could try making a big A tail, something like the White diamond https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/white-diamond-revealed-single-sheet-dtfb-flier.57931/
If you build it as a V tail I don't think you'll be able to bank.
Your probably right.Never looked close to realize all V tail planes I see also have ailerons. Still might be worth trying, but might just be a lot like the White Diamond. If I were going that far, I'd probably just build the White Diamond. I'll probably just get to work on the next Floating Kidney and try some clean B folds on the little nose box, or just rebuild the slender delta.

Piotrsko

Master member
You can do a v tail without ailerons, lots of gliders fly this way, go look at @bracesport 's stuff. Set up the same as elevons but on the tail. Down sides, less cross wind response, barrel rolls only, need to be about 20% bigger.

Vimana89

Legendary member
You can do a v tail without ailerons, lots of gliders fly this way, go look at @bracesport 's stuff. Set up the same as elevons but on the tail. Down sides, less cross wind response, barrel rolls only, need to be about 20% bigger.
That's what I thought at first might be the case. I may give this a try after all. The low aspect shape should still be pretty responsive and easy to throw around with just the V tail elevons if I make them large enough.