Back to the basics and on to the next level-The next phase of my RC Experience(learning diary)

Vimana89

Legendary member
Got the new/remade plane to dial in, and I got me an Avro Vulcan that just needs linkages and electronics(and hopefully a pretty scale looking cockpit!), and I got the arrowhead still going strong. That's a whole lot of diverse delta awesomeness with different aspect ratios and control schemes.

Vimana89

Legendary member
The new little cruciform piece does add direction stability. Trimming in still. I will use 850 batteries next and see how the handling compares. I think the slight weight increase and more forward CG should make it handle well like the old model but still be a full ounce lighter just from the air frame.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
New build is missing the final two servo extender cables but fully loaded besides those, weighs 13.75 oz with 850 battery but a bit nose heavy like the last one,which wieghs 14.75 oz fully loaded 850. New bird CG seems perfect with a 650, which puts it at only 12.25 oz. I took off an ounce of pure air frame weight, and more if I get good balance with 650.
Wow that's quite a bit lighter!!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Wow that's quite a bit lighter!!
It needed the 850 just like the last one to fly a little better for CG but yeah a whole ounce off just on the air frame is big at this scale. The old wing was bulky and draggy and put strain where it connected with the one sheet thick portion. This is very sleek and strong.

Vimana89

Legendary member
My entire operational fixed wing fleet plus the air frame of the Vulcan prototype 1 awaiting electronics! I have a couple other air frames that have servos hooked and would be air worthy with parts and a couple minor repairs(original small V Sliver, yellow mini Tailed Nutball, first aileron '39 Special). Those are in the "Hangar".

Attachments

• IMG_1140.JPG
    IMG_1140.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
That big slender delta is lighter and generally more agreeable/relaxing to fly than the last two versions of the same build. Other than that, she suffers from the same flaws: A bit underpowered, doesn't high alpha, does not like sharp turns, especially without enough elevator(bad Dutch roll and nose dip, but no critical stall). Some acceptable to half way decent elevator punch-out, but could be better.

I was told a lot of my problems are related to the poor economics of the wing when it comes to getting the air flow needed to the control surfaces and that prop wash was necessary to assist them. I definitely agree with this. This has the same powerplant as my smaller, less slender version, which can high alpha and loop. Thrust to weight would be one obvious issue here, but even more important is that the prop is farther away from the control surfaces.

I like the way this version flies for now, for what it is, and will continue to fly it and work on my other more pressing projects. It is already impressive in that it is probably the most slender, lowest aspect fixed wing aircraft (that can still be called a plane rather than some sort of lifting body or heavier than air blimp) RC or scale, anyone has ever bothered to build and fly. I'll start thinking about ways to rework this design a bit, but that is a long term process that I'll need to consult a few people on and get a clearer picture. This one won't be a priority for a while until I get my FTFC20 entries finished up, and possibly not even until I can fly 4ch, because to get it beyond its current limitations will require some major work and skill.

Vimana89

Legendary member
After crashing the Arrowhead this morning I took out the Floating Kidney. Camera angle was bunk so I'll have to reshoot, but man is that thing aerobatic, stall proof, and a no-brainer to fly. Toss is around any way you like and it just goes. You'd almost have to deliberately force it into the ground to get it to crash. Wingovers, snap 360's, funnels, Immelmann, high speed flips, low speed flips, probably barrel rolls though I haven't tried. It also slow flies, flies fast, does high alpha, dead stick landings, glide and restart in air, and would probably do touch n' goes.

All this reaffirms where my focus should be now. Until next January/February, my priorities as far as build and design will from this point on be foremost focused on my FTFC20 entries at the exclusion of mostly everything else. My slender delta builds are now on the back burner once more after rebuilding the big one. I will still be flying and testing it, and theorizing of how to improve it down the road, but no real work will be taking place on it for a bit. My Arrowhead is a slightly different story. I want to get to the bottom of the issues it is having, so I'll be working that on the side, but with a lower priority and not in any real hurry.

No more new entries For FTFC20. I've got three with a nice variety that are all feasible or already successful with my current skill. My priorities at the moment are:

#1, finish up the Vulcan prototype and see how feasible a project it is to get it flying well by the deadline. If I nail this one or get close the first try will depend on how I prioritize from that point forward. If it's a dud, it goes on the back burner until I've finished my others.

#2, take another attempt at the P.A. special with the increase to wing chord and some cleaner, lighter construction techniques. This should end up being an improvement.

#3, I will very likely actually try one more version of the Floating Kidney, using some cleaner, lighter techniques as well, and increasing the wing chord a bit at the rear to bring it back around more exact to the original.

#4, start on plans. Been holding back a bit because I've wanted to work with better construction techniques and finalize a few more things on the builds.

Vimana89

Legendary member

Avro Vulcan is a success! This is a couple flights after maiden(forgot headband to mount cam for maiden).
This is honestly probably the best, smoothest maiden I've had, and it's a bummer I didn't have the cam for the very maiden, but I will have some footage with commentary of the second flight up on the build thread soon.

So, this was step one in my plan to focus on my FTFC20 entries. I assessed the feasibility of making this a successful flyer, and it surpassed my standards for being worth further pursuit. As I flight test the current Vulcan and see where I might make a couple tweaks(they would be very small, this plane is outstanding already), I'll move to step two, and take another shot at the 1939 popular aviation special. This one will really be my testbed for cleaner techniques like B folds and paper edges, which will be applied to the Vulcan and Floating Kidney as well. Rather than A folds and exposed foam core on the sides. I'll try once again with this one two trace out plans as I go, so I won't have to come back and do it later.

The only other plane I've enjoyed flying about as much as the Vulcan so far has been the Floating Kidney. Those are the best two in my fleet right now. The original 30" V Sliver and its crazy high alpha, and the Arrowhead and best prototype so far of the '39 Special all tie for second for different reasons that make them fun, but they just aren't quite as top notch(as they currently stand anyway), and all need further development. My main focus will continue to be on my FTFC20 stuff.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Going to take the next shot at the '39 special today. Going over the design changes for the Arrowhead. I am going to trace plans as I build the '39, and since my Vulcan and Floating Kidney prototypes are still running well, I can work in some time for the Arrowhead and another quick concept I've had in my head for a while, in between the '39 and updating my other two entries. This other concept is a low aspect oval plane like a Nutball or Floating Kidney, but with a slot prop and elevons instead of RET and a tractor. I think this would fly amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_1151.JPG
    IMG_1151.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Santa Anna winds going to be morning till night a few more days at least🙁. That does mean plenty of time to build though🤔👍

Vimana89

Legendary member
I think I'll do another air frame or two and then do electronics back to back. I've got the '39 air frame pretty much ready except linkages and electronics, and probably wouldn't be able to test for a few days at least because of weather. I believe I'll start on the Arrowhead next version as well, and get them both set up together before starting anything new or redoing one of my other FTFC20 entries.

Vimana89

Legendary member
No internet on my desktop, TV, or PS4 cause of those nasty winds. Guess I'm going to have to start building already.

Vimana89

Legendary member
My more disciplined and efficient approach combined and balanced with my fast prototyping skills is paying off. I've made several breakthroughs, one being success with elevons on the Vulcan,which itself was great right off the bat. The other is just now flying the second Arrowhead prototype. I had hit a wall with the roll issues, and tailed deltas aren't exactly a basic no brainer design, but @Grifflyer and I did some science 🤓, and made it work in a configuration that looks even cooler. Designing and aerodynamics skills improving. I can now pretty confidently fly all three channel control setups.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Progress update: I'm just as comfortable building and flying ailerons, and even elevons, as RET👍. I've been able to focus enough on just a couple projects at once, and put a little more thought into my designs, even though my prototyping process is quite rapid. I've been more efficient with my foam use and use of scrap foam, and been treating my equipment and resources better and more efficiently. From here, the goal will be to finish and polish up the FTFC20 entries and Arrowhead, and build my plane for the STEM Trifecta group build.

Vimana89

Legendary member
All that stated, I'm still looking ahead at what will be around the corner. I could simply take one of my existing designs, and try 4ch, or scale it up a bit as well as 4ch. I could try an EDF. I could revisit my ultra slender delta.With the slender delta designs, I have been considering a tail nacelle on the VS to put the prop right by the control surfaces like a Polaris. The only question is what control setup do I want? 4ch is more weight and complexity, but full control. With RET I'm potentially getting good control in high alpha and slow speed,and stall resistance,but clunkier turns and no full roll control. 3ch elevons gives me full roll control and clean banks, but no real maneuverability in high alpha, and less stall resistance.:unsure: I think a small size elevon version would be fairly easy to build and test.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Before anything else I think I'll see about a top hatch for for the '39 and fixing the thrust angle on the Arrowhead. I think for now I'll go fly something though!

Vimana89

Legendary member
So today it' windy, and I had the itch to build, but not much foam left. I was looking at one sheet which was enough for a small wing or low aspect plane and thinking of something quick to slap together. No inspiration flowing. Now isn't the time for a quick build, wasn't feeling it. I decided to continue the process of making tidying up the fit and finish on a couple of my FTFC20s that are ready to finalize into plans. I did my '39 last night, so today it's the Vulcan's turn. I'm going to take it a step further and fix the thrust angle on my Arrowhead and add a top hatch and tidy up my big ultra slender delta. Tape any leading edges not taped, and basically maintain and upgrade my current fleet.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Windy out, not much spare foam...some time on my hands, and still gotta order my Charlie. There's the DR1 speed build kit on my shelf looking pretty tempting:unsure:. I knew I'd have the desire to build it pretty soon here, and it would add some major variety to my fleet. I'm a stranger to multi wing but no stranger to RET.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Sky looking clear for some morning flight. Got 2 850s charged and TX on the Arrowhead, so I'll run a battery through that, and then the other through the Vulcan. I'll charge and after that try to do the '39 and Floating Kidney too!