Back to the basics and on to the next level-The next phase of my RC Experience(learning diary)

Vimana89

Legendary member
This said it was a "triplane in disguise", poor plans, hard to get a good look from every angle, but I've been considering my own version of something like this ever since I saw it:

1573530868433.png

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=8299

Vimana89

Legendary member
Tonight I'm going to rebuild my slender delta😀. I'm most likely going to build it just like I had it last with the tri-tail. I loved those rapid rolls, but will get more high alpha from the new four blade props I got with a slight reduction in top end speed. The other option that's tempting is to build it with a very slight diamond back and V tails. That would maneuver well in high alpha but no nice rolls.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Building that 3ch tri tale with normal elevons. The V tail slender delta would probably handle like a slightly more sophisticated version of my V Sliver RET version which is already fine for high alpha. It might bank a bit smoother though. I'd rather get that full roll and some high alpha with normal elevons, then maybe try the V tail version another time, or just jump to 4ch when I build on this further. I fly nose heavy anyway so I'm just going to change next to nothing from last time except the servos from 3.7 to 9g, and prop up from 5x3x3 to 5x3.7x4.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Still awaiting my stuff from FT, will check order again if it isn't here this afternoon. New slender delta is ok, taking a bit to dial it in right due to a bit of slop. No noticeable improvement since the last one, but I'm going to experiment more with batteries and props. If it works out well, cool, if it doesn't go so smooth, there's always the V tail version.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I might actually need to contact FT on my order:rolleyes:. They created a shipping label for in on November 3, and it's the 16th, and it's still in pre-ship...I'll give it another day and then I'll probably have to contact them. This is a little excessive for wait time just to send it out.

Other than that, flew the new slender delta with 5x3x3 again, and the four blade are better for that one. The design is still incapable of doing everything including high alpha, but it's getting there. I'm going to take the Arrowhead out with a 5x3x3 again for snappier rolls and a bit more speed and efficiency. A four blade prop on that one is good for super slow flight and slow aerobatics, probably some 3d, but I think the three blade is a better all arounder. I'll see about getting some time on the DR1 also.

Piotrsko

Master member
FWIW: I don't think your slender delta has enough wing area, I guess it's always in a high aplha. How about scaling it up 20%?

The Dr1 needs torque from a C with 11" prop. Hahahaha

Vimana89

Legendary member
My DR1 is about as far from a C pack and 11" prop as you can imagine, but flies outstanding. I've got an F pack 2205 radial and 5x4x4 prop and it's a slow fly and high alpha beast.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I got foam but not much spare electronics until FT ships my stuff. I want to start a build...a FTFC20 rebuild. Will it be the Vulcan, or the Floating Kidney? I think the Vulcan, since I have white FB...here's the bomb drop though...the rudder's going live!

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'll see if I have it in me to start a build today. Been pretty busy and stressed with some things in life...but maybe that's a reason to start building to give my mind a break from unpleasant 💩. It's either gonna be the Vulcan or Kidney, and either way, will test 4ch. I can make the dihedral tips on the Kidney very mild and just use elevons. This will also let me position the VS in the exact same spot as in the balsa plan to really match the profile 100%.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Well, my newest little slender delta bit the dust already😆. They go fast because that design is a difficult one to perfect, and I'm always pushing them to their limit to keep learning how I can improve. This one helped me learn something more about my own flying technique, and what I need to do to be better at rolls. I've been dipping bad coming out of certain rolls, especially a rapid series. It's my timing on just mashing the elevator before I'm registering that the plane is in upright position. This is a timing issue I'll have to get a hand and an eye for.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Been in a slump the past few days, and it's obvious now there's some issue with my order that they didn't bother contacting or emailing me about that I'm going to have to enquire into:rolleyes:-you get to that point where most of your life is just troubleshooting crap that goes wrong and there's very little patience left over for situations like this(just more stuff going wrong to spend time fixing), so I've been putting it off a bit. I'll try to get it resolved today. I'm hitting some burnout and that "blah", but I'd say the majority of it isn't even related to the hobby itself but all the other stuff in life that drains my energy. I may get around to doing/at least starting a build today of one of the FTFC20's as I have been intending for a while here, it all depends. I've got the foam and the time...just gotta get in the mood.

Vimana89

Legendary member
A few updates; I've been so distracted by some bummers and problems in life, I missed @mayan's video he posted on Monday, must have missed or lost it in my feed. I watched it just a bit ago, and it came at a good time to help lift me up a bit, so that's good news at least(y). Other good news, I went to email FT about my order with the Charlie kit and new motors and parts such as ESC's, and saw the update that the package actually moved. Maybe there was no issue, maybe they lost track of it, or were very busy and backlogged, because the label was created on the 3rd and it took until today(20th) to get to the region center, basically the same city it left the FT warehouse in(LA). Now that it's moving, it won't be more than another day or two before it's here-so @BATTLEAXE, I definitely haven't forgotten about the stem group build. My Charlie will be good to go really quick with that speed build kit and new parts. I'm starting to shake the funk a bit, so I'm going to do some work on resources/articles that I've been meaning to for a while, and then hopefully get to cranking out the build work again!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Man, I better get on releasing that Arrowhead properly...it's generated more interest already than I would have thought. That slight inner debate I had after the setbacks of prototype one, going out on a limb with some educated guesses aerodynamically speaking...worth it to try another version of this? Will my fixes really solve the problem? Well, the answer is a resounding yes! The results speak for themselves, and the end result is a rare bird indeed. Unique, yet in some ways a jack of all trades, but with its own character in the mix. A niche plane, yet somehow well rounded and with a broad appeal. I'm kind of tooting my own horn here, but I've designed a plane that's better than my skill level and has a high flight envelope and capability, yet is at least as easy to fly as any other basic AET plane, and I'm happy to share it with the community. It won't be long before I've got a proper resource and updated thread, but anybody who wants plans in the mean time, don't hesitate to ask or grab them here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dbY_Yre9XKjBmA-59vCZo8RqJRsZ2Y8W/view

mayan

Legendary member
Man, I better get on releasing that Arrowhead properly...it's generated more interest already than I would have thought. That slight inner debate I had after the setbacks of prototype one, going out on a limb with some educated guesses aerodynamically speaking...worth it to try another version of this? Will my fixes really solve the problem? Well, the answer is a resounding yes! The results speak for themselves, and the end result is a rare bird indeed. Unique, yet in some ways a jack of all trades, but with its own character in the mix. A niche plane, yet somehow well rounded and with a broad appeal. I'm kind of tooting my own horn here, but I've designed a plane that's better than my skill level and has a high flight envelope and capability, yet is at least as easy to fly as any other basic AET plane, and I'm happy to share it with the community. It won't be long before I've got a proper resource and updated thread, but anybody who wants plans in the mean time, don't hesitate to ask or grab them here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dbY_Yre9XKjBmA-59vCZo8RqJRsZ2Y8W/view
Highly recommended!!!

BTW watch my latest video that will be released later tonight to hear about a few additions that I'd make.

Vimana89

Legendary member
The Charlie was a huge success! This fills the roll of an all around trainer, onboard FPV platform, or any time casual fun flyer, and just looks great in the air. I learned some more about designing and building, and got a feel for a plane with very different flight characteristics than most of my fleet. The STEM designs almost seem a little overengineered from my build and design perspective, but id you've got the skills and equipment and programs, why not go for broke? I think the level of attention to detail in the design is part of what makes it worth the work and gives it a good chance of flying well right off the bat with little or no tweaking. This has given me a bit of renewed vigor to keep going as minimalist as possible with the amount of tabs/slots, cuts, folds, and separate parts for my basic line of FTFC20 designs, while not sacrificing any performance or structural integrity. I'd really like to get on a 4ch version of the Vulcan with some clean B folds on the fuselage. That's what will likely be my next build. I doubt I'll be starting that one today, as I need to take a building break and clean/organize my plane stuff.