BAD ESC and I'm totally frustrated at their customer service or lack thereof

ldharris84

Let me tell a little story about a group of us who had a build party last month after one of our club members, who is into combat, got us hooked on Bloody Barons. I purchased a Bloody Baron and FT Power Pack C Radial v2 and decided, as did the others, to build them last month as a build party. We had planned on making two. Well, things went differently for two of us. After the power box was built, I hooked up one of my AR410 Spektrum receivers, and nothing would turn on. Nothing happened. There were no lights on the receiver, but we got a beep from the ESC, so I figured it may have been a defective receiver, so I tried my other receiver with the same results. Nothing indicated what the actual problem could have been, just that there wasn't anything working when the battery was plugged into the ESC. One of the other builders said he had another receiver in his bag we could try, an AR620. It, too, didn't turn on, so three receivers were defective. Or so we thought.

We then said we knew the AR620 in his Bloody Baron was working. Let us try that one. When we plugged it into the battery, it didn't work (now the fourth receiver wasn't working), and since he was installing it into his plane, the attached servo started to smoke. We unplugged and knew something was wrong with the ESC purchased as part of the Power Pack. The ESC killed four receivers, 2 Spektrum 410 receivers, 2 Spektrum 620 receivers, and one servo because the BEC was not limiting the voltage to the receiver. It let all of the 4S battery volts straight through to the receiver. We would have never checked the output with a multimeter if not for the smoking servo. When we checked it with the multimeter, the ESC put out over 16v to the receiver. Fried it, and again, we could only determine what was going on because the last receiver was known to be working and had a servo attached that started smoking.

I sent the ESC back to Flite Test and one of the four receivers back to Flite Test, and they, too, verified that the ESC was the culprit (which we already knew based on the volts coming through), and the Flite Test team said that they had never seen one of these do this before. The Flite Test team is only willing to replace a single receiver. However, I'm still out 140 dollars as I paid my friend 100 dollars to replace his two fried receivers because of the defective ESC purchased from Flite Test. Because that was the right thing for me to do, my friend shouldn't be out 100 bucks due to a bad ESC. I'm not worrying about them replacing a blown servo, as that's a small price compared to the total of 3 receivers we lost that day, as Flite Test is only willing to reimburse us for one of the receivers. I had hoped Flite Test would do the right thing as I did for my friend and take care of this issue. This issue wasn't anything I did wrong, but due to a faulty product. I don't like to call out organizations or companies in public forums publically, and this is my first time doing this, but after the rep stopped replying after my last question about possibly throwing in some kits to make me whole) and no return acknowledgment from the president (I reached out via DM on Facebook and LinkedIn). This post was my last option.
Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 7.21.43 AM.png

Last edited:

quorneng

Master member
I know it doesn't help but experience will tell you not to keep plugging things in when one does not appear to work.
Anything I have purchased I first test it with something that I know works. I keep a spare ESC, motor and servo tester on the work bench for exactly this purpose. A servo tester replaces what the receiver does and is a great deal cheaper to replace if anything goes wrong.
Having wrecked more than one receiver I only plug in a receiver after I have tested the ESC works normally.

ldharris84

I know it doesn't help but experience will tell you not to keep plugging things in when one does not appear to work.
Anything I have purchased I first test it with something that I know works. I keep a spare ESC, motor and servo tester on the work bench for exactly this purpose. A servo tester replaces what the receiver does and is a great deal cheaper to replace if anything goes wrong.
Having wrecked more than one receiver I only plug in a receiver after I have tested the ESC works normally.
I would disagree about the "experience" statement. Between the three of us that were building that day, there was about 80 years of experience with RC Airplanes. Me, with 20 being the least amount at that table. None of us had experienced a BEC failure before, nor had we ever tested the ESC for issues. FT, too had never seen this before with one of their products. Yes, we all plan on testing the volts now, but even the other members of our little group, who we test with about RC stuff with additional 80-plus years, were shocked. I would guarantee about 95% or more of the members on any of the forums ever ran a multimeter over their ESCs.

We all will now.

Thomas_Brown

Hey
Let me tell a little story about a group of us who had a build party last month after one of our club members, who is into combat, got us hooked on Bloody Barons. I purchased a Bloody Baron and FT Power Pack C Radial v2 and decided, as did the others, to build them last month as a build party. We had planned on making two. Well, things went differently for two of us. After the power box was built, I hooked up one of my AR410 Spektrum receivers, and nothing would turn on. Nothing happened. There were no lights on the receiver, but we got a beep from the ESC, so I figured it may have been a defective receiver, so I tried my other receiver with the same results. Nothing indicated what the actual problem could have been, just that there wasn't anything working when the battery was plugged into the ESC. One of the other builders said he had another receiver in his bag we could try, an AR620. It, too, didn't turn on, so three receivers were defective. Or so we thought.

We then said we knew the AR620 in his Bloody Baron was working. Let us try that one. When we plugged it into the battery, it didn't work (now the fourth receiver wasn't working), and since he was installing it into his plane, the attached servo started to smoke. We unplugged and knew something was wrong with the ESC purchased as part of the Power Pack. The ESC killed four receivers, 2 Spektrum 410 receivers, 2 Spektrum 620 receivers, and one servo because the BEC was not limiting the voltage to the receiver. It let all of the 4S battery volts straight through to the receiver. We would have never checked the output with a multimeter if not for the smoking servo. When we checked it with the multimeter, the ESC put out over 16v to the receiver. Fried it, and again, we could only determine what was going on because the last receiver was known to be working and had a servo attached that started smoking.

I sent the ESC back to Flite Test and one of the four receivers back to Flite Test, and they, too, verified that the ESC was the culprit (which we already knew based on the volts coming through), and the Flite Test team said that they had never seen one of these do this before. The Flite Test team is only willing to replace a single receiver. However, I'm still out 140 dollars as I paid my friend 100 dollars to replace his two fried receivers because of the defective ESC purchased from Flite Test. Because that was the right thing for me to do, my friend shouldn't be out 100 bucks due to a bad ESC. I'm not worrying about them replacing a blown servo, as that's a small price compared to the total of 3 receivers we lost that day, as Flite Test is only willing to reimburse us for one of the receivers. I had hoped Flite Test would do the right thing as I did for my friend and take care of this issue. This issue wasn't anything I did wrong, but due to a faulty product. I don't like to call out organizations or companies in public forums publically, and this is my first time doing this, but after the rep stopped replying after my last question about possibly throwing in some kits to make me whole) and no return acknowledgment from the president (I reached out via DM on Facebook and LinkedIn). This post was my last option. View attachment 237597

, I read about your frustrating experience with the ESC and the subsequent issues. It's indeed rare for an ESC to fail in such a manner, and it's unfortunate that Flite Test's response didn't meet your expectations. From my experience, these instances, though uncommon, highlight the importance of thorough component testing before full assembly. It's a good practice to test each component individually, even if it seems time-consuming initially. This not only prevents potential damage to other parts but also saves time in troubleshooting later. While it's regrettable that Flite Test didn't fully compensate for the damage, it might be worth reaching out again with a detailed explanation of the issue and its impact. Persistence in communication can sometimes lead to a more favorable resolution. Also, sharing your story here helps the community be more vigilant about checking new components before use. Keep flying and stay safe!

ldharris84

Hey

, I read about your frustrating experience with the ESC and the subsequent issues. It's indeed rare for an ESC to fail in such a manner, and it's unfortunate that Flite Test's response didn't meet your expectations. From my experience, these instances, though uncommon, highlight the importance of thorough component testing before full assembly. It's a good practice to test each component individually, even if it seems time-consuming initially. This not only prevents potential damage to other parts but also saves time in troubleshooting later. While it's regrettable that Flite Test didn't fully compensate for the damage, it might be worth reaching out again with a detailed explanation of the issue and its impact. Persistence in communication can sometimes lead to a more favorable resolution. Also, sharing your story here helps the community be more vigilant about checking new components before use. Keep flying and stay safe!
thanks, Thomas,

I have written off them as a vendor because of this experience. I haven't been to this forum since the issue, and I forgot that I still get emails from the site until I saw your reply. I was going to order an Aura lite from Flex to go in a small 60" Skywing until I saw that the vendor was Flitetest. I will spend the 60 dollars more for the 8 versus giving them another dollar.

As for testing ESC's, after this experience, I test all of my ESCs. I've always tested the other components, but now I have added ESCs to the mix.

johnbecker31

thanks, Thomas,

I have written off them as a vendor because of this experience. I haven't been to this forum since the issue, and I forgot that I still get emails from the site until I saw your reply. I was going to order an Aura lite from Flex to go in a small 60" Skywing until I saw that the vendor was Flitetest. I will spend the 60 dollars more for the 8 versus giving them another dollar.

As for testing ESC's, after this experience, I test all of my ESCs. I've always tested the other components, but now I have added ESCs to the mix.
Sure is frustrating, and I understand that your outcome was not ideal. I have had my share of mishaps when purchasing from the FT store, but in every instance, they error on the side of the customer, and that keeps me coming back. To be honest, I don't understand why they did not do the same in your situation. Even if they had to eat the cost to make you whole, that is a small amount compared to the impact of negative publicity. Keep looking up!

ldharris84

Sure is frustrating, and I understand that your outcome was not ideal. I have had my share of mishaps when purchasing from the FT store, but in every instance, they error on the side of the customer, and that keeps me coming back. To be honest, I don't understand why they did not do the same in your situation. Even if they had to eat the cost to make you whole, that is a small amount compared to the impact of negative publicity. Keep looking up!
Thanks John,

I think the guys have gone through our combat fun phase for a while. Back to the gassers, edfs, and scale planes.