:: Specs of the original aircraft ::

Span: 37.5 ft
Area: 162 sq. ft
Aspect ratio: 8.7
Empty weight: 230 lb
Payload: 180 lb
Gross weight: 410 lb
Wing loading: 3.1 lb/sq. ft
Structure: Steel tube fuselage, wood dual spar/dual strut wing, wire braced wood tail, all fabric covered.

:: Build Details ::

Build method: Balsa + Tissue paper
Build Time: Around two months (you could do it in three days)
Build Level: Beginner - Intermediate

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
:: Build Process ::
:: Fuselage ::​

The construction of the fuselage is very simple and straightforward.
I taped the plan to a sheet of foam, so than i could pin down my pieces to keep them from moving.

The fuselage is constructed using 3mm balsa sticks:

r_IMG_9324.jpg r_IMG_9319.jpg r_IMG_9320.jpg r_IMG_9326.jpg r_IMG_9318.jpg

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor

I used CA to glue the joints:

r_IMG_9327.jpg

Here you can see the sides of the fuselage:

r_IMG_9329.jpg r_IMG_9330.jpg

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor

Next I cut out the pieces that join the sides of the fuselage. The plan asked for 3mm balsa sheet, but I only had 5mm sheets available. Here you can see the joint parts:

r_IMG_9419.jpg r_IMG_9420.jpg

The "floor" pieces have also been glued in, leaving space for the wheel:

r_IMG_9421.jpg

There were also some pieces to be placed over the cockpit part:

r_IMG_9423.jpg r_IMG_9433.jpg

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
:: Wheel ::​

The wheel part had to be improvised. The closest hobby shop is eight hours bus ride away. I used parts from a printer, parts from a mechanical toy set, and a small bolt. It is excessively heavy. But I can't help it.

r_IMG_9432.jpg r_IMG_9434.jpg r_IMG_9436.jpg

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
:: Wings ::​

I do not have so many pictures of the wing build (sorry). But the process is very simple.
First you cut out the spars and the ribs. Then you mount them in place, gluing as you go. After that you grab a 5mm stick for the leading edge, and a 5x3mm for the trailing edge. You'll also need some sheet balsa that will help retain the shape of the airfoil. It will be easier to get it right if you work on top of the plan.

r_IMG_0023.jpg r_IMG_0024.jpg r_IMG_0026.jpg r_IMG_0073.jpg

I sanded down the spars to reduce weight. They were supposed to be 3mm thick, but, as I said, I didn't have any. I used 5mm, and sanded them down.

r_IMG_0071.jpg

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
:: Covering ::​

Since this was my first time using tissue paper as covering, I made many mistakes from which I also learned a lot. I have re-covered the plane a few times, so the order of the pics may not seem logical.

r_IMG_0029.jpg r_IMG_0030.jpg r_IMG_0070.jpg r_IMG_0075.jpg r_IMG_0080.jpg

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
That looks great! I always tried to build the old Guillows planes (they are balsa kits designed for rubber band free flight) and well, none of them looked anywhere near as nice as yours turned out!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
UPDATE: Finally completed the build

I finally completed the build. Only thing missing was a pair of wing struts, and some CA... Now I have some rips in the tissue instead...

Well here are the pics of the finished plane!

IMG_1001.jpg IMG_1002.jpg

I will maiden it someday, somewhere grassy or sandy! :)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
r_IMG_0309.jpg r_IMG_0310.jpg r_IMG_0319.jpg r_IMG_0325.jpg

The construction of the nose part was actually not according to the plans, however I found this more practical, since you can balance your plane with play-doh stuff; and for the scale looks; see here and here.

Last edited:

roleair

Nice model! I cannot stress how much people under estimate the strength of skin over a web! Nice job! Half of the 2-33A air cadet glider are fabric covered.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Nice model! I cannot stress how much people under estimate the strength of skin over a web! Nice job! Half of the 2-33A air cadet glider are fabric covered.

The covering gets even stronger when you add aircraft dope.
This will also stretch the covering.