Balance weights

Jabberwo

I saw someone post about "bullet connectors" and before I grokked the full question, i though he was talking about what I've been using to move the CG of my Chuck Gliders -- 45 ACP lead bullets! I crush them in the vise so no sheep get nervous if they fall out.

But, these are not exactly the cheapest tings to use -- I just happen to have some handy. What do you normally use for weights? Or, once I start using powered and guided air craft, the motor and moving around the batter is good enough to adjust the CG and this is only a problem with Chuck Gliders?

thanks,
Jab

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
QUOTE="Jabberwo, post: 509610, member: 45156"]I saw someone post about "bullet connectors" and before I grokked the full question, i though he was talking about what I've been using to move the CG of my Chuck Gliders -- 45 ACP lead bullets! I crush them in the vise so no sheep get nervous if they fall out.

But, these are not exactly the cheapest tings to use -- I just happen to have some handy. What do you normally use for weights? Or, once I start using powered and guided air craft, the motor and moving around the batter is good enough to adjust the CG and this is only a problem with Chuck Gliders?

thanks,
Jab[/QUOTE]
Good idea!!
I use pennies for weight, when I can't move my battery around anymore.

Depending on the plane and which size battery you use you may need to add extra weight, so it's not just for chuck gliders.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I saw someone post about "bullet connectors" and before I grokked the full question, i though he was talking about what I've been using to move the CG of my Chuck Gliders -- 45 ACP lead bullets! I crush them in the vise so no sheep get nervous if they fall out.

thanks,
Jab
It might be my Scottish Heritage but I am cheap about balance weights.
I use car wheel balance weights that fall off onto the road in normal use. So far I have about 20Kgs of old balance weights and of course the larger ones can be cut into the required size or even melted and used in "sinker" molds so that I can go fishing when the mood takes me!

Have fun!

CapnBry

Elite member
I usually use US nickel coins since they're the most dense US coin (narrowly edging out the penny) and also because they're very close to 5g each which makes it easy to tally up how much I have. I had a harder time figuring out how to make them stick to the plane though, since hot glue doesn't like to stick to the metal and they can easily break free in a crash unless you really load em up. To remedy that, I usually just tape them to the battery.

Something else I use on models that normally might have a camera but one isn't installed, is small stacks of pennies, wrapped in a little tape, then with some velcro attached so I can move them around. They will roll and move in a crash but if the velcro was wrapped around the flat side, I bet they'd stay put pretty well. When I use them in my Galleon DT, they're all the way against the front of the nose so that isn't an issue. They come in at 25-26g each.
DSC06762.JPG

Ihichi Bolls

In all the years in the hobby and any car building over the years I collect the wipe off solder from anything I do. I have a fair size pile of lead chunks to use. So far I have not had teh need to add weights on my attempts to fly fixed wing but that is just another suggestion people may use. At least the wasted lead from soldering has a purpose and isnt going into landfills n such that way.

Jabberwo

Interesting. A nickel weighs 0.176oz; that's about 28 cents per ounce. Harbor Freight sells 0.25oz wheel weights at 36 for $9 so that's $1 an ounce. Guess I'll use nickels! Thanks for the input folks.

Last edited:

chrisvdv

Automotive wheel balance weights......the self adhesive ones. Go to a tire fitting shop and ask for the ones they take from wheels.(usually for free) Different weights available.