Balancing props for multi-rotors (AKA killing jello)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I know if you search for "balancing props", you'll get a ton of results. What you don't find is how to know the prop is balanced. I don't mean that it sits perfectly still in any position, I mean, what if your balancer itself is introducing an imbalance. I was re-balancing the props on the hex (again) to try to get rid of the always/still annoying jello in my video and I realized the shaft in my magnetic balancer was picking up magnetism and it wants to orient itself with the poles in the magnets! So I demagnetized the shaft and placed it back in position. POOF Instantly magnetized again! So, does anyone have any ideas? My Du-bro doesn't seem to have the precision of the Top Flight as in I can balance perfectly on the Du-bro then take it to the TF and it still shows a heavy tendancy, even if I spin the shaft to try to negate the magnetic problem. But now I know that my props are not balanced as well as I thought they were, as I can hear it in the video. I always wondered about it but thought it couldn't be the props since I always balance both blades and hub.
Help!

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Why not go super simple. Put your props on a dowel or BBQ stick and place it on two tall enough objects that are level. Then balance your props. No more magnetism problems

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Something that I have noticed in a low humidity environment is if you are using 2 tall glasses as the posts to rest the balancer, as the lower prop passes between the glasses it will stop because of the static charge. It's especially bad if you use plastic glasses that aren't tapered allowing the prop to come close.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Why not go super simple. Put your props on a dowel or BBQ stick and place it on two tall enough objects that are level. Then balance your props. No more magnetism problems
I am currently trying this...sort of. I am using the Du-bro shaft but have flipped the wheel housings to the flat bottom side and will give that a go.

Something that I have noticed in a low humidity environment is if you are using 2 tall glasses as the posts to rest the balancer, as the lower prop passes between the glasses it will stop because of the static charge. It's especially bad if you use plastic glasses that aren't tapered allowing the prop to come close.
Shouldn't be a factor as I'm using the Du-bro mount, not plastic cups, but that is good to know also!

In a perfect world, the props would be balanced while attached to the motors.
Yeah, I guess that will be my last resort. I have an app on my phone that is basically a very sensitive seismograph. I have used it to balance the motors without the props but to be honest, it's hit or miss that way. It's hard to tell if you have the right amount of weight and whether it's in the right spot, etc.

I guess I just need to be more patient and keep at it. I just haven't heard of others having this much trouble!