Balsa bashing

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
The last holidays saved from the summer has been used this x-mas and new year to start two nostalgic projects.
Starting the planning finding plans is not the easiest way. The plans are from kits so there are not all parts drawn. It needs a lot of "reverse engineering" and a little fantasy to produce the parts needed. All parts are cut from sheets of balsa, from 1 mm to 20 mm (1/25" to 4/5") thick. Some parts are cut from ply.

The planes are Falcon 56 from Carl Goldberg produced from 1962 and RC Viking a model from 1958 designed for a one-channel radio (only rudder control).

This is the progress from x-mas until now when the projects have to wait until next holiday.
120104-viking.JPG

120104-f56.JPG

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Great build thread!!!
Please keep us posted ! Looks like a large wing for a plane. I bet it will be very stable :D

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Both models are about the same size with 56" or 140 cm wing span and 40" or 100 cm length for .30 to .45 IC engines.
The Viking has a "Clark Y" profile and the Falcon has a more symmetrical profile.

I will get electric for the RC Viking and an old Enya 29 glow for the Falcon 56.
My plans are to cover them with silk as original.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Some parts for the fuselages.
fuse.jpg

Well - it is not to become a "banana" if anyone says so.....
The top fuse is for the Falcon 56 and there will be a 4 oz tank and hard wood "engine beams".
The bottom fuse is for the Viking and will be powered by electric something.

It seems to be time to dig deep in the servo box.
The Viking Will get HXT900 in the wings and TG1160A for rudder and elevator (push-pull).
The Falcon will get TG1160A in the wings, a similar size metal gear as throttle servo and HX5010 for elevator and rudder.

servos.jpg

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Your fuse looks a bit twisted to me :S

I am not sure whether I am right now but when I did pictures if my fuse, it looked crooked too!
I think that is from the camera because it is just 2D and stuff, which didn´t seem logical to me at that time.

I can see what you mean but I doubt my own brain on this one and just believe in pgerts experience!

@Rcjim11 another +1 on that! :D

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
At least 10 more hours - but only small details.
The aileron servos are to be fixed on ply plates and screwed into "wells".
120113-03.JPG 120113-01.JPG 120113-02.JPG
The "canopy" is to be made from ply (0,4 mm ~ 1/50") and fitted with clear plastic windows.
As this is an oldtimer - there is only "aliphatic" wooden glue and every moment needs hours to dry.
120113-04.JPG
Another picture for the "twisted" mind ;-)
120107-01.JPG

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
A few hours every free day, but nothing that is seen.
Today i have joined the wing halves. The Viking center section is going to hold the main gear and must be strong with lots of balsa combined with ply stripes.
120121-01.JPG

120121-02.JPG

Fishbonez

I am always impressed by Balsa builds. You guys have far more patience than I could ever possibly have. Also the tools used and craftmanship just blow me away. If I were to ever get into balsa building I robably would bever fly it because so much time invested. Way to go pgerts. I will now be quiet and enjoy watching you conyinue on a project that looks way to cool for me :cool:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Great tool Patrik! Awesome idea! I have a telescopic fishing rod, but I'll keep it as a telescopic fishing rod. I'll find another way to make holes in balsa.

Doesn't the balsa tend to split when you use that tool?

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Doesn't the balsa tend to split when you use that tool?
This is the best i have tried. The edge is sharp like a knife but also like fine sanding on the sides.
The result varies depending on the material on the counterside when i drill with the tubes. There is normally a need of fine sanding when the balsa is to soft but depron normally gets perfect holes.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Details and details - hours but not much to show.
Windows to the cockpit is cut from a cover to a headset - it is something to put away instead of throwing in the garbage.
120211-14.JPG

Test fitting the gear and tail spur made of piano wire.
120211-12.JPG

The motor and esc was sent from HK almost a week ago but still no trace available - hope to get them the coming week.