Balsa Build Along 2017/18 - SA Pacemaker

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
For the Balsa Build Along this year I'm going to work on this graceful little kit from Stevens Aeromodel - The Pacemaker

Here's what she'll look like completed, if I go with the suggested cover scheme:

Pacemaker_450.jpg

This is an indoor model that uses a UMX power train. With indoor season coming up, I don't have anything new to maiden indoors yet. And since the other major project I'm going to work this winter is an 8 foot wingspan Monster FW-42, working something small for the balsa build along will fit nicely onto the small bench :)

EDIT:

Here's what mine looks like all finished. Pretty happy with how this one turned out! :)

20171212_230511-1305x734.jpg

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Probably not anything significant. I'd be pretty happy with myself if I can pull off the graphics on the stock view of this one :) I'm going to use a $20 HK DSM2 receiver brick instead of the crazy pricey Horizon one. Prolly solder up the UMX2 higher throughput battery connector so I can use my TinyWhoop batteries with it.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Finished up the FW-42 for the WWII contest this weekend, so it's time to make some balsa dust!

First up is laying out the whole kit to make sure everything's here. All balsa looks of very good quality, and the cuts are great - it doesn't look like any of the cuts failed to go all the way through.

Also impressive is the professionalism and scope of the instruction manual. It's incredibly comprehensive and layed out very well. And uses full, clear, English sentences!! :applause: (If you don't understand my enthusiasm on this point, just pickup any cheap balsa airplane kit from banggood.)

20171111_192206-800x450.jpg

First up is sanding the backs of all the sheets - no pictures for this, but as Steven clearly states in his instructions the balsa sheets are almost always a couple thousands thicker than the stated measurements, and this will help everything to fit in place perfectly.

First I spent about 20 minutes with trying to figure out how I'm going to mount the $20 receiver brick - cause of course it's a slightly different dimension than the Spektrum one and has the motor wires come out exactly where Steven's mount is designed to go. More to come on this in the future.

And after I put the motor mount aside, in another 20 minutes I had the fuselage mostly together. All parts fit very well - only needed a little extra sanding on the plywood tabs to get them into the fuselage sides without risking damage.

20171112_230255-800x450.jpg

Also of note is I did make it to Home Depot and grabbed a couple feet of brown paper from the front to protect my metal Ikea shelf work surface. And since this would soak up CA given the chance, I used another of the tips from Steven's excellent instructions and cut open the plastic the kit comes in to use as a protective layer. Works great!

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
A little more on this last night. The motor mount and landing gear parts are a bit tricky. The instructions are very clear but i had challenges getting the tabs on the lite ply to fit in the slots properly. Needed some extra sanding and some xacto shaving to get it all in place. I have no idea how someone came up with this parts arrangement - its light and strong but complex.

Landing gear block first - needed a little extra sanding of the ply width here.
20171113_214203-800x450.jpg

And the motor mount - this was the tricky one.
20171113_214212-800x450.jpg

All ready for the cowling next!
20171113_215517-800x450.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Cowling sprayed with windex and drying to shape. Fitted the rest of the bottom sheeting and upper formers. First pair of stringers installed. Time for sleep before i glue my fingers to the workbench.

20171114_233905-800x450.jpg

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Wow, coming along nicely. I love the Retro RC magnet jigs for the small stuff. Isn't it nice to work on the brown paper? I also put plastic wrap (the Great Planes plan protector) on my paper so glue wont stick.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Yeah, Retro's hold down jigs are great. I've thought about trying to 3d print some, but honestly it's not worth the time compared to just supporting a small business and having them shipped to me.

I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about the brown paper vs. the white surface at first. It doesn't lay completely flat, which bugs me a bit - but it also forces me to use the clamps to hold pieces down when I might have otherwise just added glue and ended up with a miss-aligned piece (yep - done that a couple times).

One thing I do need to this weekend is head to the local hobby shop and pickup that razor plane Joker was showing in his 3D printed balsa tools thread. I also tried a 3D print of that same razor plane last winter, and had similar crap experience of it not holding a blade in place for long.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Im just using magnets around the perimeter of the paper to hold it nice and tight, works great.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
My paper didn't quite get folded, but it developed some light creases and bends that make it want to stick up in the middle. Too much other crap in the back of the car when I brought it home :(

Oh well - more magnets to the rescue! :)

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
My paper didn't quite get folded, but it developed some light creases and bends that make it want to stick up in the middle. Too much other crap in the back of the car when I brought it home :(

Oh well - more magnets to the rescue! :)

Oh ya, that is key to not crease the paper. You have to carefully remove the free paper from the roll and then roll it carefully. Sometimes free stuff takes some work...

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Installed the rest of the stringers.
20171116_200212-1024x576.jpg

And put the horizontal stabilizer frame together. You can never have too many clamps.
20171116_195011-1024x576.jpg

Time for the elevator. Smaller piece, almost the same number of clamps. :)
20171116_204429-1024x576.jpg

And working out the rough shaping with a 3d printed razor plane that Wilsonman found on Thingiverse. Works pretty good!
20171116_204035-1024x576-1024x576.jpg

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
The best part about the razor plane is how fast it can remove balsa to shape the part. The next best thing is how much dust you don’t release into the air.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Both very good points for the razor plane. Of course I still managed to make plenty of dust getting the fuselage and tail surfaces smoothed out. :)

20171116_234729-1024x576.jpg

Next up - wings!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Now it's looking like a plane!

20171118_222332-1024x576.jpg

Next up - time to pull down the Solite and cover this little baby...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
PSSSST.... Did ye forget something or do all of the electronics mount from the under side?

I agree with Joker on the wing shape. With that much angle on them this should be nearly self leveling I would have to guess. That or at the very least hard to roll over when learning coordinated turns with just rudder and elevator. Looks good so far. Any definite plans on the finished paint scheme or will it be stock per box design?