Balsa Build Along for 2019-2020

Prop_Flexer

Add me to the list as well. It has been way too long since I built a balsa plane. It will be hard to wait for the new releases to make a decision on which one to start building though. 😉

Rob

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Add me to the list. I’ll pick up a P-51 or Eaglet and get in on the action.

Welcome aboard!

Add me to the list as well. It has been way too long since I built a balsa plane. It will be hard to wait for the new releases to make a decision on which one to start building though. 😉

Rob

Awesome!

I've got a feeling that Doug is going to be very very busy filling orders on new release day! :D :D

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I think these would be just fine as a first balsa kit - especially a GLH as that's the model the build videos are based on.

I think the GLH would be a terrible choice for a beginner pilot - but you should be just fine on that side! :D

A heat gun would be problematic for applying the covering. If you don't have a modeling iron in your future, a clothes iron (especially those small travel sized ones) would work fine too - just use a thermometer or test scraps of covering to keep an eye on the temperature.

If the heat gun is all you've got, I'd try using a heat activated / sensitive glue like https://sigmfg.com/collections/covering-paints-and-dopes/products/sig-stix-it-covering-adhesive to cover the bare balsa first, and then gently hit it with the heat gun to activate the adhesives and then pull the covering down. The combination of the adhesive already on the covering and the Stix-it already on the balsa will give you a much quicker and more secure connection at a lower temperature / pressure combo (that will be very hard to apply with the heat gun).

I'd recommend ordering an extra pack of covering for experimenting - remember you can always try putting it on the wing and then decide to heat it up with the gun and pull it off again!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Or for a newbie pilot? I.e., relatively slow-flying three-channel?

I think the Barnstormer in high wing configuration with the full dihedral brace will be the most gentle flying of the bunch. I haven't had a chance to get a maiden flight on the one I just built, but the wing loading calculations say it's in the Sport Plane range which would be OK for a third or fourth plane.

If you're still on plane number one or two, I'd recommend waiting a couple weeks and looking at some of the new releases - he is planning to come out with a trainer soon, which I hope means in the set of 4 or 5 planes he's going to release in November.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I think these would be just fine as a first balsa kit - especially a GLH as that's the model the build videos are based on.

I think the GLH would be a terrible choice for a beginner pilot - but you should be just fine on that side! :D

A heat gun would be problematic for applying the covering. If you don't have a modeling iron in your future, a clothes iron (especially those small travel sized ones) would work fine too - just use a thermometer or test scraps of covering to keep an eye on the temperature.

If the heat gun is all you've got, I'd try using a heat activated / sensitive glue like https://sigmfg.com/collections/covering-paints-and-dopes/products/sig-stix-it-covering-adhesive to cover the bare balsa first, and then gently hit it with the heat gun to activate the adhesives and then pull the covering down. The combination of the adhesive already on the covering and the Stix-it already on the balsa will give you a much quicker and more secure connection at a lower temperature / pressure combo (that will be very hard to apply with the heat gun).

I'd recommend ordering an extra pack of covering for experimenting - remember you can always try putting it on the wing and then decide to heat it up with the gun and pull it off again!
I have a clothes iron, didn't know that would work. Do you know of any threads that go over the basics of building with balsa as well as the basics on covering?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I have a clothes iron, didn't know that would work. Do you know of any threads that go over the basics of building with balsa as well as the basics on covering?

Why yes! :D

@Joker 53150 started a great thread over here on that very subject! :D

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...uild-your-first-balsa-plane-start-here.32389/

Also, as soon as you open your own build thread we'll all be watching and helping answer any questions you come up with.

Joker has links to great covering resources in that thread, and Model Aviation Magazine has done a couple good covering articles this year too - both basic and advanced.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I can't believe how bad I'm wanting to do the next build. For the last three weeks and for at least the next two weeks the winds here are well above what I would attempt to fly even a .25 sized plane in so the Super Sport still sits here waiting for the maiden.

I did some deeper digging into my stashes and found a bag with 10 of the same 3.7 gram servos as on the Willy Nillies website. I don't remember when, where or how much I paid for them. Likely paid more than they sell for on the WW website. :eek: I'm not gonna mess around for motors. I'll get one for each kit I order from WW. I'm lousy with ESC's so I'm good there. All I need now is at least one of that Eaglet 250 kit and I'm good to go for the build off......;) Oooh the Pacer would be so cool too....

Joe

Prop_Flexer

I had a quick question about ordering the completion package and called the number on the website page. To my surprise Doug answered and I had a great discussion with him! Extremely helpful and gracious with the discount offer for this build. I placed my order and now I need to clean up the work shop to get ready for that soon to be here delivery!!!

Thanks again Doug!

Rob

Turbojoe

Elite member
I had a quick question about ordering the completion package and called the number on the website page. To my surprise Doug answered and I had a great discussion with him! Extremely helpful and gracious with the discount offer for this build. I placed my order and now I need to clean up the work shop to get ready for that soon to be here delivery!!!

Thanks again Doug!

Rob

Which kit did you get? That completion package sounds like a great deal for the price.

Joe

Prop_Flexer

Which kit did you get? That completion package sounds like a great deal for the price.

Joe
Hi Joe, I ordered the GLH 250 with the completion package A. I have been building foam board for quite a few years and figured it worth while to support Doug and get the package with everything ( plus I needed the glue) 😁

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Love the growing numbers and building excitement for this build along! :D :D

As I mentioned earlier, in traditional FT Forum Build Along tradition, this isn't a timed competition or scored and judged in any way. This is a whole season of encouraging and helping each other make something new, something fun, and something creative!

So while we "penciled in" a start date of November 9th for anyone who would like to join in some "start day fun" - this build along is intended to go on until the end of January so if you want to hold on for a P-51 or other November release kit you can absolutely join in with that too!

In other news, my order just arrived from Willy Nillie's - 6 days from payment to product! Very happy with the service time to the east coast! :D So I've got a Barnstormer with extra wing to bash together a biplane and a GLH for my club build too. Going to get a few other projects through the workshop and do a little cleaning (and planning) to get ready for the Build Along start date! :D