Balsa Build Along for 2019-2020

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Joker's asked me to help herd the cats on the FT Forum Balsa Build Along for this fall (spending too much time on the road for work I think) and tossed out a neat idea.

How about we show some love for our newest kit-cutter in the industry and do a Willy-Nillie's build theme? They have lots of kit options, all sized for 1806 or .049 motors which keeps costs down, and range from high speed racers to sporty aerobats. And he's got a warbird and a cub coming out soon - working hard on 4 or 5 new releases for November!

:

So what'cha all think? Want to make some balsa dust? :D

To join in just post your intentions and kit choice in this thread, and start a build thread here in the Balsa Builders and Breakers forum so we can all follow along!

List of Entrants and Build Thread Links So Far (you can be next!)

And hey everyone - look at this incredibly generous offer from our sponsor! :D:D:D

Anyone that promises to build one of our kits for this build along will receive $5 off any single kit you order to participate with. Send us an email at support@willynillies.com with your name, what kit you intend to use and that it is for the FT balsa forum build off. We will send you a coupon code for the $5 off.

Once your build along is completed through a video of the maiden send us an email with a link to your completed build along and we will give you a $25 online store credit.

Any questions? 🙂

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

Timeframe for the Build Along is roughly starting on November 9th and going through the end of January (maybe February?). You don't need to start on day one to participate, and no need to keep things to just one build either (although the generous sponsor offer might apply just to the first build you undertake - let's help a small business grow and not take advantage of 'em, eh?)

Happy building! :D

Last edited:

OliverW

Legendary member
Joe's asked me to help herd the cats on the FT forum balsa build along for this fall (spending too much time on the road for work I think) and tossed out a neat idea.

How about we toss some love towards our newest kit-cutter in the industry and do a Willy-Nillie's theme? They are all sized for 1806 or .049 motors which keeps costs down, and range from high speed racers to sporty aerobats - and he's got a warbird coming out soon too!

:

So what'cha all think? Want to make some balsa dust? :D
I think yes! I am gonna pickup a super sport soon.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Easy building high quality kits at a great price. Perfect for a build along! My Super Sport is already done and I want to do another of his kits. When do you want to start?

Joe

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Let's keep the pressure low in the great build-along tradition - shall we say two weeks from now through end of January?

That should give time for people to order one in for "start day" if they want, yet leave time to build several or jump in with a holiday present kit if they are lucky enough to get one. And leave a nice open window of time to get in with one of his new release kits we expect to be out soon!

Thoughts?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I’m in. It’ll be a nice distraction from my other 800 projects. :)

Unlike those other 800 giant scale projects, this one can be completed in just a couple hours! :p

I don't normally do warbirds but maybe it's time I did one. Hopefully the kit will be released soon.

I agree! I hope the P-51 kit will be released soon, and it's time for you to do a warbird! :p

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I just dropped an order for another Barnstormer and a spare constant chord wing kit. Going to bash myself together an Ugly Stick looking biplane for the build along! :D

Got a GLH kit for my club's holiday party and yankee gift swap too. I think several people will be fighting over this one :D

I'm also going to be doing a Willy Nillie's build along for my club in January, but will hold off ordering a kit for that to check out the new releases coming up.

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
These may be too big for one of these kits, but I have the motor & ESC from a Fun Fighter which need a home. Or is that just silly talk?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That could certainly be a problem, but the Fun Fighters are pretty small planes and their torque roll is manageable.

I never had one of those (or saw one in person), but I have heard they are super fast.

If the P-51 comes out in time then I'm in.

I'll take that as being in then! From Doug's note in the other thread, it sounds like the P-51 is almost here! :D

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Just got a shipping notice today on my Willy Nillies order :D

For the Barnstormer I got both wings semi-symmetrical - thanks to Doug for asking me which I'd like (semi or full).

Also saw a post on Facebook with the Super Simple Series P-51 all framed up - hope we'll be able to order kits soon!

Turbojoe

Elite member
Also saw a post on Facebook with the Super Simple Series P-51 all framed up - hope we'll be able to order kits soon!

Like a lot of people I don't do Facebook. Can you post a picture of the frame up here? I'd love to have at least some idea of what I'm waiting for.

Joe

Willy Nillies

Elite member
Anyone that promises to build one of our kits for this build along will receive $5 off any single kit you order to participate with. Send us an email at support@willynillies.com with your name, what kit you intend to use and that it is for the FT balsa forum build off. We will send you a coupon code for the $5 off.

Once your build along is completed through a video of the maiden send us an email with a link to your completed build along and we will give you a $25 online store credit.

Any questions? 🙂

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

Turbojoe

Elite member

Any questions? 🙂

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

Doug,

You freaking ROCK! As I said earlier I'm not a big warbird fan but after building the Super Sport I'm sure the Mustang will be every bit as good. Be sure to post here (or email) as soon as the kit is available. That is unless you have yet another kit ready at the same time. It's hard to believe kits this small can be as well designed, strong and light as they are. Good stuff......

Joe