Balsa Build Along for 2019-2020

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sooooo.... I am going out to breakfast this Sunday meeting friends on our monthly catch up with life thing. I think I will hand my friend some cash so he can order a kit for me since I got hacked and had to cancel my prepaid and join the madness. I always loved working with wood and got all the basic skills from my grandfather like how to use the right tools for the job to remembering to duck your head below the air vent in the basement so you wont have to walk back upstairs for a band aid.

I STILL cant fly fixed wing yet so what I think I will do is document the entire build less electronics. Depending how it turns out and the judgement of the skilled builders here whether or not it would be air worthy I will donate it to someone here that may not be able to afford or could build one to pass on the love I got early in my days here on the forums with help from other members. That or maybe just send it over to FTHQ and they can pass it on to someone at Edgewater Air Park

That being said... Suggestions on what kit to build would be helpful more so for the person who may get it not so much for me as I am confident in my build skill set to do a respectable job.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Count me in too with the new Cub (https://willynillies.com/shop?olsPage=products/littlest-stick-wing-kit-only-ltt-stc-wng-kit1) . It's been shipped. Hopping it actually get's here by the 16th like the estimate says.

Great! Welcome to the build along! :D

Sooooo.... I am going out to breakfast this Sunday meeting friends on our monthly catch up with life thing. I think I will hand my friend some cash so he can order a kit for me since I got hacked and had to cancel my prepaid and join the madness. I always loved working with wood and got all the basic skills from my grandfather like how to use the right tools for the job to remembering to duck your head below the air vent in the basement so you wont have to walk back upstairs for a band aid.

I STILL cant fly fixed wing yet so what I think I will do is document the entire build less electronics. Depending how it turns out and the judgement of the skilled builders here whether or not it would be air worthy I will donate it to someone here that may not be able to afford or could build one to pass on the love I got early in my days here on the forums with help from other members. That or maybe just send it over to FTHQ and they can pass it on to someone at Edgewater Air Park

That being said... Suggestions on what kit to build would be helpful more so for the person who may get it not so much for me as I am confident in my build skill set to do a respectable job.

If you're looking to do the bare build without electronics, I think all of them follow very similar build patterns - but looking for a design where the electronics aren't buried inside the build would be a good idea. For example, on a lot of these designs the aileron servos are hidden under the covering on the wings, so they need to be installed earlier. And some of the firewall setups are designed so the motor mount screws on from the inside of the plane - which is only accessible before it's glued in place and covered. The firewall setup is less of a problem as t-nuts can be installed to access the motor from the front, but if one of the designs uses aileron servos in the fuselage rather than out on the wings - or is a good 3 channel flyer not needing ailerons (like the Cub or Eagle) that could be good.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yeah I just watched the build videos they have out. If the pricing stays as is by the time Sunday rolls around I will get a kit and the completion package. These are much less complicated then the plastic revel models i did as a kid. I started watching how to cover videos and came across this girl. she puts all you brothers to shame with her covering skills hehe.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

If you can’t find a home for it I would be happy to take it! ;)

Piotrsko

Master member
Great minds think alike I am sure hehe

I am amazed to see she used what looks like a hobby grade covering iron to tighten it all up.
Why not? Back in the day all hobby stuff and full size aircraft stuff was the same. I used all my monocote tools when I redid my Pacer fabric. Irish linen otoh.........

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Surface area needing to be shrunk evenly.. Thought maybe that big an area would draw to much heat off that tiny iron and not shrink evenly. Sorta like using a radio shack soldering iron that would go cold the instant you touched the iron to something. The new fast recover irons are much better and maybe that type thing would be needed for such large areas.

Piotrsko

Master member
Well, full size, it is much easier to avoid wrinkles and things are really prone to warping if you aren't super careful. My mini iron probably had all those issues, but it worked well enough for the shrinking that it had to do, it wasn't tent cloth, more like a bed sheet.

Willy Nillies

Elite member
Jr. Falcon 250 and Jr. Skylark 250 kits are being cut! 😁

Attachments

• IMG_20191214_174821084.jpg
    IMG_20191214_174821084.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20191214_174845891.jpg
    IMG_20191214_174845891.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'm only a couple hours into my Willy Nillies build of the J3 Cub, and I'm very impressed with the quality of the laser cutting. I thought Mountain Models was good, but this is probably the best I've seen! I don't fly planes this size much, but am tempted to just build a couple more to hang in my office for display!