Balsa EDF jet build!

ThomasMartino

Elite member
The second flight was much better. The plane has plenty of power on 5s with the 100 amp ESC. I’m exceeding the maximum power output of the EDF by about 400 watts at full throttle, but the flight times are short and full throttle is rarely used so the motor isn’t overheating. The plane responds nicely in pitch and yaw and is very sensitive in roll. I need some more time to get comfortable with it but overall I am really pleased with how it flies. I love the aggressive AoA as I flare for landing.

Phin G

Elite member
I’m five days into this project and I’m very happy with it, so I decided to make a build thread to share the process and get opinions from the community. This is my first EDF so advice is appreciated. The frame is balsa. It will be sheeted in balsa and 3mm foam then fiberglassed. I’m vacuum bagging as many of the composite parts as possible to keep the weight down and strength up. It will have elevons, full moving canards, and rudder. I decided I’ll make a fixed landing gear instead of retracts, so the top speed may suffer, but since I’m new to EDFs I’m more concerned with keeping the wing loading down so slow speed performance isn’t terrible.

Wingspan: 39 inches
Length: 39 inches
Powerplant: 64mm EDF, 800 Watts
Battery: two 4S 1,300mAh in parallel
Estimated AUW: 40 ounces
View attachment 173402 View attachment 173403 View attachment 173404 View attachment 173405 View attachment 173406
Well done give yourself a pat on the back. Well done