Balsa flys better

rfd

AMA 51668
been building flying fixed wing aircraft models since 1950 and yes, balsa *IS* best ... so far. that is, until a better replacement is found or cooked up in some lab. but i would never ever dis foamies - they're cheap, quick, easy, FUN - and if built reasonably right will fly just fine ... but they ain't balsa stick 'n' tissue/film - ain't NOTHING as good fixed wing balsa models, for far too many reasons. as always, YMMV ... but nah, balsa is best. :cool:

epiper93

been building flying fixed wing aircraft models since 1950 and yes, balsa *IS* best ... so far. that is, until a better replacement is found or cooked up in some lab. but i would never ever dis foamies - they're cheap, quick, easy, FUN - and if built reasonably right will fly just fine ... but they ain't balsa stick 'n' tissue/film - ain't NOTHING as good fixed wing balsa models, for far too many reasons. as always, YMMV ... but nah, balsa is best. :cool:
:applause: Preach!!!

epsilon

As echoed a few times here I suspect you're right, balsa is better in many aspects. That said, you came across extremely negative and 100% against foam and almost made it sound like anyone who flies them is just sub par. As mentioned, foam is great in its own right. Personally it's been the best, quickest, most affordable way for me to get into the hobby that I've dreamed of since I was a kid! The ability to build an airframe for $3, crash it usually a few times before needing major repairs, and getting right back in the air again is game changing! Show me a balsa you can do that with! ?

Now personally, I'd LOOOOVE to get into balsa at some point but imo that's the same as a newbie flying a jet. It's a bad idea and ends badly. You need to learn to crawl before walking and walk before run.

I have an old (balsa) gasser hanging in the garage that was given to me. Def intend to fix her up and fly her someday but I know full well both my build and flight skills aren't there yet.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I started with balsa in 1985.

Balsa is fun to build with and I learned more about airframes building balsa than with foam. I love the covering options and the overall look of a plane with ribs covered in Monokote.

But when you have 10, 12 year old kids and 3 hours in a school gymnasium, go foam. :)