Balsa Forum Fall Build Along

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The tri-motor look is great! Perhaps just leaving the center prop on a shaft without a motor behind it would help with the balance... it'll drag a little but look awesome! Of course that's also a perfect place to put a board camera too...

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Also USPS sent an email that a package from WI was just delivered. Can't wait to get home and see what it looks like :)

If you've ever seen how some companies ship their kits you'll be impressed with how Brian at MM does it, it's very organized and neat and packaged to survive the post office. I've never had anything broken or damaged from them. Some kits I've gotten elsewhere were just put in a box loose and shipped that way so all the balsa bounced around getting beat up. Heck, even the Balsa USA 1/3 scale Fly Baby Bi-plane I'm selling was packaged like that, everything just stuck in the box loose. The crazy thing is that it has sat in the box for probably 20+ years, was moved a few times, and nothing got lost or broken. My OCD kicked in when I decided to sell the kit, so EVERYTHING came out of the box so it could be sorted and bundled before being re-packaged with some packing material to fill the box nice and full. In the real world I manage two warehouses and we ship/receive a lot of packages, so I notice that kind of thing.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Good to hear! I got a box from Balsa USA last week and they did a good job of filling all the void space with brown paper, so they obviously learned a thing or two since the good old days. :)

On the topic of power systems, I'm interested in what others are having success with. I see from the website we should be looking at 100+ watts, which makes me think of a PowerUp 400 - http://www.headsuphobby.com/Power-Up-400-Speed-1400kv-Outrunner-Brushless-Motor_p_2296.html or a PowerUp 370 http://www.headsuphobby.com/Power-Up-370-Speed-1400kv-Outrunner-Brushless-Motor_p_1276.html

The 400 running a 8040 or 7050 prop comes it at 140ish watts, and while the 370 doesn't have test data posted yet I'm guessing it's not too much less since the description also calls it a 140 watt motor.

Am I in the right neighborhood here, or is this going to create a rocket ship with a lead weight in the nose?

Thanks!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'll have to go through my stash of electronics and see what I can use. There are a bunch of 9 gram servos in my inventory along with a few motors and speed controls so maybe I can do this build without having to buy any electronics.

ranger351

Warbird Crazy!
So placed my order today. But after checking out the whole MM website. I couldn't resist buying the MM P-51. Ever since I visited Fagen Fighters WW2 Museum I've become a huge warbird nut! I will be modeling the P-51 after the original Twilight Tear(flowen by Lt Hubert "Bill" Davis)that Fagen Fighters has. Hope nobody minds I will still build along and will post build progress as much as possible! P.S. My brother in-law works for Fagen Inc. and is the one that got me into flying. We visit the museum often to fly his ercoupe that's also on display there! I consider myself very fortunate to have him as a brother inlaw! P.P.S. I've been trying to get him into RC planes but haven't had any luck yet!

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
It looks like a good kit, and I hope you do a build thread for it. One other guy on this forum built that a few years ago and it turned out nice (although I can't remember if he ever flew it). I've updated your plane choice on the roll call (Post #3).

Turbojoe

Elite member
I'm not a warbird fan and that's the only reason I never bought Brian's Mustang kit. A buddy I flew with years back built one as his third build. He loved the build and the way it flew. It looks amazing if you are good at covering.

Well you guys have me all excited again. I guess I'll do another full build along with the rest of you. I like the USAF ThunderBirds covering scheme and need an EVA to match some of my other builds. I'll order another sport wing kit when I get home in about two hours. I can't guarantee my build will end up absolutely stock though........

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Honestly I'd be disappointed if it WAS a stock build from you! You've got the EVA background to help us all make better planes, with knowledge about things like upgrading the landing gear mount.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I just placed my wing order with Brian. Asked him (in the order comments section) to pop in and say HI. Do we have a projected start date for the build? I'm hoping I can get time to work on the twin and get that finished up first. I have the fuse kit out and will put all the electronics together in a box so I'm ready to rock and roll when we start.

If I can offer a little insight for a power system do NOT set the Sport wings up for high speed! The ailerons will flutter when you approach ridiculous speed. Way before you get to ludicrous speed. The wing was never designed to go as fast as the airframe will let it. I have the Scorpion 2215-18 with 10x5 APC E prop (perfect Lucky Ace package) on the trike and the only time I'm near full throttle is in vertical climbs. I absolutely MUST drop the throttle on down lines or she over speeds and flutters. I'm surprised I haven't lost an aileron yet. There really is such a thing as too much power. Don't overdo it. 100-125 watts with a low KV motor and big prop will provide the most fun. Nothing like a high thrust setup to pull you vertical until out of sight.

Rockyboy, I like the idea of a camera in that gaping prop hole that will be in the cowl on the twin. I have a Mobius camera. I may have to look at making the cowl magnet mounted so I can get to the camera easier after a flight.

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Thanks for the Space Balls reference, you're only missing the fastest speed of them all, plaid.

For those who listen to the Flite Test Community Podcast, Patrick (Earthsciteach) was nice enough to give the build-along a shout-out in the opening minutes, and provided good ACCURATE info on what we're doing and why we picked the MM EVA, so thanks to him for bowing to my overwhelming pressure for free publicity. :)

It'd be nice for Brian to stop by and maybe share some insight on the design, how it was developed, what goes through designing a new plane, or anything else he'd like to share.

N4RF

MM Lucky ACE Package.jpg
Step one complete. Haven't opened yet but itching to do so.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Yup, everything as I'd expect, nicely bundled and ready to go. If I remember correctly the ACE can be built completely without using the plan page. The parts interlock together amazingly like a 3D puzzle.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Hmmm, it looks like the EVA is selling really well right now and only the Bipe is still in stock. It makes me wonder if there more people than we know of getting in on the event. Any lurkers out there want to go public?

Turbojoe

Elite member
Hmmm, it looks like the EVA is selling really well right now and only the Bipe is still in stock. It makes me wonder if there more people than we know of getting in on the event. Any lurkers out there want to go public?

Based on the 665 views already it looks like a lot of people are at least interested. I hope this blows up. There will be a lot of really happy EVA pilots!

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Need servos?

I'm a Hitec servo fan and have a drawer full of them but since I tried the E-Max servos from Heads up RC I'm becoming a convert. My favorite Hitec is the HS-65mg at close to $30.00 each. I'm now liking these: http://www.headsuphobby.com/Emax-12g-ES08MAII-Metal-Gear-Sub-Micro-Servo_p_192.html at HURC for $4.95 and I've been buying them instead. I mean c'mon, a ball bearing metal gear servo for less than five bucks! I have a bunch in different airplanes with no failures and just ordered 4 more for the EVA build along with a few other things I needed. Just putting an option out there for those that are looking for a decent servo for a decent price. They're a 9 gram size servo that's 3 grams heavier because of the metal gears.

Joe

OttoPilot

Well, I went and did a survey of the box of misfit parts and found I have four of these: HobbyKing NTM Prop Drive 28-26s, 1100kv kicking around from my first quad project a while back. Looks like with a 9x6 prop they should be right on point with 3s pack.

Also have one of these: HobbyKing NTM Prop Drive 28-26 1200kv from an earlier pop-wing build which would probably work just fine on a 8x6.

We'll see; looks like I'll have a little time before my kit arrives to figure everything out.

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Well, I went and did a survey of the box of misfit parts and found I have four of these: HobbyKing NTM Prop Drive 28-26s, 1100kv kicking around from my first quad project a while back. Looks like with a 9x6 prop they should be right on point with 3s pack.

Also have one of these: HobbyKing NTM Prop Drive 28-26 1200kv from an earlier pop-wing build which would probably work just fine on a 8x6.

We'll see; looks like I'll have a little time before my kit arrives to figure everything out.

I've got that exact same motor available from a quad build. I haven't looked at the stats yet to see if it'll have the power I want, but it'd be nice to not have to buy another motor or ESC for this plane. I've used that motor a few times in the past and like the quality.