Balsa Kit Manufacturers

mm51

Hi, I'm looking for a High wing "sporty" / pattern type of plane, in the 49 to 54 inch wingspan range. Something like the Sig T-Clips, or a Citabria, or Hangar 9 Taylorcraft 20cc, but smaller. (I don't care for the look of the "stick" style planes, and the Eflite Taylorcraft was nice, but was too small/ light and got bounced around in the wind too much. And for some reason I don't care for the look of the Eflite PA-20 Pacer, it just looks a bit too sleepy/golden era.) Anyone know of any High wing ARF's or balsa kits in the 49 to 54 inch size? I've only been able to find 60 inch and larger. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Hi, I'm looking for a High wing "sporty" / pattern type of plane, in the 49 to 54 inch wingspan range. Something like the Sig T-Clips, or a Citabria, or Hangar 9 Taylorcraft 20cc, but smaller. (I don't care for the look of the "stick" style planes, and the Eflite Taylorcraft was nice, but was too small/ light and got bounced around in the wind too much. And for some reason I don't care for the look of the Eflite PA-20 Pacer, it just looks a bit too sleepy/golden era.) Anyone know of any High wing ARF's or balsa kits in the 49 to 54 inch size? I've only been able to find 60 inch and larger. Thanks a lot!

Check out the Robinhood 25 from Old School Model works - http://oldschoolmodels.com/rh25.htm - at 51" it's right in the size range and high wing, but maybe not so much of a pattern type of look...

There are some really neat options over at Manzano...

Maybe a touch smaller than you're looking for, but it's certainly got the pattern cred!
https://manzanolaser.com/Jetfire-20--Sport-pattern-model-for-Electric-or-Glow-Power_p_3398.html

52" size and should be a great performer!
https://manzanolaser.com/Quik-V7--AMA-NATS-Winning-Pylon-Racer-by-Jim-Allen_p_3428.html

A classic sporty Ken Willard design with 48" wingspan
http://store.laser-design-services.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=344

A 70's sporty high-wing that's just a touch larger at 56" wingspan
http://store.laser-design-services.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=113

Any of those catch your eye? Things about them you like or don't like? I think there might be more options if we look at some short kits from Sarik the UK, but if you're US based that shipping charge really hurts.

mm51

Wow, thanks for the great reply! Those are some good sites, there are so many sites/stores that don't come up on Google when I look for "RC Balsa airplanes". Unfortunately most of the specific planes that you mentioned didn't tickle my fancy. The Headmaster 48 - from Laser Design Services is the closest to what I am looking for, but I guess I was really hoping to find an ARF to buy, as I have never built a plane from a wood kit or done any covering. However I might just buy one and see if I can find someone local to build it for me. Anyway, I did browse through the Sarik short kits and did find one of those that I really like and have been looking for!!! The Citabria Pro... https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/citabria-pro-48/ But, once again, I would have to find somebody to build it for me. Anyway, thanks again for your help and if you happen to come across anything like the attached pics... a Citabria 40 ARF (from https://carolinacustomkits.com/ ) or a Taylorcraft ARF, in the 49-54 inch range, be sure to let me know. Have a great day and Happy Flying!

Attachments

• Citabria 40.jpg
    Citabria 40.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Taylorcraft.png
    Taylorcraft.png
    123.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SIG T-Clips.jpg
    SIG T-Clips.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 0

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor

mm51

Thank you very much for the suggestion! The Big Horn looks very interesting. It looks a lot like the TimberX which I had a lot of fun flying but decided it was more 3D style and looking than I wanted and it had far too much drag for pattern style flying. This Big Horn though, being balsa, seems to cut through the air a lot better in the demo video. So I might be willing to give it a try. The covering scheme is not my favorite but if I like the way it flies I guess I could always recover it, right?

Speaking of which, does anyone know of a company or person who advertises "balsa kit building services"? I'm not sure I can find someone locally to build a kit for me.

And finally, excuse the newb question but I'm just wondering, is it possible to buy plans for a 60+ inch plane and then take them to a printing shop (or somewhere) and have them reduced to the size that would be a 49 inch wing span and then build that from scratch from balsa? Other than needing a properly sized cowl... which might be able to be found as a replacement part still being sold for other old kits, or possibly use a 3D printer to print a new cowl? Is this the type of scenario that people do, or is it not possible? Thanks so much. And keep the great suggestions coming. ;-)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thank you very much for the suggestion! The Big Horn looks very interesting. It looks a lot like the TimberX which I had a lot of fun flying but decided it was more 3D style and looking than I wanted and it had far too much drag for pattern style flying. This Big Horn though, being balsa, seems to cut through the air a lot better in the demo video. So I might be willing to give it a try. The covering scheme is not my favorite but if I like the way it flies I guess I could always recover it, right?
Sure! And before you do a recovering, you could give it a rub down with steel wool, wash with alcohol, and spray paint it to a new color scheme. Even if the paint job doesn't turn out as nice as you'd like, it's not a lot of effort or expense to try, and in the worst case you just take the covering off anyway! :LOL:

Speaking of which, does anyone know of a company or person who advertises "balsa kit building services"? I'm not sure I can find someone locally to build a kit for me.
I'd suggest finding a local RC club and ask there - I know there are a couple retired guys in my club here in Northern Virginia that will build for others.

And finally, excuse the newb question but I'm just wondering, is it possible to buy plans for a 60+ inch plane and then take them to a printing shop (or somewhere) and have them reduced to the size that would be a 49 inch wing span and then build that from scratch from balsa? Other than needing a properly sized cowl... which might be able to be found as a replacement part still being sold for other old kits, or possibly use a 3D printer to print a new cowl? Is this the type of scenario that people do, or is it not possible? Thanks so much. And keep the great suggestions coming. ;-)

Yes, yes, and absolutely yes! :p

If you have a Staples near you with a printing shop, ask / research their "engineering prints" on bond paper - they are pretty cheap compared to poster printing (which they think has to be photo glossy and $$$ for some reason) and work great for both full color skins for foam board planes, and black/white plans for balsa building.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor

kaplik

Hi guys,

What is current orders status for Mountain Models? Accept Brian orders?

Thanks for the info.

Martin

vhandon

I think another wellness check is due for Brian at Mountain Models. On a whim I went to check out his sight to see if there was anything new and this is what I got.
1630137370556.png

I started to search for information and found this thread over on RC Groups.
Mountain Models? - Page 4 - RC Groups
It looks like orders have not been fulfilled in about a year.

This concerns me, not for the company, but for Brian. Does anyone have a way to reach out to him? I would love to offer him any help he might need. I am still interested in buying the company from him. It may not be what he really needs but if it would help I want him to know the offer still stands.

I already emailed him and will try to call during the day this weekend but if anyone has a way to contact him for me, please let me now. I would even compensate someone in Wisconsin or the surrounding area to go knock on his door and say hello!

barbos

Hey there,

I was browsing around the forum when stumbled upon this tread)

I see that jhaerospace and microbirds in the first post here, which means that glider kits are also considered here ;)

I'd like to share 2 more if you don't mind:

The Shaka - a portable 1-meter slope wing. A very simple and straightforward build and a great performing glider. Can fly in strong winds at ~220g and also has a powered option.

The Maverick - 1.5-meter electric glider with a full-house wing that can be built to compete in the F5K competitions. This is the most recent addition to the lineup.

Hope someone will find this helpful

- Gene

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Three years later update on my purchase of the Park Scale Models Republic XF-12... Life and other projects left the unopened kit box up on the shelf until last week. To my surprise, I found a lot of issues. All Vacuform parts were missing completely. Part number markings don’t match the listing in the assembly guide on their website and the wing mounting/ gear mounts are completely different, etc.

Now normally, I could just look at the plans and figure it out, but Park Scale doesn’t use traditional plans in their builds. Everything is done by part number out of the assembly guide. I did shoot them an email message, but haven’t heard back yet. Their website indicates that they are no longer in business. It looks like there is a good chance that I'll be doing a lot of scratch building and reverse engineering to figure this thing out..

Murocflyer

Hello,

Wondering if there is any new news on MM/LA or Brian? Has anyone been successful in acquiring his plans/rights to his models?

If not, has anyone come close to the Switchback in design as the best parkflyer ever designed? OK, I may be partial, but what a joy that plane was to fly.

Thanks,

Frank

I think another wellness check is due for Brian at Mountain Models. On a whim I went to check out his sight to see if there was anything new and this is what I got.
View attachment 205977
I started to search for information and found this thread over on RC Groups.
Mountain Models? - Page 4 - RC Groups
It looks like orders have not been fulfilled in about a year.

This concerns me, not for the company, but for Brian. Does anyone have a way to reach out to him? I would love to offer him any help he might need. I am still interested in buying the company from him. It may not be what he really needs but if it would help I want him to know the offer still stands.

I already emailed him and will try to call during the day this weekend but if anyone has a way to contact him for me, please let me now. I would even compensate someone in Wisconsin or the surrounding area to go knock on his door and say hello!

vhandon

I archived as much of the MM website as possible from the wayback machine. I have manuals for most models and would like to reproduce them at some point in some way. If I can acquire old kits or even just the plans, I think it would make it that much easier.

Murocflyer

I archived as much of the MM website as possible from the wayback machine. I have manuals for most models and would like to reproduce them at some point in some way. If I can acquire old kits or even just the plans, I think it would make it that much easier.

Copy. Thanks for the update. There is a gentlemen on RCG called 1987tc and of course you know Joe, between those two, I bet you could get many of the kits MM produced. Unfortunately, I sold all mine a number of years ago so I'm no help. Sorry.

Frank