Balsa Kit Manufacturers

Turbojoe

Elite member
When the Comet kit gets here maybe I can do an "unboxing". We're moving as soon as the new house is done in a few months so I've sold off a mess of kits locally and on eBay. Keeping all of my spare NIB MM kits but still have 30+ built planes that I don't want to get rid of but don't want to move. I just retired and to keep busy without spending money I've been pulling birds out that have been neglected for years and repairing/recovering as needed. NO NEW BUILDS until we get into the new house and are settled in. The MM Tantrum is rebuilt and waiting for Brian to get back to me about buying a couple of canopies for it. Otherwise ready to fly again. Next I go back to finishing the EVA Sport trike gear Twin. Then hopefully the crappy monsoon weather will be over and I can go out and maiden 6 or so planes that are ready to go. I'm excited about the Comet but have to try not to start building.

Joe

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I dont have glow power but I used to soak old motorcycle carburators that were gummed up in straight Pinesol overnight and it would strip the metal clean without hurting the plastic or rubber, then rinse with hot water and your carb would look brand new. Plus it smelled good...

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I dont have glow power but I used to soak old motorcycle carburators that were gummed up in straight Pinesol overnight and it would strip the metal clean without hurting the plastic or rubber, then rinse with hot water and your carb would look brand new. Plus it smelled good...

Yep! Did this for my old '73 Bultaco 350 hill climber and it worked great!

Last edited:

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
There's a new kit maker! :D

Old School Model Works has two kits they just released last month - I'm really interested in their Sky Ranger 40

http://oldschoolmodels.com/sr40.htm
sr40.jpg
I really like it too. The Comet also.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Forgot to report back on my Comet. It's a really nice kit but they did the same thing I've seen several kitters do on very early releases. The fuse side slots were cut for true .125" opening but the lite ply formers are only .100". Makes for a pretty sloppy parts fit. It was easy enough to makes shims to tighten everything up. A first time builder might be pretty frustrated though. I emailed them about it but was surprised that I never got a response. Hopefully they have corrected it in later kits. Aside from that as far as the fuse goes I have no other complaints. I haven't built the wing yet as I didn't have room at the time. All the wood is really nice and the cutting while not perfect on all of the lite ply is probably due to such an early cut.

In the meantime I drug out yet another 10 year old project. A 150% enlargement of a plans built T-tailed twin that I've already built three of at 100%. It's been slow and go but when that one is done I'll get back on the Comet.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks for the info on the Comet! I don't recall hearing that feedback on the reviews I've read about their other kits, so hopefully it's something they will correct quickly.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Thanks for the info on the Comet! I don't recall hearing that feedback on the reviews I've read about their other kits, so hopefully it's something they will correct quickly.

I'm sure the thickness issue has already been addressed. Even if it hasn't it's readily apparent that the parts fit is not right during the build and shimming will be required. An easy fix. They also sent out an email to early buyers about the wrong landing gear straps being included and mine had the "wrong" ones. In the notification email they offered to send out the proper parts but again, no big deal as I have a huge supply of Dubro parts. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the kit again. I hope what I've reported doesn't deter anyone from buying the kit. What I found was just a minor issue that popped up very early on in the build.

Their other kits look really good too but I already have too many of pretty much the same type of planes though the Wayfarer (LINK) looks like a possibility. I'd like to try a powered 2 meter glider and it could be a future purchase based on the overall kit quality I've seen so far.

Joe

jaredstrees

They have a new kit. The Comet. http://oldschoolmodels.com/comet.htm Was released for order on Monday. Put my order in immediately! Kits start to ship next week. Can't wait.

Joe View attachment 112249
Joe, is this plane really in the 3lb range? I’m in the market for something in the 30 to40” wingspan and this looks cool, but most planes I’m seeing in the size are measured in oz! Or at least closer to 1.5lbs.

And does anyone have feedback on parkscalemodels? I’m eyeing the daddy-o for my summer balsa build.

Eh, why did I find this thread?! It looks expensive!

jaredstrees

Bwaahaahaa!! Got another one in the trap! :p

Another builder in my club built one of the Park Scale Daddy-O's and loves flying it. I don't remember hearing any complaints from him about the build process.
That seems to be the consensus I'm finding on the interweb. Just going to have to bite on it sooner or later. Still have the radicalrc stick 400 on the way, so this is for later this year, but is it a pretty sweet looking plane.

By the time I get to this one I'll have four balsa builds under my belt and this one looks like a plane I can try and step the details and build up a notch.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I wish I could give more info from personal experience on the OSM Comet but at the time I started the build lots of things were happening and I just couldn't clear a wide enough space to build the wing. I did finish the fuse though. Check the thread on RC Groups for the CG issues some guys had. They finally got it sorted after a few crashes. Hopefully the manual has been updated. It's a pretty light build. I can easily see a 3-3.5 lb weight. I'll get back to mine someday. I've had many 10 year projects and this may or may not be one of those. I've already started on few more new builds/completions/restorations. The Comet does look SO COOL though! That's why I got it.

I've built the LoLo and the Monocoupe 90 from Park Scale models. I also have his Cessna 182 with aileron/flap wing still in the package. Zeke's kits are right on par with Mountain Models for wood quality and build ease. I've flown the LoLo maybe 3 times. I hate that plane but then I've hated every R.E.T plane I've ever had except the Mike Molt designed Mountain Models Cessna 180. That C-180 is an absolute pleasure to fly. The PSM Monocoupe 90 sits ready for it's maiden with aileron/flap wing. It has been another of my once in a while projects for many years. Honestly, I'm so happy with the way it turned out it just may stay a static display and never fly. Props to Zeke for such an outstanding job on this one. The Monocoupe 90 is a nice "scale" kit. It gets a 10 rating from me just on looks and kit quality alone.

Joe

Attachments

• Zeke Monocoupe 90.JPG
    Zeke Monocoupe 90.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Ordered the Park Scale Models XF-12 Rainbow kit back when they had their Black Friday sale. Really looking forward to building this one!

jaredstrees

Sweet looking plane, Joe! And thanks for the feedback. I'm not much of a fan of RET planes either. I'd rather dump the rudder and have ailerons. They helped me learn to fly, but now I find them too limiting. The comet will remain on my wishlist, but may have to wait a bit more. I think that I'm going to order the daddy-o here in the next few weeks. Need to let the Christmas expenditures get caught back up first.

Wow that Rainbow is sweet. I'm looking forward to seeing your build log on it!

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Has anyone had any issues ordering from Park Scale Models recently? I ordered the XF-12 back on Black Friday, and still no shipping notice, or order updates. I sent them an email and a facebook message a few days ago with no response..

Turbojoe

Elite member
Has anyone had any issues ordering from Park Scale Models recently? I ordered the XF-12 back on Black Friday, and still no shipping notice, or order updates. I sent them an email and a facebook message a few days ago with no response..

Not sure what it is with Zeke. When I ordered my Monocoupe 90 MANY years ago it took forever and several e-mails to get it shipped. Like many kitters I think it's a side business for him to supplement his main career. He won't screw you. It may take a while to get the kit but it'll be worthwhile in the end. I am so incredibly happy with my Monocoupe 90 that after finally finishing it after all these years I may never fly it. It looks so good that it may just stay as a static display even though it's 100% ready to fly. I have a few other of Zeke's kits. I put his quality right there with Mountain Models. Anyone that knows me knows I eat, sleep and breathe Mountain Models. Zeke will come through for you. It may take some time but it'll be worth the wait.

Joe

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor

Please keep us updated as you work through this. I ordered a kit from him maybe 3 years ago in the summer time and it shipped in about 3 weeks I think.

On a happier note, I added an entry under the "Vintage Kit Sellers" section of this thread:

http://www.thebestthings.com/rc_model_planes.htm

I just ordered my second kit from him and received it in less than a week. Then again, I think his shop is less than an hour from my house :D

Anyway, kits were exactly as advertised, safely packed, and I'm a happy camper. A lot of his kits are priced for collectors, but he's up front about kits with missing parts or plans that are priced for building instead of investing.

jaredstrees

I've got a Mountain Models update, and it is good news. I ordered some solite and the GT wing for the switchback from him in late December. He shipped it right away. It never got delivered to me, and was instead sent to an address in WA. I contacted him via email and the next day had an email reshipping the order. So hope the USPS doesn't screw it up again but Brian is still there and taking care of things.