Balsa Kit Manufacturers

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
I think I'll start my search for a build kit here. I'm interested in a mid-sized warbird. Not as big as Ziroli or Tip Flite Gold but bigger than a park flyer foamie. I'm thinking between 4 and 5 foot wingspan or so.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I think I'll start my search for a build kit here. I'm interested in a mid-sized warbird. Not as big as Ziroli or Tip Flite Gold but bigger than a park flyer foamie. I'm thinking between 4 and 5 foot wingspan or so.

There is a Balsacraft Spitfire IX kit at 48 1/2" wingspan for $129 about half way down the page here: http://www.thebestthings.com/rc_model_planes.htm#British_kits

And this one has been on my mind for a while and hits the requirements you mention...

http://manzanolaser.com/Polikarpov-...an-WW2-Fighter-Model-Airplane-Kit_p_3389.html

There are a bunch of other options for neat and not often seen warbirds at Manzano too...

http://manzanolaser.com/Between-Wars-Military_c_33.html

*sigh*

Now I want to go buy another kit too... :cautious:

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
There is a Balsacraft Spitfire IX kit at 48 1/2" wingspan for $129 about half way down the page here: http://www.thebestthings.com/rc_model_planes.htm#British_kits

And this one has been on my mind for a while and hits the requirements you mention...

http://manzanolaser.com/Polikarpov-...an-WW2-Fighter-Model-Airplane-Kit_p_3389.html

There are a bunch of other options for neat and not often seen warbirds at Manzano too...

http://manzanolaser.com/Between-Wars-Military_c_33.html

*sigh*

Now I want to go buy another kit too... :cautious:

That Spitfire looks perfect. I was looking for a Spitfire anyway but would have settled for an F4U or Mustang. It is purchased and headed my way!

JTarmstr

Elite member
I was actually going to ask, are their any good RC balsa builds with around a 30 inch wingspan for under $50 without electronics? i want to try a more complicated balsa build but i dont want to spend a ton of money on it.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I was actually going to ask, are their any good RC balsa builds with around a 30 inch wingspan for under $50 without electronics? i want to try a more complicated balsa build but i dont want to spend a ton of money on it.

Awesome! I should change the name of this thread to "Balsa Kit Research Service" :D

Gimmie a few minutes to get some options together...

We are close to the target with the Mountain Models Dandy GT at $59 - 31.5" wingspan

The RetroRC Babe eMoth $60 is a little smaller at 24" wingspan, but some very wide wings and cool golden age vibe!

I enjoyed building the Park Scale Models Mini Drake $40 - still a little smaller at 24" wings - but it's a flying boat!

For a little more cash, I know a guy who really loves his Park Scale Models Daddy-O $75 and 28" wingspan

For some early aviation vibes, there is the Manzano Laser Nieuport 1910 Swallow Tail $49 and 36" wingspan - they have a bunch of options in the 30-40" range at the $50 mark, but I believe they are all "short kits" which means you need to provide your own balsa sticks & stringers - they just sell you the plans and laser cut curvy parts.

Easybuilt Models has several options like the Stuka Dive Bomber in the 30" wingspan and $26-30 range, but they are setup for rubber power - would be interesting to see some electric conversion projects of these :D

Brodak also has some options like the Curtiss P-40F at 28" and $51 that are setup for either rubber or electric

Last edited:

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Update on my situation with Park Scale Models.. coming up on 3 months since I ordered the XF-12 kit. I’ve sent multiple emails, Facebook messages, and called several to recieve a “voicemail full” message. I’m getting worried that I’ll never see that kit or my money at this point. Does anyone know Zeke, or another way to contact him?

jaredstrees

That sucks, I've been looking at his daddy-o, but I won't order it unless I hear he's getting his kits out. Good luck, keep us posted!

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
I just got confirmation that my XF-12 has been delivered to my Apartment office! Can’t wait to get started on it. Still finishing out another 2 week rotation in northern Canada, so it will still be a while before I can get my hands on it.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I just got confirmation that my XF-12 has been delivered to my Apartment office! Can’t wait to get started on it. Still finishing out another 2 week rotation in northern Canada, so it will still be a while before I can get my hands on it.

Whew! Great to hear Zeke came through on the kit, even if it wasn't very timely or well communicated to you. Does make me a little leary of putting money down on one of the bigger kits. :unsure:

That sucks, I've been looking at his daddy-o, but I won't order it unless I hear he's getting his kits out. Good luck, keep us posted!

Stevens Aeromodel has a very nice Daddy-o kit if you don't want to risk it. I've had many orders from Stevens over the last couple years and all delivered without delay.

https://www.stevensaero.com/product/daddy-o-525/

jaredstrees

Stevens Aeromodel has a very nice Daddy-o kit if you don't want to risk it. I've had many orders from Stevens over the last couple years and all delivered without delay.

https://www.stevensaero.com/product/daddy-o-525/
Enabler! That does look nice, but I like the size of Zeke's better for my flying area. However, We are getting ready to move, so if I have a club nearby this may be a good option. Sigh. so many choices.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Whew! Great to hear Zeke came through on the kit, even if it wasn't very timely or well communicated to you. Does make me a little leary of putting money down on one of the bigger kits. :unsure:
The most surprising thing to me is that he never responded to any of my messages. I sent multiple emails, called multiple times, sent messages to him on Facebook, and Rcgroups, but never got an answer. I just happened to check my order status one week, and it said shipped. I wouldn’t mind a delay if there is an explanation, but just silence is not exactly reassuring.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I have dealt with some older guys that have web based stores and they don't seem to communicate all that well with emails, but when I call them, they usually answer.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
RadicalRC Shipping report - placed Friday March 8, shipped Monday March 11, and delivered today March 14th.

So 4 days of shipping time, 6 days total from order to hands on kit. I'm very happy with that! :D

Piotrsko

Master member
RadicalRC: found old style futaba G to J adapters (cheap) ordered 5 on Monday morning received Wednesday with the mail

jaredstrees

Finally! Six months after I placed the order my radicalrc stick 400 arrived! Now I will need to practice more patience, as I am moving across country in less than two months. I haven't gotten to fly in the last month or so, much less build, do to all the prep of selling my two homes and my father in law's! So it will stay in the box until I get to Colorado. Can't wait until this moving insanity ends and I can get back into the hobby full force!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Finally! Six months after I placed the order my radicalrc stick 400 arrived! Now I will need to practice more patience, as I am moving across country in less than two months. I haven't gotten to fly in the last month or so, much less build, do to all the prep of selling my two homes and my father in law's! So it will stay in the box until I get to Colorado. Can't wait until this moving insanity ends and I can get back into the hobby full force!

Whew! Great to hear it did arrive after all. Very curious what combination of kit cutting delays, lost orders, shipping delays, etc. might be behind this. The Stick 600 kit I ordered last month arrived in less than a week.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Brother, we just got done moving and it was a nightmear! Being an rc enthusiast and moving is a bad combination, good luck!