Balsa Kit Manufacturers

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks for the update on Mountain Models - it's sad, but we've had several peoples orders reported here that have had problems, and I'm going to pull them off the recommended list for now.

Very sad day. :(

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Speaking of kit manufacturers.... Mountain Models has been trying to sell his company.

I wish Flite Test or a similar company would buy MM's designs and start producing them... :(

They ARE good kits. I'm really impressed with the ease in which mine is going together.

Turbojoe

Elite member
It really is saddening to see what's happening to Mountain Models. I bought my first SwitchBack in 2001 (STILL have it!) when Doug owned MM. Always had awesome service from both up until Brian decided to sell and he lost interest. It'll be a shame to see it go away if he can't find a buyer. In the meantime I've hoarded close to 20 N.I.P Mountain Models kits just to be safe. ;)

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
There's a new kit manufacturer taking orders! :D:D

Willy Nillies is cutting kits of some classic designs https://willynillies.com/shop?olsPage=t/laser-cut-balsa-aircraft-kits

I saw them posting on facebook a month or two back, but they didn't have a website and only sold via Facebook PM at the time. Now they've got a webstore open, and the guys over on the RC Roundtable podcast were saying some positive things about them too.

They just have four kit options right now, an ACE GLH & Simple 250, and a Barnstormer & Littlest Stick, all sized for a Cox Peewee .020 or brushless 1806 motor. Prices are very reasonable too.

I just ordered one of the Barnstormers and plan to do it as a shoulder wing with the 29" span option - should be a quick little build and I've got the electronics already in the drawer.

My Super Sport 250 will be here day after tomorrow. I just looked and yet another 250 gram kit was posted and will be shipping by the end of the month: https://willynillies.com/shop?olsPage=products/hummer-250-coming-soon These guys are keeping busy!

Joe

Flynn

Rockyboy, Sorry I missed you on the show recording. I was pissed that I was A. Sick as a dog and B. still working at record time. Anyways, one of the main questions I was going to ask is "Now that willynillies planes have peaked my interest in balsa kits, where do I find more?" Kinda got the answer right here!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Rockyboy, Sorry I missed you on the show recording. I was pissed that I was A. Sick as a dog and B. still working at record time. Anyways, one of the main questions I was going to ask is "Now that willynillies planes have peaked my interest in balsa kits, where do I find more?" Kinda got the answer right here!

Missed you on the show too - but next time! Give me a shout anytime you need a guest to talk hobby 3D printing or CNC or getting started in design or getting involved with clubs or more balsa! :D

As far as helping you find your next balsa kit, what kind of kit are you looking for? Any particular plane type? Size? Old school building board or laser cut lock together designs? I love helping people find kits!

Flynn

Missed you on the show too - but next time! Give me a shout anytime you need a guest to talk hobby 3D printing or CNC or getting started in design or getting involved with clubs or more balsa! :D

As far as helping you find your next balsa kit, what kind of kit are you looking for? Any particular plane type? Size? Old school building board or laser cut lock together designs? I love helping people find kits!

I definitely love the SE5. But I’m not sure at this point whether I’m gonna completely scratched build one or try and find a kit. I think I want to stick around I definitely love the SE five. But I’m not sure at this point whether I’m going to completely scratch build one or try and find a kit. I think I want to stick around the 50 inch Mark. Maybe a little bigger. Thanks for the links I did check out some of those

vhandon

My attempt to buy Mountain Models:

I have been completely immersed in the RC hobby for the past two years. I love building planes whether it is foam or balsa. The perfect knife edge occupies my dreams.

I kept hearing glowing reviews for Mountain Models kits and lamentations on how you cannot get one anymore. I spent weeks researching their kits and the current state of the company. While there is not much info on the state of the company except that it appears to be abandoned, I really, really want to build just about every kit in their inventory.

After discussions with my wife, reviewing my finances, and getting advice from a small local manufacturer, I decided I was going to start the process to purchase the company officially registered as Mountain Models & Laser Arts.

In early January I started attempting to make contact with Brian, the owner of Mountain Models. I have sent emails, made calls and left voicemails that have not been returned. I was worried these mail boxes and voicemail boxes were no longer monitored so I decided to send an old school letter using the USPS certified mail. The mail was delivered almost two weeks ago and I have the return receipt showing that Brian signed for it. I have still not received any contact in return.

At this point, short of showing up and camping on Brian’s front yard (I am not going to do that, do not ever do that) I am not sure where I go from here.

People say no news is good news, but in this case not knowing why I cannot get a response is very frustrating. I am glad that Brian is alive and I am sure there is a good reason for the radio silence. I cannot be angry with Brian, I don’t know him. In the end I am just disappointed because I know how much fun creating these kits and getting them builders like you guys would be. I don’t need the money. I want a new challenge and a way to be a bigger part of the community. I don’t want to see these amazing kits disappear. And most of all I am sad that I may never get to build one.

So, if anyone knows Brian or can get a message to him. Let him know that I am a serious buyer. I have cash to offer and I would never tarnish the Mountain Models name. For now I am taking my foot off the gas. I am not going to make any further attempts to contact Brian but the offer still stands.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

I have been completely immersed in the RC hobby for the past two years. I love building planes whether it is foam or balsa. The perfect knife edge occupies my dreams.

I kept hearing glowing reviews for Mountain Models kits and lamentations on how you cannot get one anymore. I spent weeks researching their kits and the current state of the company. While there is not much info on the state of the company except that it appears to be abandoned, I really, really want to build just about every kit in their inventory.

After discussions with my wife, reviewing my finances, and getting advice from a small local manufacturer, I decided I was going to start the process to purchase the company officially registered as Mountain Models & Laser Arts.

In early January I started attempting to make contact with Brian, the owner of Mountain Models. I have sent emails, made calls and left voicemails that have not been returned. I was worried these mail boxes and voicemail boxes were no longer monitored so I decided to send an old school letter using the USPS certified mail. The mail was delivered almost two weeks ago and I have the return receipt showing that Brian signed for it. I have still not received any contact in return.

At this point, short of showing up and camping on Brian’s front yard (I am not going to do that, do not ever do that) I am not sure where I go from here.

People say no news is good news, but in this case not knowing why I cannot get a response is very frustrating. I am glad that Brian is alive and I am sure there is a good reason for the radio silence. I cannot be angry with Brian, I don’t know him. In the end I am just disappointed because I know how much fun creating these kits and getting them builders like you guys would be. I don’t need the money. I want a new challenge and a way to be a bigger part of the community. I don’t want to see these amazing kits disappear. And most of all I am sad that I may never get to build one.

So, if anyone knows Brian or can get a message to him. Let him know that I am a serious buyer. I have cash to offer and I would never tarnish the Mountain Models name. For now I am taking my foot off the gas. I am not going to make any further attempts to contact Brian but the offer still stands.
I admire your drive and willingness to continue a great brand but bear in mind that some business owners put their companies to sleep during poor economic times and revive them when prosperity returns. It is hard to sell a business that feels like family.

If you want to make your own kits all you really need is a supply of balsa, a few plans, a bit of computer literacy, and a good laser cutter. I am only a good laser cutter away from my own brand!

Have fun!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor

Amazing. It really makes me wonder if he gives a damn about the company anymore.

Turbojoe

Elite member
A lot of us rabid Mountain Models supporters are baffled by Brian seemingly abandoning the company. I started buying in 2001 when Doug Binder started the company. When Brian bought it he kept making improvements. His dream though was always to finish his engineering degree and he finally did it a few years ago. His good paying job (and family) are now his priority and I can't fault him one bit.

I used to provide him with my planes as displays in his booth when he would come to Arizona for the Arizona Electric Festival so he could carry more product to sell rather than have to haul a bunch of built planes taking up space. He gave me several prototype and beta builds. He was that kind of guy. I honestly don't think he has turned his back on customers. His life has simply taken a different path and it looks like the hobby side has to take a back seat now. I do hope he sells it to someone like vhandon that is ready to make a purchase offer and keep the name alive.

Joe

OliverW

Legendary member
I would love to see you buy the company. I am always willing to build beta kits!!!!! I need to buy an Eva bipe soon

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Time for some good Mountain Models news!

This was posted on the website as of 6/22/2020

--------
06/22/2020 Update:

I am back, as of today, and will be getting caught up as fast as I possibly can. Please note that this will probably take a bit, as I am limited to a couple hours a day right now.

Some of you know that the last year has been rough, with the last 2-3 months being especially trying. I re-injured my back, back surgery, divorce, learning to balance the half-time parent thing, hernia, hernia surgery, CO family issues, massive hacking of my email and personal accounts, other personal items, and then CoVid; in which the isolation finally broke me.

I have so many emails, voice mails, and orders to catch up on, that it's going to take a bit. Please be patient just a bit longer, as I will be issuing refunds to those who requested it, processing the remaining orders, and continuing production.

Thank you,
-Brian

--------

Sounds like a hell of a rough patch, and I do hope Brian is able to pull through it all. If people start having orders arrive or messages returned please let us know. Once I see that he's got the EVA back in stock I'll be ordering another one and will let people know how that goes too.

Turbojoe

Elite member

--------
06/22/2020 Update:

I am back, as of today, and will be getting caught up as fast as I possibly can. Please note that this will probably take a bit, as I am limited to a couple hours a day right now.

Some of you know that the last year has been rough, with the last 2-3 months being especially trying. I re-injured my back, back surgery, divorce, learning to balance the half-time parent thing, hernia, hernia surgery, CO family issues, massive hacking of my email and personal accounts, other personal items, and then CoVid; in which the isolation finally broke me.

I have so many emails, voice mails, and orders to catch up on, that it's going to take a bit. Please be patient just a bit longer, as I will be issuing refunds to those who requested it, processing the remaining orders, and continuing production.

Thank you,
-Brian

--------

Sounds like a hell of a rough patch, and I do hope Brian is able to pull through it all. If people start having orders arrive or messages returned please let us know. Once I see that he's got the EVA back in stock I'll be ordering another one and will let people know how that goes too.

He posted the same thing to RC Groups a day or so ago. I think most of us that have dealt with him knew that there was something unusual happening for him to disappear like he did. He's just not like that. I'm glad to see he's at least starting an uphill climb. Wishing nothing but the best for him.

Joe

OliverW

Legendary member

--------
06/22/2020 Update:

Thank you,
-Brian

--------

I'm super excited to get my hands on some of his kits!