Solved Balsa kits help

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
I am wanting to make a balsa plane from a laser cut kit. I am a bit of a beginner and I need assistance in finding a good kit. I was thinking that I could use the electronics of a few 5gram servos, and an 1806 motor on this kit.
https://www.amazon.com/Dumas-Erco-Ercoupe-Electric/dp/B00681M8H8
This is one I had in mind but I don’t think it would be best for a beginner rc plane. I am mostly looking to see if you all think this is a good kit for a beginner and what troubles I may face with building it, or what other kits may be a better starter kit for this sort of thing?

clay

i just started flying about 4 monrhs ago, i learned on a ft simple cub , but your servos and motors are going to limit the wing span and orientation is easier with something larger about 900-1200 mm , you will need a larger motor and servos. good day

OliverW

Legendary member
I am wanting to make a balsa plane from a laser cut kit. I am a bit of a beginner and I need assistance in finding a good kit. I was thinking that I could use the electronics of a few 5gram servos, and an 1806 motor on this kit.
This is one I had in mind but I don’t think it would be best for a beginner rc plane. I am mostly looking to see if you all think this is a good kit for a beginner and what troubles I may face with building it, or what other kits may be a better starter kit for this sort of thing?
It is a good kit, but would be very difficult to build for a beginner. I would advise you to check out WillyNillies.com for a kit for those electronics

speedbirdted

Legendary member
You'd be right. For one anything scale is not going to be beginner friendly. Also many kits sold on ebay and amazon come from Chinese companies where quality control is often nonexistent and so things like the quality of the wood included, the kit design choices and even the basic fitment of the parts can really suffer. Not entirely sure about Dumas themselves though; I'd only heard the name in passing...

Merv is right about the Q-tee. I built one back in June and it's a lovely little airplane. I have a build thread somewhere if you get one and need guidance.

P_20200628_105757 (2).jpg

You could also build the full-size 36" Q-tee if you want something a little bigger and a little more challenging. A short kit is available, though it's over twice as much money plus you need to supply additional wood along with it.

Pretty much all the Willy Nillies kits are good for a beginner. They jig themselves together, no plan is included (or needed) and you can have one flying in a weekend. Everything you need including electronics, covering and glue can be bought along with it on their website. Lots of people here have put together their kits plus Doug hangs around often and if you have a question about anything, usually responds fast if summoned.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Bro I agree with @SquirrelTail, you need to check out the WillieNillies website. They specialize in the size you are looking for, and every kit is geared to what your skill level in balsa may be. I just started in balsa, completed the build of my first project, sans covering yet. If i was looking for a mini as my first build it would have been these guys for sure. Check them out, every kit has variable options and budgets for what you may or may not need. I would say go for the barnstormer and build it as the Stick. That is exactly what I would do for sure. You can't go wrong.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I checked out the WilliNillies website and I found 2 that fit the bill. Thank you for the advice I will be building one soon. I liked the barnstormer and the trainer they have. I will look into it a bit more to make an informed decision.
The thing i like about the barnstormer is that as the stick it is a high wing, or what they call the shoulder. but it has trainer tendencies as a slow flyer. With the stability of being a high wing helps it fly just like a Cub, so a trainer it is. Of coarse depending on the power plant you put into it. An 1805 2300 will be a more docile plane and as you grow in confidence in it move up to 2206-07 and larger props, or up the cell count. More voltage, more power, more fun. It grows with you

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
I like the barnstormer but I still have a few questions. Do you think I could get away with a low wing for it as a trainer? I don’t have a runway where I am flying so it may be better for belly landing. Or is belly landing even a thing for balsa?

OliverW

Legendary member
I like the barnstormer but I still have a few questions. Do you think I could get away with a low wing for it as a trainer? I don’t have a runway where I am flying so it may be better for belly landing. Or is belly landing even a thing for balsa?
No idea if you could get away with it as a trainer. I'd email willy nillies about that, and balsa stuff belly lands just as well as foam!

Willy Nillies

Elite member
@DinosEatPeople1

Are you a beginner at building balsa kits or a total beginner at building and flying anything? If you have do/don't have flying experience, that makes a big difference in what we would recommend.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
@Willy Nillies

I am a better builder than flyer to say the least. I have built some balsa before so I am not to worried about building the plane. I just need a good flyer that may grow with me. I love the look of the low wing version of the barnstormer, and am mostly curious if I could fly it well as a trainer, with the low wing.

Willy Nillies

Elite member
@Willy Nillies

I am a better builder than flyer to say the least. I have built some balsa before so I am not to worried about building the plane. I just need a good flyer that may grow with me. I love the look of the low wing version of the barnstormer, and am mostly curious if I could fly it well as a trainer, with the low wing.

@DinosEatPeople1 the Low Wing Barnstormer would do a good job for you, IF you put the medium dihedral brace and build the full length wing. This gives it a good bit of stability/self righting and allows for slower flight. Then as you progress with your skills, you could order a wing kit for the Barnstormer, build it with no dihedral and clip one panel off each side of the wing for some excitement. :)

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
Thank you for the help guys! I will be building the barnstormer soon, I will need to see if I can get everything else that I need for the plane, covering film and what not. If anyone else has built the kit and knows what all it needs that will be amazing and helpful for me.

Willy Nillies

Elite member
@DinosEatPeople1 hey no worries! It's a very busy time of year for us right now. If you have all the electronics, all you will need are 2 of our covering packs (minimum) 1 pack will cover the wing, 1 pack will cover the fuse. You'll need a prop. If you want a landing gear and wheels that is additional. Everything else is included in the kit. :)

Have fun and God bless,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thank you for the help guys! I will be building the barnstormer soon, I will need to see if I can get everything else that I need for the plane, covering film and what not. If anyone else has built the kit and knows what all it needs that will be amazing and helpful for me.

You'll love this kit! I built one last winter and it's a fun build and a great flyer too! Build thread over here - links to the instruction videos from WN in there too.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/willy-nillies-barnstormer-250.60592/

Make sure to start up a new build thread, or feel free to post your experience and questions in my thread - we just want to follow along and enjoy the build too!