Balsa Plans to Foam Board Airplane: Flite Fest 2022 community challenge - FVM Ö1 Tummelisa

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
_DSC2202.jpg
First of all, it has been a long while since I've posted a build thread here. It became far too much work to make videos AND post to these threads with pictures. It was redundant at best. That being said, I think in light of recent disrespectful comments and assumptions of the FT "free" plans this subject has come up to me a few times over the years. Of note, the Sikorsky, SE5a, Fokker D.VIII, and the Seamaster II builds were all foam airplanes built using foam as the primary medium, some used more foam board than others. Of course, let us never forget the Gotha G.V.

Of course this is not the first time, and likely not the last, that I've done some instruction on this topic. This was a biproduct of the Seamaster II buid:
Video not embedded intentionally.

The Tummelisa was my first scale build after getting back into the hobby. My first event was not a good time for this airplane:

After having let the wound heal a bit, I did re-build this, including a FOAM cowl which still adorns the front of this airplane today. I struggled and learned along the way... (potato camera warning)

Finally, I made flight...

I never really got to enjoy this airplane for how beautiful it is. My hope is that with the simpler build I'll fly it more but also pick up the things I've learned SINCE I built the balsa version and learn from those mistakes.

So, without further delay...

If there a questions on anything that I did NOT cover, please ask, please comment, please make your voice heard. Honestly, the main reason I'm doing this is to help others learn how to take the balsa plans and make foam board airplanes. I take a lot of what I know for granted sometimes. Sometimes, I also do not know you YOU do not know. Help me help you.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
First of all, it has been a long while since I've posted a build thread here. It became far too much work to make videos AND post to these threads with pictures. It was redundant at best. That being said, I think in light of recent disrespectful comments and assumptions of the FT "free" plans this subject has come up to me a few times over the years. Of note, the Sikorsky, SE5a, Fokker D.VIII, and the Seamaster II builds were all foam airplanes built using foam as the primary medium, some used more foam board than others. Of course, let us never forget the Gotha G.V.

Of course this is not the first time, and likely not the last, that I've done some instruction on this topic. This was a biproduct of the Seamaster II buid:
Video not embedded intentionally.

The Tummelisa was my first scale build after getting back into the hobby. My first event was not a good time for this airplane:

After having let the wound heal a bit, I did re-build this, including a FOAM cowl which still adorns the front of this airplane today. I struggled and learned along the way... (potato camera warning)

Finally, I made flight...

I never really got to enjoy this airplane for how beautiful it is. My hope is that with the simpler build I'll fly it more but also pick up the things I've learned SINCE I built the balsa version and learn from those mistakes.

So, without further delay...

If there a questions on anything that I did NOT cover, please ask, please comment, please make your voice heard. Honestly, the main reason I'm doing this is to help others learn how to take the balsa plans and make foam board airplanes. I take a lot of what I know for granted sometimes. Sometimes, I also do not know you YOU do not know. Help me help you.

Welcome back! Happy New year. Nice new video to get the year rolling.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Following along eagerly!

Oi!! Long time no see. Hope all is well and you had a happy and safe holiday season. Hopefully we all have a better New Year then the last few.

I recently got some news to share so check your mail here.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Questions?

At this point I'll tell you that the airplane is basically done. It's more than ready to fly. I just need to edit video. I think I'm spending more time editing video than actually building this model. In case you don't know how much work goes into videos.... it's a lot. Again, why I stepped away from the forum.

Seriously, ask any question. If I were THAT good of a teacher to not have any questions I'd get paid for this stuff, which I don't.

The Fopster

Master member
Not a question but a suggestion. I like your idea of using the paintstick to spread the load from the U/C into the structure, but I thought could go even cheaper and lighter using those tongue depressor sticks doctors use. For some reason craft shops over here (UK) sell them, and they're cheap and thin. One of those on the fuselage side and butted against the paint stick would be super efficient way to spread the load. I'm doing it on my next plane with a U/C when I get building again anyway!
Great videos, btw. Kudos!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Sure! Yeah, I'd not want to put the wire gear directly on that thin wood as it would likely split where the crews go through... more on that later ;)

FlyingTyger

Elite member
Questions?

Seriously, ask any question. If I were THAT good of a teacher to not have any questions I'd get paid for this stuff, which I don't.

Are you making the wings removeable for transport? And if so, are you doing anything to secure the wing struts in place, or will they just float in the notches?

Tench745

Master member
I'm enjoying watching the build, as always. It seems a little silly (to me) to ask questions when we don't have all the info you've already assembled. The few questions I can think to ask regard how you're going to do future tasks, which are things you're probably already going to talk about.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Are you making the wings removeable for transport? And if so, are you doing anything to secure the wing struts in place, or will they just float in the notches?
No, at this point a 52" span airplane is easy for me to transport. Even if I did not use the back of my station wagon or SUV, I could still easily use the back seat of either with how short the fuselage is. It's not that big of an airplane. So no, no plan to disassemble.

I'm enjoying watching the build, as always. It seems a little silly (to me) to ask questions when we don't have all the info you've already assembled. The few questions I can think to ask regard how you're going to do future tasks, which are things you're probably already going to talk about.
That's a fair point but still fine to ask. It may actually help ME along too but also to explain this BETTER in the videos I do. Though, TBH I'm ahead on everything you see here... to the point where I put the final touches on the airplane today. Another update is coming tomorrow.

FlyingTyger

Elite member
No, at this point a 52" span airplane is easy for me to transport. Even if I did not use the back of my station wagon or SUV, I could still easily use the back seat of either with how short the fuselage is. It's not that big of an airplane. So no, no plan to disassemble.

Darn. I was hoping you had some cool system I could steal for my build. My issue isn't transport as much as it is storage. My basement is getting pretty full and a one piece airplane, even at 50", takes up a decent chunk of space.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Darn. I was hoping you had some cool system I could steal for my build. My issue isn't transport as much as it is storage. My basement is getting pretty full and a one piece airplane, even at 50", takes up a decent chunk of space.
Well, you can always steal from the Gotha:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...v-design-prototype-publish.12292/#post-277204

Then there's Carl's handy work:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...2022-dawn-patrol-challenge.69210/#post-700542

Lots of ideas around here. Anyone else think of ideas they can link to?

The Fopster

Master member
Another thought to help with the CG. I built a Cessna 195 and I had a gap in the firewall below the motor so the battery could sit underneath the motor and be as far forward as possible. Once you’ve run out of weight saving ideas in the tail not sure where else you can go? Risky of course in a crash, but... 🤷‍♂️

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
There’s many tricks you can do to add weight to the nose. For example, in my 1/4 scale Fokker I figured if I needed some ballast up front I could put lead shot mixed with gorilla glue into one of the dummy motor cylinders. That’s about as far forward as you can get. The other option is to just add more detail. In the Case of the Tummelisa I could just work to have a dummy motor of some kind to add the detail as
More functional weight.

It does happen but I’ve had to sometimes add weight to the TAIL of an airplane. My Seamaster II build was an example there. I added lead to the tail just so I capsule get a 2200mAh pack as far back as possible in the battery tray. Odd how some models turn out so nose heavy you need “junk in the trunk”