Balsa USA Bristol M-1 Kit

Which trim scheme should I do?

• Total voters

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Eagerly awaiting the next update. I built one when I was a teenager but never finished it. Found a kit on ebay and am going to finish this one!
I've been busy lately and decided to focus on all of my FF'21 projects before July. I'm currently a couple weeks behind schedule, so if I can catch up on those projects I'll do some more covering work. If I can't, then I'll complete this after FF and try to bring it to an event in August.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
So after over a month I finally have some sort of building area and I decided to get back to work on this project. I applied the EcoBond to the fuselage and covered half of the bottom of the wing. The Planetex fabric is pretty nice to work with once the EcoBond is applied; it doesn’t stick to itself like monokote. The EcoBond can also be used like filler for some divots.
image.jpg

I might change to a hidden servo before I cover the rest of the wing, I just have to get the kit for it.
image.jpg
image.jpg
As you can see my workshop area is just a wobbly mini table and an old stool, but I should be back to a larger space soon.

Last edited:

cyclone3350

Master member
I painted the wheels in acrylic and they came out nice. I didn’t want to use masking tape for the lines to make them look more hand View attachment 234319 painted like the would have been in real life.

Yes! As modelers of perfection, we tend to throw out authenticity & go with neat & perfect. Hand painting was the primary method of WW1. Looks good & authentic (y)

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I’ve got the cowl glued together and sanded smooth enough to paint, which I’ll do after I trim it to the right length for the motor. I also installed the servo tray. I ordered a bisson muffler for the evolution 20cc which is much smaller than the pitts muffler which came with the engine, that way it can fit inside the round cowl and keep the nose as short and close to scale as possible. A spinner’s also on the way and should arrive soon. I also got a xoar prop which I’ll use after the first few flights on a cheap plastic one.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I started fuselage and wing top covering, it’s going pretty smoothly all things considered.
44668C39-C88A-482A-A4E3-498EFD2937C4.jpeg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I got the Sarik Hobbies spinner in the mail and I’m relatively confident it will hold up with some modification. I’ll have to make a more rigid and temperature resistant reinforcement for the backplate, hopefully aluminum sheet metal, but most likely plywood. I’ll see if anybody sells pre cut aluminum discs in the size I need, and from there I can easily drill out a center hole. To attach the front of the spinner to the backplate I’ll use some screws. I’m considering not drillling out the center hole because of how it might affect the spinner’s strength. I also got a nice fuel fitting for fueling the plane without having any ugly fuel lines sticking out the cowl.
image.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I’ll probably just buy an aluminum spinner backplate around 3-4.5” with some extra holes in them for me to bolt the spinner’s plastic backplate to.