Balsa USA Bristol M-1 Kit

Which trim scheme should I do?

• Total voters

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I wanted to build my first WWI plane, and I decided on thr Bristol M-1 kit. It arrived a few days ago, and I was surprised, because it waz laser cut šŸ˜. I want to make a few modifications: adding the wing window, making it gas powered, and making my own 3d printed spinner which will be balanced and painted. I'll be covering it in Planetex, and using Latex brush on paint. There are 2 different trim schemes I really like, and I'd like you to vote on which one I should do. I haven't startrd building yet, because I want to have an engine, which I don't yet. Does anyone here have a used 16-20cc engine they'd be willing to sell? Thanks.
The 4th one down with the blue nose and tail is one of the trim schemes. I'm interested in.
1588607707222.jpg
This is the other one I was thinking of, the red spinner and funky wheels look nice. 4996
1588607905456.jpg

048804DD-D7EC-44CB-9DCE-043CCA9014E0.jpeg
CB5357F9-D8A7-471F-B2A4-4E9D2C082EEC.jpeg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Nice project! I don't have any 16-20cc gassers for sale, but I've seen some good deals on the "RC Engine Swap" forum on Facebook, as well as on RC Groups. Post a "wanted" ad, you'll likely find a seller easily. Depending on how wide that cowl is, the Zenoah G20EI could be a good candidate for you. It's got side-mounted exhaust and carb, so it's fairly short/compact. It's also got an electronic ignition so it doesn't weigh 800 pounds like other Zenoah engines. :) It's still manufactured so parts are available, and they are built to last. The Zenoah engines tend to be a little heavier and have a little less power than other brands, but they're work horses. I just picked up a G20 and a G38 from a guy in Arizona for a great price. The G20 hasn't been looked at yet, but just like the G38 he sent me I'm sure it'll need a full carb rebuild ($8), new carb gasket, carb mounting block gasket, and exhaust gasket ($3/ea). The G23 may be an option as well if you want more nose weight. It's got the magneto ignition, but also runs like a champ.

If you can't tell, I love the Zenoah engines. Currently I've got 2 of the G20s, a G23, 2 of the G38s, and a pair of G62 in my fleet (only about half are currently in use, the rest are reserved for specific planes).

If you do go with a used engine, be aware that people get "creative" with them at times, usually on mounting the carb or on stand-offs to mount the engine. In my opinion, using stock parts (and not some of the weird home-brewed stuff I've had) helps avoid headaches.

vhandon

I looked closely at this kit but ultimately decided on the Citrabria. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Last edited:

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Nice project! I don't have any 16-20cc gassers for sale, but I've seen some good deals on the "RC Engine Swap" forum on Facebook, as well as on RC Groups. Post a "wanted" ad, you'll likely find a seller easily. Depending on how wide that cowl is, the Zenoah G20EI could be a good candidate for you. It's got side-mounted exhaust and carb, so it's fairly short/compact. It's also got an electronic ignition so it doesn't weigh 800 pounds like other Zenoah engines. :) It's still manufactured so parts are available, and they are built to last. The Zenoah engines tend to be a little heavier and have a little less power than other brands, but they're work horses. I just picked up a G20 and a G38 from a guy in Arizona for a great price. The G20 hasn't been looked at yet, but just like the G38 he sent me I'm sure it'll need a full carb rebuild ($8), new carb gasket, carb mounting block gasket, and exhaust gasket ($3/ea). The G23 may be an option as well if you want more nose weight. It's got the magneto ignition, but also runs like a champ.

If you can't tell, I love the Zenoah engines. Currently I've got 2 of the G20s, a G23, 2 of the G38s, and a pair of G62 in my fleet (only about half are currently in use, the rest are reserved for specific planes).

If you do go with a used engine, be aware that people get "creative" with them at times, usually on mounting the carb or on stand-offs to mount the engine. In my opinion, using stock parts (and not some of the weird home-brewed stuff I've had) helps avoid headaches.
I think I'll look for one of those. This plane doesn't need the power, but it does need the nose weight of a 20cc, so a heavy one would be perfect

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I've got one of these kits in the workshop too, and the short nose has given me some concerns. I've been thinking about just "breaking scale" and extending the nose a couple inches - would rather have a better flying plane than a more scale plane I'm afraid to fly. :unsure:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Eh, just jam everything heavy up front, build the tail with light balsa, and it'll be good! :p Figure you'll have at least one battery in there, possibly two if you want to isolate the ignition module from the receiver (which is always a good idea with electronic ignition), which will all help the balance.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Eh, just jam everything heavy up front, build the tail with light balsa, and it'll be good! :p Figure you'll have at least one battery in there, possibly two if you want to isolate the ignition module from the receiver (which is always a good idea with electronic ignition), which will all help the balance.

Sure, that works for you guys with the smelly noise makers up front - those are super heavy already! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Us electrocuters would need an ATV battery up front to balance out! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I think that I'm going to get the number decals from SIG models because they sell individual vinyl numbers, if not then I'll get them through Callie Graphics.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I'm also going to add the little propeller on the landing gear for generating electricity, mine will be 3d printed and just spin around of course.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I think that I'm going to get the number decals from SIG models because they sell individual vinyl numbers, if not then I'll get them through Callie Graphics.

FYI, with so many builders at home and building, Callie has been swamped with work. Plan and order ahead if possible and expect delays.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
For the engine, If I can't find any used 20cc gas engines for a good price, I may have to go with a four stroke glow. Plus, the cowl is able to fit 4 stroke engines in this variation of the kit. For the flight pack I'll probably use a LIFE pack like what I use on my Stick 40. Luckily, it is rather flat and if possible, all of it will be up against the firewall. For the dummy prop used on the full scale for generating electricity, I think I'll use one of the tiny scale props that comes with the guillows rubber band powered kits. For the landing gear, I am supposed to solder it together. I may try a less perminent method, like the Zip ties Flite Test uses on the Simple Storch, but the zip ties will be painted flat gray if I do. I heard from one article online that the landing gear is a little fragile, but the post is from about 2007, and they may have improved that part of the kit by now. Either way, the zip ties will be easier to repair than the solder coming apart, or worse, bending the gear.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Thereā€™s a G-38 in eBay for a decent price if you want to over power the heck out of the plane! If I see a 20 Iā€™ll let you know. You could post a wanted ad on RC Groups, Iā€™m sure somebody there has one collecting dust. Iā€™m tempted to let one of mine go to help fund other projects...

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Thereā€™s a G-38 in eBay for a decent price if you want to over power the heck out of the plane! If I see a 20 Iā€™ll let you know. You could post a wanted ad on RC Groups, Iā€™m sure somebody there has one collecting dust. Iā€™m tempted to let one of mine go to help fund other projects...
Yeah, Yesterday I started making an acount, but my computer died while I was still registering. I'll try again, this time with the computer charged šŸ˜…

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Yeah, Yesterday I started making an acount, but my computer died while I was still registering. I'll try again, this time with the computer charged šŸ˜…

If you find something and want a second opinion on it let me know. Iā€™m fairly addicted to these old-school gas beasts, and actually just got a couple more from EBay. One is a Quadra 50 and the other is a Zenoah 38, I think. Itā€™s an early model that may have come from another Japanese company that partnered with Zenoah. Itā€™s supposed to come with an article from Model Airplane News from 1983 about it. Should be interesting!

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I just looked today, and saw a used Kalt K 20cc gas engine that looks ancient, but it is the right size :) Is that a good brand, and are there still replacement parts available for them? It is an auction, so it may end up having too high a price in the end, but hopefully the price stays low.