Balsa USA Stingray 120 Kit Build

earthsciteach

The only other kit I've built is a balsa wing and tail for my Slot Stick and it was a laser cut kit so It fit together like a puzzle and you dribble thin CA in the seams...super easy. This is working out to be just as easy and much less messy since it goes together mostly with carpenters wood glue.

I'm using magnets mostly and T-pins where necessary so I had a piece of 20 gauge sheet metal cut to cover a hollow core door propped up with saw horses.

rDSOieu.png

Thinking I may need more table space, I picked up one of these workbenches from Harbor Freight. I had a 25% off coupon so I got it for $119. It's hardwood and I glued all the joints and screw holes to make it more stable.

Imk3DbF.png
Oh, man... Now you're making me twitch! Must have that workbench!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Somehow I knew you'd missed the first posts, Teach! But for the record, me too, on the bench!

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
The proper electric motor for this plane is the one you use to start the 1.2 4 stroke glow engine on the plane;) I have a hobbico and a sullivan, they are both great!!!
Lol, quite right! My 1.20 4-stroke has already been assigned to my Tiger Moth project. There's a chance I may go fuel still. My initial thoughts were electric since I have a Sig Four Star 120 which is a very similar plane with a G23 gas engine.

lonewolf7717

It'll have room for an 18" prop.
Fortunately at this size your list of brushless conversion candidates gets pretty narrow. Which means you won't be loosing sleep over which motor to go with. Eflite power 110 or Rimfire 1.20....both will swing 16-18" just fine. This is getting a tad out of comfort level so far as brushless is concerned, maybe someone else can chime in. Casual observation, I wouldn't be able to afford the lipos required.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I think I should be able to fly this on 6s. I was considering a Power 110 equivalent (like the Taco 110 from HobbyPartz) but that's an 8-10s motor. I just want the plane to be sprightly, I don't want to rip the wings off. My first thoughts were in the 400kv range. that would give me 1400+ watts which would be around 150w/lb. I have a TURNIGY 50-65A 400kv laying around I was going to put in my Senior Telemaster.

lonewolf7717

Amazes me sometimes how well balsa holds up to decades in a box, typically in far less that ideal climate controlled conditions.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Amazes me sometimes how well balsa holds up to decades in a box, typically in far less that ideal climate controlled conditions.
It's true! Both the spars on the right wing were warped but the magnets held everything in the correct position while the glue dried.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I really like the magnet and metal board idea. I've seen it a few times in the past but haven't priced up the pieces yet. I have a large sheet of 16 gauge metal sitting in the garage, I think I need to put it to good use!

Where'd you get the magnets?

lonewolf7717

Now you are just showing off. Everyone to respond to this thread likes your plane but loves your table. Fortunately i have a Harbor Freight here locally, can lose a whole day in the place. Actually, should be noted....Harbor Freight is the reason I'm here today....if anyone remembers the Wild Hawk for $59 with coupon. Thats where is all started for me, back in the day walking uphill in the snow.