Balsa USA Stingray 120 Kit Build

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
This is my first traditional kit build, traditional being not laser cut. It's a 20 year old kit that was given to me by a fellow club member who won it in a raffle years ago. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go electric, but not 100% so I'm posting this in the fuel section since that's what this kit is originally designed for.

3eWoa9h.jpg

PApodSr.jpg

TdxZJcM.jpg

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
It's die cut. Pretty much the parts are stamped into the balsa and fall out with ease.

Here's what it looks like inside the box.

686BB9g.png

Full size plans, instructions, hardware pack includes pre-bent wires for landing gear, push rods, clevices, control horns, plastic for the wind screen.

earthsciteach

I'm drooling. Its crazy how these balsa kits turn me on, yet I have several sitting in my basement workshop awaiting construction. I'm starting think I just like balsa in boxes with pretty blueprints!

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
The only other kit I've built is a balsa wing and tail for my Slow Stick and it was a laser cut kit so It fit together like a puzzle and you dribble thin CA in the seams...super easy. This is working out to be just as easy and much less messy since it goes together mostly with carpenters wood glue.

I'm using magnets mostly and T-pins where necessary so I had a piece of 20 gauge sheet metal cut to cover a hollow core door propped up with saw horses.

rDSOieu.png

Thinking I may need more table space, I picked up one of these workbenches from Harbor Freight. I had a 25% off coupon so I got it for $119. It's hardwood and I glued all the joints and screw holes to make it more stable.

Imk3DbF.png

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
These magnets are awesome! about one inch square and a quarter inch thick and each one can hold 12 lbs! Great for holding ribs in place while the wood glue dries. They even held a slightly warped spruce spar in place in the correct location.

2TfnEFv.png

JgJiTr2.png

OrLpsnI.png

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
LOL, I started it yesterday evening. It does seem to be going together pretty quick and I haven't had to sand any of the wood to fit yet.

Top spar in place.

TOKeA1W.png

vmDbT4b.png

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
That is one big bird! I know you have a few jealous pilots on the other side of the screen with this one!

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
This http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__30867__NTM_Prop_Drive_50_50_580KV_2000W_USA_warehouse_.html will work, and probably send you vertical out of sight, but larger glow and gas engine conversions really depend on your prop and battery, as you can fly an electric with a much lower rpm ( or use a high voltage battery to get the extra power) then a glow. For example, my 40 size glow trainer flies quite happily on a g-25 equivalent motor, because I run it on a 6 cell to get the wattage I needed.

Last edited: