Balsa wood from OTHER THAN R/C companies?

Turbojoe

Elite member
I'm sick of paying ridiculous prices and especially ridiculous shipping prices for balsa. Since Horizon Hobby bought out Tower Hobbies we no longer have the really good Tower Hobbies balsa at really good prices. Shame on Horizon Hobby! :mad: The Midwest balsa they now sell might as well be OAK!

I already have a pretty good supply of balsa but can always use more. Horizon Hobby as the R/C Fuehrer is in the process of taking over and controlling everything about the entire R/C hobby. I refuse to spend a penny with them. I'm looking for balsa suppliers that charge based on weight rather than an obscene arbitrary fixed rate of $12.99 +++ for less than 8 ounces of wood. I can't lament enough about how much I miss the Tower Hobbies balsa section and the ability to order what I needed and it was only $1.99 shipping! Thanks to the Fuehrer Horizon Hobby those days are long gone.....

Joe

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I'm sick of paying ridiculous prices and especially ridiculous shipping prices for balsa. Since Horizon Hobby bought out Tower Hobbies we no longer have the really good Tower Hobbies balsa at really good prices. Shame on Horizon Hobby! :mad: The Midwest balsa they now sell might as well be OAK!

I already have a pretty good supply of balsa but can always use more. Horizon Hobby as the R/C Fuehrer is in the process of taking over and controlling everything about the entire R/C hobby. I refuse to spend a penny with them. I'm looking for balsa suppliers that charge based on weight rather than an obscene arbitrary fixed rate of $12.99 +++ for less than 8 ounces of wood. I can't lament enough about how much I miss the Tower Hobbies balsa section and the ability to order what I needed and it was only $1.99 shipping! Thanks to the Fuehrer Horizon Hobby those days are long gone.....

Joe
I've seen decent Balsa in Menards and Michaels. However, I prefer Balsa USA. They might not be the right price, but that's where I get Balsa wood.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I've seen decent Balsa in Menards and Michaels. However, I prefer Balsa USA. They might not be the right price, but that's where I get Balsa wood.

No Menards here in Arizona and Michael's WHEN they have ANY balsa is even worse quality than the Midwest Oak that Horizon Hobby peddles on us.

We have a few LHS but they cater only to the bARF crowd and balsa never gets restocked. I've pleaded with them to restock but they always say they'll never sell it so why stock it? Even then if they did it's all the crappy Midwest brand balsa from Horizon Hobby. :(

Joe

Tench745

Master member
My local hobby shop is under the banner of Hobbytown but they are locally owned and order in their own stock of Bud Nosen Models balsa. It seems like pretty good stuff, but I don't know for sure where you can get it local to you or online.