bamboo skewer plane, will it fly?

keek

The other day i was sitting on my desk when all of the sudden i get this idea of building a plane entirely out of bamboo skewers, thought i would keep it simple and went with a traditional stick like build. made the entire frame from skewers tied together using some cotton string then coated the joints with a good layer of epoxy the string soaked up the epoxy and hardened. After finishing the frame i covered it with a couple layers of plastic cling wrap seems to do the job so far. So here's the final product! I had to shove the battery, esc and receiver all the way forward in order balance the plane.

Attachments

• 02082012367.jpg
    02082012367.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 417

keek

I've finally gotten the chance to maiden it and turns out it actually flies! Unfortunately the flight didnt last long as a gust blew it to the ground, only damage was the fuselage cracking in half, i guess i can only fly this one in dead calm days cause it doesn't seem to like the wind much.. All in all i'm quite pleased with it I expected it to fold on itself on take off but it proved airworthy and since it's the first plane that i didnt build from plans!:D

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
It seems that you dont have any ailerons or V-form or ears (di/poly-hedral). It makes it hard to fly with the torque from the motor trying to roll the plane.

keek

nope dont have any of those, rudder seems to be sufficient though i might add ailerons later on. I don't know if this counts but the wings sort of flex in the air does that count as polyhedral?:rolleyes: