BangGood

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Hey guys.

I ended up giving BangGood a ban for a week, since I got a complaint from a forum member about spam in PM.

~Fred

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Thanks.

I'm liking this moderator corner of the forum. I was wondering why it fell out of use but thinking back we didn't have the negative activity we have now.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, I should have posted in here this morning. I got the report, and took action on it from my phone, since I was stuck at work.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
So . . . They're back after their break . . .

Psy in his response implied they are back to their old tricks. I've asked him via PM if he has evidence (he may just be grousing about their non-answer to the questions posed), and I'll post back with anything he provides.

So . . . if they're still spamming PMs, I vote permanent ban and delete the content from their threads -- leave the "you suck Banggood" responses up for all to see, but remove their advertisements.

If they're not . . . Naturally, keep an eye out, but I vote their new "FAQ" thread is completely useless and should go.

What say you?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I sent "Swi" the following PM.

Hello Swi,

We will allow you to post on the forum, but only if you are willing to answer questions from forum members, and keep advertising threads to the Merchant's Corner section of the forum.

http://forum.flitetest.com/forumdisplay.php?85-Merchant-s-Corner

Do not send advertising through the private messaging system, or you will not be allowed to post on the forum at all.

I will give you 48 hours to respond to this email or I will be removing your account as SPAM.

Fred

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Got a PM back from Psy. His claim was from general frustration, not that he'd been spammed once they got back from the bank.

I like the approach, though -- recognize the rules or begone.

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
Hey guys,

I dont wanna sound weird or pushy, BUT...
I know that BANGGOOD has some awkward and downright "BAD" business practices, so the least amount of traction they can get on FLITE TEST forums probably the better...just wanted to let you guys know!

Thanks for keeping these forums SO GREAT.. you guys are the unsung HEROS! ;)

Blessings,
Stefan

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Stefan,

Completely agree, but do we rather give them boundaries they can live in (but minimizes their impact) or fight a guerrilla marketing war with them?

In one case they hang themselves -- with their CS, they're halfway there already -- in the other, we're fighting an underground spam war with them . . . against our own members they've recruited through PMs we've never seen.

We take our marching orders from you -- we can/will ban on sight if you say so -- but there are consequences to either path.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I have no beef with either allowing Banggood to rise or fall on their own merits, or shutting them down now because of what they've already done. I see reasons for taking either course.

So how do they not get traction? Obviously our members will mention them on occasion whether we ban them or not.

I like the tack Fred has taken with Banggood (and Gearbest) where on top of all our other rules and guidelines use of the forum for shameless advertising will be allowed if there is invlovement. If we raise the bar like this and maybe other ways we can send a better message for what Flite Test and its community will and will not support.

Hopefully with the new forum system coming we will also be more able to restrict the content and spam that is increasingly more intent on forcing its way in.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Ok, bad news first. They replied.

Good news, it's Banggood. They're not going to be able to help themselves.

I have laid out a stricter set of rules than we've applied in the past, posts can not be pure marketing. They have to be helpful to the forum members regarding a specific product or a customer service issue. It has to be RC Flight related and no fidget spinner type posts.

That said, I agree it's distasteful to be rewarding their bad behavior on such obvious copyright violations like the Sparrow clone, and worse yet, the crappy quality of that product. But I'm betting it won't be long before they fall upon their own sword.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I like to think of it more how we make this good for our forum and the hobby. If the standards are raised and they don't comply then our forum is kept at high standards. If they do comply then the hobby as a whole gains. I know it might be a somewhat lofty expectation but I see this as encouragement and being part of a bigger solution.

I think raising the standards as you have is good in general for our forum as there have been a few that have been relegated to our shameless self promotion area way down at the bottom of the forum list which makes it easier to ignore but encouraging them to actively engage or go elsewhere is better.

As for giving them a reward, I disagree. While I also didn't like them copying the Sparrow and much less selling such an inferior product, I don't think there is any reward here, just opportunity and for both sides. If they respond favorably everyone wins. If they don't (I understand they likely won't) our forum will be maintained while this company and others who do the same will at least get a subtle message what we think proper conduct should look like. I think whatever happens we can be pleased with the results.

I also like the banning of fidget spinner everything. Hopefully the FT Store won't go there.:p

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
The "reward" is providing them access to the FT Community/customers.

Also allowing them access to this forum which is an expense to FT, but they get to utilize for advertising for free.

Encouraging their bad business practices through the two above points.

I did discuss it with Josh yesterday, looking for a little guidance on what they'd like to see, and he's quite happy with the work you guys have been doing (I can't take credit, you often beat me to any spam issues on the forum.) in regards to providing a balance between FT's interests and the needs of the community.

He felt the standards we set up are good. He's certainly not a fan of the business model that Banggood has established. If/when BG violates the forum rules (vague as they may be at this time), he's fine with us removing them from the forum.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I think of a reward as something more. I'll sleep fine if we disagree on some points of distinction.

Regardless, what used to be free now actually costs (time) as you have raised the bar where there will have to be interaction. I think our challenge now is to have a reasonable expectation of interaction in regards to quality and quantity when there might be a tendency to ride the fence.

I'm glad Josh is happy. He's a good man of the highest calibre with the right focus.

To be clear, I'm not supporting Banggood nor Gearbest nor anyone in particular. I don't want to get caught into a sentiment of hoping someone (or a company) does poorly so they can get what I think they deserve. I think it's a negative and unhealthy way to think. I do think the episode where Josh was objective and kind was the right tone for us to follow and those who come to our community can learn to follow as well or kindly take there business somewhere else.

When I was a bouncer, it was never personal. It was always with an attitude that regrettably someone must leave (with help) because their ability/willingness to be behave socially was not in accordance with our standards. I see a parallel function as a moderator.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
"Gearbest Jona

Hi, Fred

I am Jona, as the representative of Gearbest on flitetest forum.

We have opened threads for years, but yesterday, I found I can not open the thread again.

Would you mind checking for me?

1. http://forum.flitetest.com/showthrea...tion-(updated)

2. http://forum.flitetest.com/showthrea...tion-(updated)

I promise you I will stop spamming here, I am a real person in control of the account, I am

very happy to answer technical questions brought up by members.

I will keep your rules in mind, never send unsolicited private messages to other members.

I will have a positive communication with readers in community by a way that benefits both parties.

Thank you for your time and kind consideration.

Any comments will be highly appreciated;)

Kind Regards,

Jona

jona@gearbest.com"​

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I replied.

"Hello Jona.

Unfortunately due to abuse of our acceptance of outside vendors posting in the forums, we've having to implement rules about what is appropriate.

No more pure advertising threads, such as the two you linked to in your message.

Vendors can share information but it will be limited. We're currently reviewing what those limits will be.

Those Gearbest posts, far exceed what will be the tolerated standard. For now we'll ask that you limit posts to one product. One product post per day. If customers ask questions and they are not replied to, then the thread will be removed. No sending unsolicited private messages to forum members.

Other rules may have to be added.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Fred"

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Sounds clear, concise, tactful, firm, and fair.

Judging by the time Jona took to write his message to you, I believe there is a good probablility he will play nice.

Thanks for sharing.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
The funny thing is I was tired when I got this PM and thought it was Banggood, but it was a rep from Gearbest. Apparently in the attempt to curb the BG issues, I also shut down the spam threads that GB had been maintaining.

All in all, I think it's a good we're clarifying the policy now before it gets out of hand.