basslord1124 RC flight and Flitetest journey/diary - Perkyplanes & RC

Wildthing

Legendary member
I hear you all talking about loctite a lot and I figure it’s like super glue 3 second glue. Can your later remove it?

Like @FDS said LOL, blue not red :)
I put a small drop on the threads and then just touch it to paper towel or something and the excess will flow off and the threads will be fully coated. Loc-Tite isn't that cheap but a small bottle will do a million screws :)

Wildthing

Legendary member
The only time I use the blue is on linkage stoppers. I never thought to use it for motor mounting which really should be an obvious place to use it.

I almost always use the X mounts and in the beginning I had motors coming loose from the X mount but since I started using the loc-tite I has never happened again.

basslord1124

Master member
I'll definitely be putting blue loctite on all my motor screws from now on, especially this one. Need to find my tube of it though, hoping I didn't lose it. :oops:

It can be kinda messy too @mayan so definitely good to have a paper towel around to dab it.

Something else I pondered, was the fact I was using a plastic firewall. Wonder if that is more sensitive to vibrations and may need something else to absorb them. Has anybody else ever used plastic firewalls? I know my FT Mini Scout went through quite a few flights/crashes, no blue loctite and an FT wood firewall, and the motor never budged on it...well until I obliterated the firewall in a crash. :p:D

basslord1124

Master member
New video... this is basically a goofy little snippet video of the Bloody Baron trying to attack a tree (same thing as seen in the longer maiden video). Sometimes I like to create little goofy videos too of the various plane experiences I have:

The tree kinda reminds me of the Whomping Willow from Harry Potter. :eek::p:D

Wildthing

Legendary member
I have no idea the type of plastic. It was an old plastic dollar store dishpan that I had cut up.

Possibly as the motor gets warm it may soften the plastic enough to allow the screws to be loose and I think with my 3D printed mounts do the same thing slightly especially when I trash around at wot and if that is the case the loc-tite might cure your problem ;)

basslord1124

Master member
All right, here is the flight video footage from the FT Simple Cub flight and the motor coming loose. I was actually very quiet during the flight duration instead of chatting, so I threw in some of the standard "funky" flight music that I use. The music is not mine, although I had pondered creating my own music for youtube videos since I do play music.

Perhaps me being quiet was an indication that something was going to happen. I do chat at the end of the video.

Overall I felt the flight performance was pretty good, a little different for what I was used to. Someone else pointed this out (can't remember who) but the Simple Cub seemed more based off of a clipped wing cub which I have never really flown any sort of clipped wing cub...mainly cubs with larger wings. So yeah it does seem like the Simple Cub/Tubby Cubby is like a chubby clipped wing cub. Makes me wonder how it'd fly with a longer wing. :)

basslord1124

Master member
Thanks @mayan . I kinda wonder when I did the loop I was pushing full throttle then and those vibrations loosened the motor. And that's when she started going down.

basslord1124

Master member
Well had a few things happen over the past few days.

1st of all, I did a 4th of July flight with the FT Seaduck. It hasn't been flown in like 2 years basically. I flew it shortly after I first built it and before it got painted. No video of it but it was surprisingly an uneventful maiden. No crashes, flew fine aside from trim. And then life happened basically...baby was born, a lot of hospital stays, etc. THEN, finally got back to working on my planes, finally got the Duck painted, etc. And so now, here we are. 2nd flight started pretty good and went good until landing. It wasn't the worst landing ever, but it did suffer some damage. Yeah it sucks, but I kinda laughed about it. I think the nose I could probably pop back out and the wing, I'm sure can be fixed...just wondering what the best approach would be. Of course video will be coming soon. Here's pics...

Duck-nose-damage.jpg

Duck-wing-split.jpg

Something else that's interesting but I kind of expected. On that first flight, I had marked where the 3S 2200Mah battery should be located for proper balancing. Post paint job that mark was irrelevant as the plane was now tail heavy (added paint weight I'm sure). I ended up rubber banding a small set of allen wrenches to the battery to give it some extra weight for the flight. For those who have not tried the Seaduck, the battery tray is pretty good sized. BUT due to the battery hatch size and whether or not you have small or fat hands (I have fat hands) it's a pain to add/remove the battery if you have to have it far forward or far back. So the more centered you can get it the better and easier it is. The allen wrench thing worked pretty good in a pinch.

Considering the circumstances with the crash, this would be a good opportunity when I have it apart to not only fix the crash damage but also the balance issues. Plus, I want to try and tuck/hide my receiver better. So it sort of worked itself out.

Something else that's happened recently and that has me a little bummed and unsure, is after I posted these damage pictures to a Facebook RC group that I am a member of, it just so happens a member of the RC airfield that I am a club member at saw my post in the group, asked why I haven't been flying at the club. I'm not sure if that was to be taken as genuine concern for why I haven't OR *hands on hips* asking why I haven't been. Sometimes it's hard to understand how to take some things on the internet. I was at our field about a month ago hanging with some club members, but most all of my flights this year have been small little fields around the community. Sometimes it was just more convenient for me to get a quick flight at a small field rather than making the trek out to the airfield. I've missed a lot of this years meetings due to scheduling conflicts or my wife being sick or in the ER. I had actually been thinking of making it out to the airfield here soon anyways as it is time to pay dues.There's really a lot of reasons I haven't been out there, but in the end, it's just been a bad year for making it out to the field. I really don't mind him asking why I haven't been...just kinda wish it was done in a private message rather than a public group like that.

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
Well had a few things happen over the past few days.

1st of all, I did a 4th of July flight with the FT Seaduck. It hasn't been flown in like 2 years basically. I flew it shortly after I first built it and before it got painted. No video of it but it was surprisingly an uneventful maiden. No crashes, flew fine aside from trim. And then life happened basically...baby was born, a lot of hospital stays, etc. THEN, finally got back to working on my planes, finally got the Duck painted, etc. And so now, here we are. 2nd flight started pretty good and went good until landing. It wasn't the worst landing ever, but it did suffer some damage. Yeah it sucks, but I kinda laughed about it. I think the nose I could probably pop back out and the wing, I'm sure can be fixed...just wondering what the best approach would be. Of course video will be coming soon. Here's pics...

View attachment 135357

View attachment 135358

Something else that's interesting but I kind of expected. On that first flight, I had marked where the 3S 2200Mah battery should be located for proper balancing. Post paint job that mark was irrelevant as the plane was now tail heavy (added paint weight I'm sure). I ended up rubber banding a small set of allen wrenches to the battery to give it some extra weight for the flight. For those who have not tried the Seaduck, the battery tray is pretty good sized. BUT due to the battery hatch size and whether or not you have small or fat hands (I have fat hands) it's a pain to add/remove the battery if you have to have it far forward or far back. So the more centered you can get it the better and easier it is. The allen wrench thing worked pretty good in a pinch.

Considering the circumstances with the crash, this would be a good opportunity when I have it apart to not only fix the crash damage but also the balance issues. Plus, I want to try and tuck/hide my receiver better. So it sort of worked itself out.

Something else that's happened recently and that has me a little bummed and unsure, is after I posted these damage pictures to a Facebook RC group that I am a member of, it just so happens a member of the RC airfield that I am a club member at saw my post in the group, asked why I haven't been flying at the club. I'm not sure if that was to be taken as genuine concern for why I haven't OR *hands on hips* asking why I haven't been. Sometimes it's hard to understand how to take some things on the internet. I was at our field about a month ago hanging with some club members, but most all of my flights this year have been small little fields around the community. Sometimes it was just more convenient for me to get a quick flight at a small field rather than making the trek out to the airfield. I've missed a lot of this years meetings due to scheduling conflicts or my wife being sick or in the ER. I had actually been thinking of making it out to the airfield here soon anyways as it is time to pay dues.There's really a lot of reasons I haven't been out there, but in the end, it's just been a bad year for making it out to the field. I really don't mind him asking why I haven't been...just kinda wish it was done in a private message rather than a public group like that.
I think the damage is repairable by poping out the nose and pushing hot glue into the crack on the wing and holding it in place. As for the question on Facebook I think that if you are not late on payment to the club then the question was out of pure concern and wanting to hang out. Don’t get offended but I think you should try to be less hesitant about things. They way people think of you or your flying. People should either like you the way you are or get lost.

basslord1124

Master member
I think the damage is repairable by poping out the nose and pushing hot glue into the crack on the wing and holding it in place. As for the question on Facebook I think that if you are not late on payment to the club then the question was out of pure concern and wanting to hang out. Don’t get offended but I think you should try to be less hesitant about things. They way people think of you or your flying. People should either like you the way you are or get lost.

Thanks for the reply @mayan .

I'm not fretting repairs too much.

And thanks for your thoughts in regards to the Facebook post. I'm not offended by what you said or anything. ;) Actually this is one of the few places I visit on the 'net where folks talk about things maturely and in a friendly and positive manner... I like that. I am not perfect... None of us are. Yeah I was quick to assume the worst there even if it wasn't the case. I think thats partially b/c I feel bad about not making it out there more so I sort of felt "guilty". But sometimes it was things I couldn't control on why I couldn't make it to the field.

basslord1124

Master member
Well here's the Seaduck's "sort of" maiden (2nd flight) video, here you can see the crash landing that occurred. I may try and take her apart this week to do the repairs.

As for anything else, I did give some updates to the one RC club member and told him that I'd be out there at our next club meeting (next Sunday) to pay my dues. I think my significant other would prefer I not do the club just b/c she had a bad experience there when she was a member. And it was an experience that she took personal and shouldn't have. But I told her I'd like to at least go out there a few times a month. I looked it up one day...our club is actually a 20 minute drive (11 miles) from our house. So I suppose it falls in the category of not super close but not too far away either. I may still occasionally hit up the other closer fields for a quick flight.

basslord1124

Master member
Been a few days without an update, so thought I'd pop in with one.

First of all, I have removed the bottom portion of the Seaduck. The nose pretty much popped back out BUT it also cracked open where the pieces of foamboard come together (the curved part of the nose is 3 pieces of foamboard that come together). Sooo, some regluing will have to be done too. But as I thought, the repair should be easy. Haven't investigated the wing crack too much yet. I do wonder if it cracked the spar as well. :(

Seeing as how the Bloody Baron has successfully had its maiden (although I still wanna fix the battery location/pod thing), I am going to start tackling my other plane projects and get them ready. My end goal for the foamboard based ones, is to get them to the point they are ready to maiden. After the maiden, assuming it's successful, is when I will add color/paint.

The next one I am going to tackle is my profile plane. Here is the current state of it:

profile-plane1.jpg

profile-servo1.jpg

profile-motor-esc.jpg

Overall, not too far from completion. Need a few more servos and linkages (ailerons and rudder), receiver installed, and check balance. I also want to add a reinforcing rod to the tail section. From the wing forward it feels pretty solid, but I have noticed the tail has some slight flex. Would hate to have it snap during flight. This is sort of based off an existing design from RCGroups and it had a reinforcing rod going the entire distance of the fuse and one on the wing. I don't think I have a rod long enough for the whole fuse, but I think just doing one for the tail end half should be adequate. I suppose I could join 2 rods together for the whole length or see if I can locate a long enough one for the fuse. Thoughts?

basslord1124

Master member
You could use a piece of FB to run along the side of the fuselage to re-enforce it.

I like it, may give that a try. Thanks @mayan ;)

Actually it hit me too that I could use that idea to sort of hide my servo wires on the tail and keep them from moving around. That kinda goes against the "exposed" look of a profile plane but oh well. :D I was going for function moreso than looks with this plane anyways. A cheap quick aerobatic build to practice on.

mayan

Legendary member
I like it, may give that a try. Thanks @mayan ;)

Actually it hit me too that I could use that idea to sort of hide my servo wires on the tail and keep them from moving around. That kinda goes against the "exposed" look of a profile plane but oh well. :D I was going for function moreso than looks with this plane anyways. A cheap quick aerobatic build to practice on.
Happy to help like always. Why don’t you join us on the build of the Edge 540?