basslord1124 RC flight and Flitetest journey/diary - Perkyplanes & RC

basslord1124

Master member
Got some color on my Bloody Baron today...

bb1.jpg

bb2.jpg

basslord1124

Master member
Haha thanks! Still got the underside to do to the Baron. Plus gonna add some bloody fingerprint details to the underside of the wing and my wife is probably going to make a "Dexter" decal to add to it with her Cricut. Don't really name or theme my planes, so this is kind of a first. The closest I got to this was naming my Hobbyzone Champ "Teddy"...after Teddy Duchamp from Stand By Me.

Plane life has been slow here recently. Haven't even released a new youtube video yet, although I've got one in the works for the Baron paintjob experience. Also posted more updates to the Edge build process over at the Edge thread:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...f-the-world-we-meet.59425/page-12#post-492740

It's coming together quite nicely and I don't have a whole lot left (wing, tail, and electronics mainly). Got some other builds lined up for the future:

-KFM Wing
-Master Series Corsair
-FT Spitfire

Once I get rolling with these I'll have links to any related threads and probably have youtube videos eventually on these experiences, builds, and flights/crashes.

I believe I mentioned earlier about tackling my existing projects but here I am adding some new ones. I have no explanation other than I guess this is just the excitement and fun of this addicting hobby taking over any "plans" that are made. I can be a thinker, planner, and be analytical...BUT I can also be spontaneous. I also blame @mayan for all this new project excitement. :p:D

Seeing as how the profile plane met it's demise and needs rebuilt (I still would like to revisit the profile plane again), I'm going to shift my focus also to my longstanding 7.5 foot glider project. This was a glider developed by @Planiac01 that I built towards the end of late last year. The wing still needs some reinforcement (unlike his, I actually made the wing split in 2 for easy transport) and a few last minute electronics things and then it's ready to go.

On a different note, I've also been helping out fellow member @PoorManRC . Generally for advice or even some moral support in his Flitetest quest. I generally have given little tips and experiences to various members over time...both here and on Facebook. But this is the first time with a more one on one experience here through the forums. I have been in those shoes...just starting out with Flitetest and all the highs and lows with the journey.

Well that is all for me for right now. Got some things to do, and a new video to edit.

PoorManRC

Master member
I definitely appreciate your help!! Being old in a Hobby but NEW to a large group has its own set of unique challenges...

On top of the challenges that I have myself - like doing crazy modifications to existing and popular Planes!! 😲
I feel like I should have my own Diary!
Chapter 4 was a disaster, but I've got higher hopes for Chapter 5 - the Simple Scout. I'm drawing on my actual model building and details experience, making it LOOK expensive. It might even FLY this time!! 😜
Thanks for the mention!!

Also rebuilding my Storch with the Scout! Have you seen that Thread yet?

....... And WOW!!!! That Baron looks AWESOME!!! Loving the Blood Spatter. 👍👍

basslord1124

Master member
Hey no prob @PoorManRC . Just keep at it doing what you are doing. That's one of the cool things about FT...everybody has their own ideas/designs they want to bring to the table. If it works great...if it doesn't that's ok too. Just as long as you're learning and having fun.

I used to blog anyways, but there's not really an option for a blog anywhere on the FT site that I have found (I do think they used to have one)....so @mayan sort of inspired me to just make a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong thread instead. I've got a blog over at RCgroups too where I share my videos. Honestly, I get a lot more feedback here though.

Hey thanks @BATTLEAXE ...been slow on the vids here recently...but it'll pick back up. I need a bearded emoji with glasses. :)

PoorManRC

Master member
..... I don't know too many People at RC Groups, but the impression I get is - FT HATERS and Holier than thou type of People. 😖
In the Aircraft section anyway.
In the RC Crawler area there's a few cool People who I do know. Even though the majority of the RC Ground there consists of the cheap CRAP, Korean Knockoffs....
The Guys in that section are friendly and helpful.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
..... I don't know too many People at RC Groups, but the impression I get is - FT HATERS and Holier than thou. 😖
In the Aircraft section anyway.
In the RC Crawler area there's a few cool People who I do know.
Haven't seen enough there to be sure but I got this vibe too just a bit on certain sub boards there. Its mainly the people who think any foam plane is garbage. The foamy sub board seemed pretty chill. They have a right to their opinion, but I'll just toss those silly notions in the bin with my old airframe, that will only take me a matter of hours and $1-3 of foam to completely replace and maybe even improve.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Haha thanks! Still got the underside to do to the Baron. Plus gonna add some bloody fingerprint details to the underside of the wing and my wife is probably going to make a "Dexter" decal to add to it with her Cricut. Don't really name or theme my planes, so this is kind of a first. The closest I got to this was naming my Hobbyzone Champ "Teddy"...after Teddy Duchamp from Stand By Me.

Plane life has been slow here recently. Haven't even released a new youtube video yet, although I've got one in the works for the Baron paintjob experience. Also posted more updates to the Edge build process over at the Edge thread:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...f-the-world-we-meet.59425/page-12#post-492740

It's coming together quite nicely and I don't have a whole lot left (wing, tail, and electronics mainly). Got some other builds lined up for the future:

-KFM Wing
-Master Series Corsair
-FT Spitfire

Once I get rolling with these I'll have links to any related threads and probably have youtube videos eventually on these experiences, builds, and flights/crashes.

I believe I mentioned earlier about tackling my existing projects but here I am adding some new ones. I have no explanation other than I guess this is just the excitement and fun of this addicting hobby taking over any "plans" that are made. I can be a thinker, planner, and be analytical...BUT I can also be spontaneous. I also blame @mayan for all this new project excitement. :p:D

Seeing as how the profile plane met it's demise and needs rebuilt (I still would like to revisit the profile plane again), I'm going to shift my focus also to my longstanding 7.5 foot glider project. This was a glider developed by @Planiac01 that I built towards the end of late last year. The wing still needs some reinforcement (unlike his, I actually made the wing split in 2 for easy transport) and a few last minute electronics things and then it's ready to go.

On a different note, I've also been helping out fellow member @PoorManRC . Generally for advice or even some moral support in his Flitetest quest. I generally have given little tips and experiences to various members over time...both here and on Facebook. But this is the first time with a more one on one experience here through the forums. I have been in those shoes...just starting out with Flitetest and all the highs and lows with the journey.

Well that is all for me for right now. Got some things to do, and a new video to edit.
Looking forward to seeing the KFM wing! Seems to be getting pretty popular around here. I think its a good design, will try it or something very much like it some time in the future.

PoorManRC

Master member
Haven't seen enough there to be sure but I got this vibe too just a bit on certain sub boards there. Its mainly the people who think any foam plane is garbage. The foamy sub board seemed pretty chill. They have a right to their opinion, but I'll just toss those silly notions in the bin with my old airframe, that will only take me a matter of hours and $1-3 of foam to completely replace and maybe even improve.
Yeah... I just don't talk to those Guys. Nearly ALL of them live their Hobby like...
Giving out cash.gif

And well, I haven't been able to for nearly 7 years. 😞 They have little to NO empathy for Guys like us.
That's one of the many reasons why I love it here!!
That's ALL I'll say on that... I'm not THAT GUY, who completely takes over someone else's Thread!!! 😋

@basslord1124 I was just going back on this Thread a little...
I've never built or seen a KFM Wing done in any detail. That should be interesting!
Is it true that you can't do Dihedral in that Wing type?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Yeah... I just don't talk to those Guys. Nearly ALL of them live their Hobby like...
View attachment 139772
And well, I haven't been able to for nearly 7 years. 😞 They have little to NO empathy for Guys like us.
That's one of the many reasons why I love it here!!
That's ALL I'll say on that... I'm not THAT GUY, who completely takes over someone else's Thread!!! 😋

@basslord1124 I was just going back on this Thread a little...
I've never built or seen a KFM Wing done in any detail. That should be interesting!
Is it true that you can't do Dihedral in that Wing type?
You can add dihedral to any wing design though the KFM wings as executed on the FT Forum have no internal cavities and therefore the fitting of dihedral braces and the like can be rather involved and somewhat messy. Alternate KFM wing structures do allow the easy fitment of dihedral braces. With the right support/press arrangement it is even possible to use a solid KFM structure to give a curves wing form which can have the wings curving upwards in a minor manner thereby introducing some dihedral and even washout of required. Sadly it takes a fair bit of setup time and materials.

A KFM wing with aggressive wing sweep angles even though flat have performance similar in stability to ad if they had some dihedral. (It is a feature of swept wings!).

PoorManRC

Master member
You can add dihedral to any wing design though the KFM wings as executed on the FT Forum have no internal cavities and therefore the fitting of dihedral braces and the like can be rather involved and somewhat messy. Alternate KFM wing structures do allow the easy fitment of dihedral braces. With the right support/press arrangement it is even possible to use a solid KFM structure to give a curves wing form which can have the wings curving upwards in a minor manner thereby introducing some dihedral and even washout of required. Sadly it takes a fair bit of setup time and materials.

A KFM wing with aggressive wing sweep angles even though flat have performance similar in stability to ad if they had some dihedral. (It is a feature of swept wings!).
THANKS! 👍👍
Seems complicated yet doable.
I'm assuming that you're not referring to Jet-like sweep? (25% +)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

Nicely done @Hai-Lee! You have me 90% convinced. And you are like a hurricane of information. And you have me 90% convinced you are not human either, some kind of RC Flight Server AI kinda unit lol! Who needs google.

Thanks for the insight my friend. A lot to think about. Broadens the possibilities.

mayan

Legendary member
@Hai-Lee it can actually be quite easy if you just put a lot of weight in the middle and less on the sides it will get a sort of belly in the middle and the wings will flare up a bit.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
@Hai-Lee it can actually be quite easy if you just put a lot of weight in the middle and less on the sides it will get a sort of belly in the middle and the wings will flare up a bit.
That is true as long as you do not attempt to make the bend too great and also as long as you support the entire wing structure so that you do not cause the FB to fold, crease or wrinkle. Additionally you definitely need patience and allow the glue to fully cure/harden or else you can end up with a bitter and twisted mess!

Have fun!

basslord1124

Master member
@PoorManRC. ... Yeah @Hai-Lee said it pretty much. The KFM wing is layered foamboard so not as easy to do dihedral. You'd have to cut the layers in the center, prop it up to your desired angle, and glue it back. Or find some other way of doing it. I dont recall seeing dihedral on a flying wing. It might be a good idea for training someone.

And yeah @mayan ... The brush did better. I'm thinking thinner paint on the prop and/or a brush behind the prop while its running might've produced better results.

PoorManRC

Master member
@PoorManRC. ... Yeah @Hai-Lee said it pretty much. The KFM wing is layered foamboard so not as easy to do dihedral. You'd have to cut the layers in the center, prop it up to your desired angle, and glue it back. Or find some other way of doing it. I dont recall seeing dihedral on a flying wing. It might be a good idea for training someone.

And yeah @mayan ... The brush did better. I'm thinking thinner paint on the prop and/or a brush behind the prop while its running might've produced better results.

OH...... It's a Wing construction for a Flying Wing? Makes sense BUT...

Jack Northrop's first Flying Wings, the N-3, N-9, and XB-35 all had a slight Dihedral.
Although when he converted the XB-35 from 4 contra rotating Props to 8 Jet Engines - changing the USAF designation to YB-49, after WWII... It lost the Dihedral.

The YB-49 was rejected by the Air Force, stating that the Yaw instability made it an inadequate Bombing platform makes me think... 😣

Shouldn't Flying Wings HAVE some Dihedral? 😲

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Dihedral, (and anhedral), as mechanisms to control the inherent roll stability/instability of a design. Whilst a small amount of inherent stability is desirable too much dihedral can be a serious curse and introduce some rather unpleasant characteristics. SEE DUTCH ROLL.

Ideally where the centre of ,mass is above the centre of lift, (looking from the front of the bird there is a tendency for the weight to do a pendulum and for the plane want to fly upside down. In this case you add dihedral stability to reduce the pendulum instability. When the centre of lift is above the centre of mass then there already is a degree of pendulum stability and so dihedral may not be required. In some cases, (Harrier for example), the pendulum stability is so severe that the centre of lift is lowered using anhedral to reduce the stability markedly so that the planes maneuverability is returned to close to neutral.

As stated previously a swept back wing has inherent stability that is akin to that produced by dihedral and the centre of lift is almost exactly the centre of mass so no added dihedral is required. With a wing though due to the lesser mass as well as the short coupled nature of the control surfaces they are rather responsive to control inputs. The biggest failure for newbies is to add too much deflection or inadequate expo and then overcontrol it all of the way to the impact point!

With my wings I find that even in the strongest of winds they can maintain a flat and level attitude with some serious side to side wobbles due to wind gusts. I introduce all of my students to the KFM wings I build and they all have great fun and often request one for themselves due to their sweet and responsive handling combined with the fact that when setup properly they cannot be stalled EVER in level flight. They make learning to land so much less stressful!

Have fun!