basslord1124 RC flight and Flitetest journey/diary - Perkyplanes & RC

basslord1124

Master member
All right, so let me bring things up to speed....

To add to my long list of projects, I am now knee deep into the FT Edge courtesy of @mayan and my stubbornness and love for this hobby. I couldn't say no! If I die before the Edge is completed, it will be considered "unfinished business" and then I will proceed to haunt him. :devilish::p:D All in good fun!

Eh the Edge was going to be tackled at some point anyways, what better time than now. ;)

The Edge thread is here:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/at-the-edge-of-the-world-we-meet.59425/

The only major thing left on the Profile Plane before balancing and the maiden is installing the aileron servo and linkages. I got the rudder linkage installed as well as foamboard reinforcements for the tail. Even after the reinforcements, the tail still has some flex. I think I will just add a pushrod wire to the bottom of the fuse OR a small wood dowel. Just something that is lightweight that has some strength.

The Duck still needs her repairs. I have a theory on the Duck that I haven't mentioned. When I flew it this last time I felt like she needed more trim than she did prior to the paintjob. I do know the plane sat untouched for quite some time in both hot and cold temps. I wonder if the heat loosened some of the glue. This is why I decided to try Titebond on the new Edge build. Regardless of this though, I will continue flying the Duck until she retires.

An update to the club situation... I went to our RC club this past weekend. Paid my dues and watched/recorded some races on our new RC dirt track. Youtube video coming soon for that. It was good to catch up with some of the guys, didn't fly anything as I really wanted to see the new track. My wife and daughter came along too which actually surprised me. I figured the heat and the lack of interest would keep them away. We stayed for a couple hours. Hoping next time I am out at the field I'll have some things to fly.

mayan

Legendary member
If I die before the Edge is completed, it will be considered "unfinished business" and then I will proceed to haunt him. :devilish::p:D All in good fun!
Except my Edge to chase you around before you get to me :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Happy to hear about the club again it seems to me like it was just a feeling. Pity though that you didn’t take anything to fly with you :(.

basslord1124

Master member
That’s really cool :)

It was pretty neat. They are making a regular thing out of it too at the club. So about every weekend they are going to have races. While my passion is more into planes, I still wouldn't mind having an RC car to use on those days I can't fly. Not a huge priority but I may keep an eye out for a used RC car to mess around with.

Just put up a new video about the FT Edge build:

Nothing much else going on...just been focusing more on the Edge build. I may try and finish up my profile plane this week as well. I was almost pondering a yellow/black "bumblebee" color scheme on the Edge...I think it'd look cool and be different.

mayan

Legendary member
It was pretty neat. They are making a regular thing out of it too at the club. So about every weekend they are going to have races. While my passion is more into planes, I still wouldn't mind having an RC car to use on those days I can't fly. Not a huge priority but I may keep an eye out for a used RC car to mess around with.

Just put up a new video about the FT Edge build:

Nothing much else going on...just been focusing more on the Edge build. I may try and finish up my profile plane this week as well. I was almost pondering a yellow/black "bumblebee" color scheme on the Edge...I think it'd look cool and be different.
Hey buddy great job on the video and build so far I am posting my comments on this on the Edge joined build thread so others can learn from it and also beware of this video.

basslord1124

Master member
Managed to take the Bloody Baron back out for a flight. Did good, no crashes into trees this time OR broken props. :) I'm really digging the Baron. Got video of the flight so it will be uploaded here soon.

Thinking of doing a Dexter blood spatter color scheme on the Bloody Baron. My wife and I both love the series Dexter...wish they would've kept it going. :)

basslord1124

Master member
Well to say it was a crazy weekend would be an understatement. Lots of family/personal stuff and not a whole lot of "plane" stuff. I feel like I survived though...barely!

I did manage to basically get my profile plane to the almost complete stage. Here's a link to a thread where I first brought up the profile plane:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ftfc19-build-ruary-by-basslord1124.57300/post-454651

Not sure if it's life, intimidation, or what...but I have sort of put this plane off. Well I figured it was time to get the ball rolling with this one. Basically I installed my aileron servo and got the linkages hooked up. Also installed my receiver and got the wires hooked up. Next things on the list are:

-Hook up ESC wires to motor and check motor direction
-Put battery on and test balance and find ideal battery location
-Program in my dual rates...really considering 3 rates for this thing b/c I don't know how sensitive it is going to be!
-Put on prop and go!

Gonna probably use my 1000Mah 3S lipo on it. Not sure how much juice that will get me, but I figure it'll be light enough and give me some flight time to test her out. Not necessarily going for speed for this plane.

Funny thing to with the profile plane...while fixing up the aileron linkages, I managed to get some loctite blue on my fingers and that in turn transferred over to the foamboard. So there's a few blue fingerprints on the plane. Maybe it's a sign that it's color will be blue. :)

mayan

Legendary member
Well to say it was a crazy weekend would be an understatement. Lots of family/personal stuff and not a whole lot of "plane" stuff. I feel like I survived though...barely!

I did manage to basically get my profile plane to the almost complete stage. Here's a link to a thread where I first brought up the profile plane:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ftfc19-build-ruary-by-basslord1124.57300/post-454651

Not sure if it's life, intimidation, or what...but I have sort of put this plane off. Well I figured it was time to get the ball rolling with this one. Basically I installed my aileron servo and got the linkages hooked up. Also installed my receiver and got the wires hooked up. Next things on the list are:

-Hook up ESC wires to motor and check motor direction
-Put battery on and test balance and find ideal battery location
-Program in my dual rates...really considering 3 rates for this thing b/c I don't know how sensitive it is going to be!
-Put on prop and go!

Gonna probably use my 1000Mah 3S lipo on it. Not sure how much juice that will get me, but I figure it'll be light enough and give me some flight time to test her out. Not necessarily going for speed for this plane.

Funny thing to with the profile plane...while fixing up the aileron linkages, I managed to get some loctite blue on my fingers and that in turn transferred over to the foamboard. So there's a few blue fingerprints on the plane. Maybe it's a sign that it's color will be blue. :)
Wow sounds like you’ve been head over heals this week. Just a thought no mater what color you go with leave the finger prints visible :).

basslord1124

Master member
Well profile plane went up and went down today. Some before and after shots:

profile-plane1.jpg

crash-nose-1.JPG

The nose flops around very easily now. Video will be coming soon. The plane is sorta based off an RCGroups design and downsized a little bit to fit on foamboard. It took 1 sheet for the wing and 1 sheet for the fuse to make the plane. Figure I will just trace the fuse on a new sheet and cut it out.

I kinda think it was tail heavy as it didn't matter how much elevator I gave it, she was coming down. I programmed in 3 different rates b/c I just wasn't sure how sensitive the plane was gonna be...they were 30%, 50%, and 70%. I had it on 50% for the quick 5 second flight which was actually quite a bit of throw.

Not too bummed as it was sort of a very loose design PLUS it's not at all difficult to build. It was kind of a fun and exhilarating 5 seconds lol.

basslord1124

Master member
Just got the video up...

I appreciate any thoughts on troubleshooting the plane with me. First I thought it was elevator trim related (I was pulling full back on the elevator stick)...but after pondering it over, I do think the plane was tail heavy.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just got the video up...

I appreciate any thoughts on troubleshooting the plane with me. First I thought it was elevator trim related (I was pulling full back on the elevator stick)...but after pondering it over, I do think the plane was tail heavy.
Nice first effort!
There is no rule about what you must do for a profile plane and for 3D it seems that you have all of the elements. For the nose weakness and the tail heavy condition I could offer a suggestion, or two? Make the nose of the plane a open box, (open front and rear), and in the front of the box fit your powerpod, (a mini sized powerpod?), and in the rear of the box, the battery.

In addition you could bring the tail servos back to near the wing centre or trailing edge and run "Pull/Pull" setups to drive the control surfaces!

If still a little too flexible or weak you could "Paint" the fuselage wing saddle area and the nose with a coat of PVA, (White glue) which when dry will make the FB very rigid, (and a little brittle).

Have fun!

basslord1124

Master member
Thanks for the tips @Hai-Lee. I'm kinda wishing I would've used a full length reinforcement wire/CF wire on the fuse. The plane I based this from and converted to foamboard had wire going the full length of the fuse and full length of the wing. I had wire on the wing and not the fuse. At this stage, I just want to fly it as a normal sport flyer and then slowly progress into 3D (never done 3D before). I do think I am going to move the tail servos up a little closer to the wing. For a wing shape like this one, I wasn't sure of the best place to balance it...at one point it was extremely tail heavy, and just moving my fingers every so slightly, it was a touch nose down.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Thanks for the tips @Hai-Lee. I'm kinda wishing I would've used a full length reinforcement wire/CF wire on the fuse. The plane I based this from and converted to foamboard had wire going the full length of the fuse and full length of the wing. I had wire on the wing and not the fuse. At this stage, I just want to fly it as a normal sport flyer and then slowly progress into 3D (never done 3D before). I do think I am going to move the tail servos up a little closer to the wing. For a wing shape like this one, I wasn't sure of the best place to balance it...at one point it was extremely tail heavy, and just moving my fingers every so slightly, it was a touch nose down.
If you find the fuselage a little too flexible , (flexes sideways), you can add a reinforcing piece along the sides of the fuselage, (a profile when looking down form the top of the bird. It does not need to have the paper attached for its effect to be really noticeable.

Have fun!