basslord1124 RC flight and Flitetest journey/diary - Perkyplanes & RC

Wildthing

Legendary member
I tried it @mayan and even removed some excess paper...it still goes past the foamboard.

You can see here that the right side goes past the foamboard as does the nose (even though the paper is folded up a tad).

This is off a work printer...tempted to try other printers and other printer settings.

What is the WS on your plane/plans ?

basslord1124

Master member
Well I tried it again @mayan with your reposition suggestion but still no luck. Here is the end result:

wing plan reposition.jpg

Still seems to have about an inch or 2 overhang. I even cut most of the excess paper off (especially from the leading edge) and tried it on a different printer with no additional settings. It still came up 12 total sheets but only 9-10 were used for the wing itself. Despite the 12 sheets, 2 are actually blank pages.

Are you and @Hai-Lee using just regular Adams Readi-Board 20" x 30" ? I'm just at a loss. Only thing I can think of, is shrink it down just a small amount to make it fit.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Well I tried it again @mayan with your reposition suggestion but still no luck. Here is the end result:

View attachment 140317

Still seems to have about an inch or 2 overhang. I even cut most of the excess paper off (especially from the leading edge) and tried it on a different printer with no additional settings. It still came up 12 total sheets but only 9-10 were used for the wing itself. Despite the 12 sheets, 2 are actually blank pages.

Are you and @Hai-Lee using just regular Adams Readi-Board 20" x 30" ? I'm just at a loss. Only thing I can think of, is shrink it down just a small amount to make it fit.
I had to print mine at 95% to get it to fit on a single sheet of foam.

Wildthing

Legendary member

View attachment 140317

If on your plans the wing span is 795mm and your sheet of redi board is only 20x30" it will never fit at any angle. Scale your plans down to 95% and reprint them, you should be right around 755mm WS which is just a hair under 30"

mayan

Legendary member
If on your plans the wing span is 795mm and your sheet of redi board is only 20x30" it will never fit at any angle. Scale your plans down to 95% and reprint them, you should be right around 755mm WS which is just a hair under 30"
+1.

@basslord1124 i don’t know what size sheet I have can check when I get back from from the camping trip with the family.

basslord1124

Master member
Thanks guys...I thought for sure you all were doing it at 100%, didn't realize you all had to scale down too.

I must say, I feel a little recharged. I'll be releasing a video soon regarding this "recharging" once I get it edited. But basically I think that with being perhaps a little too focused on the Edge build (I feel I was), the never ending "always on the move" of our day to day family/personal life (and with a preemie 18 month old), and the intense heat we've had over the past few days...I just felt "blah" and sort of burned out. Anybody else ever experience that?

Since the Edge is almost near completion, minus landing gear and servos, I've decided to not focus on just 1 build this time. But instead, to open the door to begin a bunch of different builds. Just a way to keep it lively and interesting for me. And also on builds that are a little simpler than the Edge. Maybe I sort of missed a nice simple build.

But anyways, just with these goals I feel more rejuvenated now even though I've barely started. So hoping things continue on without the "blah".

basslord1124

Master member
Here's the "blah" video I was talking about...

I did get the KFM wing shrunk down to 95% and that gave me just enough clearance for foamboard. No joke, I may have a few millimeters left as far as room. Got the bottom layer cut this morning, Next layers soon to follow. I will be posting some progress here and possibly some progress in another thread (unsure if I want to create my own thread OR find a big thread on the wing to contribute to).

Speaking of threads, here is a new thread I created on my Speedy mini Scout build:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...d-racer-perkyplanes-basslord1124-style.60012/

I also had an incident where my hot glue gun bit the dust, so that has sort of slowed me down a little. While I have really started utilizing wood glue more, I still use hot glue sometimes.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Here's the "blah" video I was talking about...

I did get the KFM wing shrunk down to 95% and that gave me just enough clearance for foamboard. No joke, I may have a few millimeters left as far as room. Got the bottom layer cut this morning, Next layers soon to follow. I will be posting some progress here and possibly some progress in another thread (unsure if I want to create my own thread OR find a big thread on the wing to contribute to).

Speaking of threads, here is a new thread I created on my Speedy mini Scout build:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...d-racer-perkyplanes-basslord1124-style.60012/

I also had an incident where my hot glue gun bit the dust, so that has sort of slowed me down a little. While I have really started utilizing wood glue more, I still use hot glue sometimes.
Just a thought, and I am just speaking from MY own experience with a case of the "Blah's", maybe you are taking on to many projects at once and haven't seen much progress on any particular one. Maybe down shift a bit and focus on one at a time. Maybe in finishing one project it helps to influence others you may have on the go or want to start. That's one of the inherent evils of the forum, you see so much that you want to do but can't find the time, money or effort to have it all. Maybe just get out and fly the hell out of what you already have and push your skill limits to progress in that direction. Start wrecking some planes to hone those skills and create new goals for yourself. I see you are starting to work your way out of the slump, just get out and have fun, use it as a distraction. It helps me at times, and really that's a good way to improve your mentality on so many levels. Just lookin out for ya bro

basslord1124

Master member
Just a thought, and I am just speaking from MY own experience with a case of the "Blah's", maybe you are taking on to many projects at once and haven't seen much progress on any particular one. Maybe down shift a bit and focus on one at a time. Maybe in finishing one project it helps to influence others you may have on the go or want to start. That's one of the inherent evils of the forum, you see so much that you want to do but can't find the time, money or effort to have it all. Maybe just get out and fly the hell out of what you already have and push your skill limits to progress in that direction. Start wrecking some planes to hone those skills and create new goals for yourself. I see you are starting to work your way out of the slump, just get out and have fun, use it as a distraction. It helps me at times, and really that's a good way to improve your mentality on so many levels. Just lookin out for ya bro

Thanks so much @BATTLEAXE for the reply...I totally get where you are coming from.

I do think the forums are very evil for influencing one to try everything. I'm very guilty of wanting to try it all, of course, not just from the forums...but from Flitetest in general! They release a new plane I just want to try it. Man our hobby is a bad addiction isn't it? :eek:

Honestly, I do think I enjoy having multiple projects going on at once...crazy as that sounds. Just gives me something different to look at every time. Plus sometimes it's good to take a few days off of a build if you run into a brick wall or something. I kinda feel like I was too focused on the Edge and really tried to push myself hard on getting it ready...especially with it being one of the more complex builds I have done. And it was just a super busy time around the household. I generally do builds slower than the average builder here...at least from what I've seen. Maybe once my daughter gets a little older, my free time may open up a bit more and I can churn a build out a little quicker.

My focus right now is back on more than 1 project. I'll be revisiting some old ones that need some last minute things while introducing some new stuff. So it's kind of the best of both worlds.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks so much @BATTLEAXE for the reply...I totally get where you are coming from.

I do think the forums are very evil for influencing one to try everything. I'm very guilty of wanting to try it all, of course, not just from the forums...but from Flitetest in general! They release a new plane I just want to try it. Man our hobby is a bad addiction isn't it? :eek:

Honestly, I do think I enjoy having multiple projects going on at once...crazy as that sounds. Just gives me something different to look at every time. Plus sometimes it's good to take a few days off of a build if you run into a brick wall or something. I kinda feel like I was too focused on the Edge and really tried to push myself hard on getting it ready...especially with it being one of the more complex builds I have done. And it was just a super busy time around the household. I generally do builds slower than the average builder here...at least from what I've seen. Maybe once my daughter gets a little older, my free time may open up a bit more and I can churn a build out a little quicker.

My focus right now is back on more than 1 project. I'll be revisiting some old ones that need some last minute things while introducing some new stuff. So it's kind of the best of both worlds.
I have a daughter as well, she is 11. How old is yours?

Vimana89

Legendary member
Things haven't gotten quite as "blah" for me but I know exactly what you are talking about. I have made a lot of RET planes so I've been doing some more stuff with ailerons to grow and expand, but none of them have been terribly successful or fun to fly, so sometimes I drop back to quick RET builds, but try something slightly new every time, and I think as you are finding, trying something new from time to time is the key to not getting burnt out.

I tried a scaled up(over 40" long) version of my normal RET V Sliver with the same motor to try a larger plane(that is still easy to store and hand launch). It gave me a chance to develop a custom KFM that works with the funky slender shape, looks cool, and is very easy, not to mention serves to fuse and reinforce the extended two piece wing. The result flies pretty good(except no extreme high alpha), but could use bigger control surfaces and a more powerful power plant to regain the high alpha and excess thrust of the smaller model.

I look forward to see all the planes you end up building! The KFM wing seems to be a solid and popular choice, and seeing so many people try that one lately got me thinking on how to work with the KFM concept.

Attachments

• IMG_1057.JPG
    IMG_1057.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1058.JPG
    IMG_1058.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1060.JPG
    IMG_1060.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1061.JPG
    IMG_1061.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1054.JPG
    IMG_1054.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
@basslord1124 I hear ya. I actually tend to agree with @BATTLEAXE about to many projects and not getting anything completed. If you read my diaries you've probably seen that I had a few times that I felt the same. I've come to see that sometimes I get the blah feeling just because I am busy building things that didn't fly well and solve it by flying something I know that flys well already.

Kids are a job by themselves and don't get easier, might give you more time go out and fly but less quite building time :).

Vimana89

Legendary member
@basslord1124 I hear ya. I actually tend to agree with @BATTLEAXE about to many projects and not getting anything completed. If you read my diaries you've probably seen that I had a few times that I felt the same. I've come to see that sometimes I get the blah feeling just because I am busy building things that didn't fly well and solve it by flying something I know that flys well already.

Kids are a job by themselves and don't get easier, might give you more time go out and fly but less quite building time :).
This is good advice. You should keep it fresh and challenge yourself, but when the next level is giving you too much trouble for too long and your not happy with the way things are going, it can be fun to drop back to something easy and familiar...but maybe change one or two small things and use a familiar design to test something new. When I built that second RET slender delta to take a break from all the trouble with ailerons and stuff, I tested a larger size and different wing construction, so it was still progress too.

basslord1124

Master member
Cool design there @Vimana89 ...reminds me of the Star Destroyer. I find that even with ailerons the rudder doesn't get used very much. I think that a good stepping stone into ailerons is going with a design that still has a little bit of dihedral in the wings...say like a T28 or something. Now I know you do your own designs but you can use that as a basis to create something. Then gradually do away with dihedral when you are comfortable. And I'm like you too in the sense of sometimes falling back to RET. For a good slow and easy warmup I like a good RET. One of the planes I'm sort of resurrecting is an RET. :)

@mayan .... yeah I'm not gonna focus as much on things that don't fly well. If I can't get anything going after a few attempts then I will hang it up. Granted I can still revisit it later if I want to. I have pretty much hung up my Long EZ, Super Bee, and Profile Plane for now. I think I am a little ADHD (never been diagnosed, but I bet I am lol)...new plane suggestions get me distracted from my current projects. In the end though, my goal is to finish up some of these old projects while starting some new ones. I don't anticipate to rush the new ones or anything (shoot, you know it takes me a while to finish a build!). In fact, I figure the new ones, maybe some of them, will be good winter projects.

And yeah, I save my building time for when everyone's asleep...either late nite or early morning.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Cool design there @Vimana89 ...reminds me of the Star Destroyer. I find that even with ailerons the rudder doesn't get used very much. I think that a good stepping stone into ailerons is going with a design that still has a little bit of dihedral in the wings...say like a T28 or something. Now I know you do your own designs but you can use that as a basis to create something. Then gradually do away with dihedral when you are comfortable. And I'm like you too in the sense of sometimes falling back to RET. For a good slow and easy warmup I like a good RET. One of the planes I'm sort of resurrecting is an RET. :)

@mayan .... yeah I'm not gonna focus as much on things that don't fly well. If I can't get anything going after a few attempts then I will hang it up. Granted I can still revisit it later if I want to. I have pretty much hung up my Long EZ, Super Bee, and Profile Plane for now. I think I am a little ADHD (never been diagnosed, but I bet I am lol)...new plane suggestions get me distracted from my current projects. In the end though, my goal is to finish up some of these old projects while starting some new ones. I don't anticipate to rush the new ones or anything (shoot, you know it takes me a while to finish a build!). In fact, I figure the new ones, maybe some of them, will be good winter projects.

And yeah, I save my building time for when everyone's asleep...either late nite or early morning.
Something warbird style or more conventional like that with just a very slight dihedral might be a good approach for my next shot at ailerons, I'll keep that in mind. Yeah, the big Sliver is a bit like the giant star destroyer! The reason they got that up so easy is because it's a huge slender delta. Nail the CG(or even get close, it's somewhat forgiving) and it will definitely fly, no space drive necessary👍. I'm a bit ADHD as well. Sometimes when doing newer more challenging stuff, it's good to have some simple builds going on at the same time.

basslord1124

Master member
20 months is such a adorable age. Kids are a blessing my friend, you are so lucky to have her with you after being born premature. Spoil the hell out of her buddy... your next co pilot in waiting lol

Oh I know it...the amount of issues were minimal compared to what I hear from others. She came home on oxygen. After a few months at home, she no longer needed oxygen support. She apparently showed some slight seizure activity while in the NICU but we really haven't seen any indications since. And aside from that, just getting her motor skills up to speed. She's not walking yet but looks like she could any day now. Here's a pic of her back in April at church.

sadie_church.jpg