basslord1124 RC flight and Flitetest journey/diary - Perkyplanes & RC

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Oh I know it...the amount of issues were minimal compared to what I hear from others. She came home on oxygen. After a few months at home, she no longer needed oxygen support. She apparently showed some slight seizure activity while in the NICU but we really haven't seen any indications since. And aside from that, just getting her motor skills up to speed. She's not walking yet but looks like she could any day now. Here's a pic of her back in April at church.

View attachment 140777
Cute smile, if she grew a beard she could be your twin lol

basslord1124

Master member
It sounds like @BATTLEAXE is saying I have a cute smile. :p:D I dunno how cute it's going to be...I'm going to be having some teeth removed soon. 2 wisdom teeth (still got em), and another back one that's pretty bad off. After those, I will have had a total of 5 teeth removed...3 of which are wisdom teeth.

Hoping my daughter takes good care of her teeth and smile. Daddy hasn't been the greatest at it.

Well got good and bad news.

Bad news first...our house is infested with fleas at the moment. Got 3 cats that are all indoor. Each year around this time we tend to pick up some fleas, but this year seems to be the worst. We tended to do some DIY treatments for fleas in the past, but where they are worse this year AND have bitten our daughter some...it's time to get serious. They seem to especially like our larger gray cat (20-25 lbs) who unfortunately has a thick undercoat. So we are going to get all the cats on an actual flea treatment and flea bomb the entire house. I'm assuming foamboard plans won't be affected by the flea bomb chemicals. Had to take some savings money out to do this. I have pondered if we should get rid of the cat(s) since our daughter still requires a lot of our attention right now...she is not walking, potty trained, etc. The cats generally get locked away at night as well as being locked away while we are gone.

Since the house is infested, we are staying at my wife's parents house and there's a lot of family stuff planned for the weekend. Doubt I'll get much flying time but I did bring some plane supplies/tools with me to keep me occupied during any downtime. It's a chore packing your supplies/planes! I figure probably at night when everybody is winding down, I'll tackle some things. So that's definitely a good thing!

Some other good news...got my glue gun back...well, a new one that is:

glue gun new.jpg

It's the same model as my previous one. I figure since I am starting to use more wood glue, I didn't see a reason to go too crazy with the new glue gun. This one works just fine. FYI...if you have a Joann Fabric in your area, go there for your glue guns. They have coupons all the time for different things. This was a $10 glue gun that I got for $6 thanks to a coupon.

basslord1124

Master member
So been a good quite a few days since the last update...and well despite the lack of posts/activity, things have been moving. Some things have been moving more than others. As of right now, I've been focusing on 2 projects...the KFM Wing and Mini Scout v2.

kfm wing w servo.jpg

new scoutv2.jpg

The KFM Wing sorta scares me (lawn dart fear) and the Scout I'm pretty excited for. Here are threads I've also created for each as well:

Mini Scout v2 Speed Racer
My KFM Flying Wing

I'll be putting major updates on these threads.

I have plans to perhaps take a day off soon and work on my plane projects big time. No distractions, aside from the cats. Just me and the planes.

While most of my projects have been listed here and if you read and follow you probably know them. I actually have a sort of "secret project" lined up. Which I may begin probably shortly after the KFM Wing and Scout. Once I put it out on youtube then everyone will know what it is.

Something I have sorta wondered about with folks here on the forum is I generally hope that no one gets annoyed with my turtle-like speed on these builds. I think a part of me would like to churn these builds/planes out faster but things in life prevent me from doing it...cost, time, the baby, myself, etc. Sometimes I am super anal and I check, double and triple check things before I move on. But that is one thing I have noticed about our hobby...I have seen people churn out planes like an assembly line and some are like me with a basement full of half complete builds. I suppose we're all a little crazy with this hobby in some form or another!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So been a good quite a few days since the last update...and well despite the lack of posts/activity, things have been moving. Some things have been moving more than others. As of right now, I've been focusing on 2 projects...the KFM Wing and Mini Scout v2.

View attachment 141524

View attachment 141525

The KFM Wing sorta scares me (lawn dart fear) and the Scout I'm pretty excited for. Here are threads I've also created for each as well:

My KFM Flying Wing

I have plans to perhaps take a day off soon and work on my plane projects big time. No distractions, aside from the cats. Just me and the planes.

While most of my projects have been listed here and if you read and follow you probably know them. I actually have a sort of "secret project" lined up. Which I may begin probably shortly after the KFM Wing and Scout. Once I put it out on youtube then everyone will know what it is.

Something I have sorta wondered about with folks here on the forum is I generally hope that no one gets annoyed with my turtle-like speed on these builds. I think a part of me would like to churn these builds/planes out faster but things in life prevent me from doing it...cost, time, the baby, myself, etc. Sometimes I am super anal and I check, double and triple check things before I move on. But that is one thing I have noticed about our hobby...I have seen people churn out planes like an assembly line and some are like me with a basement full of half complete builds. I suppose we're all a little crazy with this hobby in some form or another!
You do what u got to man. This is JUST a hobby. There are enough people pumping out planes to fill in the gaps sorta speak, (myself for one). As long as you are moving forward you will win the race.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

View attachment 141524

View attachment 141525

My KFM Flying Wing

Yes you may "Lawn Dart" the KFM Wing but it is more likely to bounce than almost any other plane you could imagine! If your build is reasonable and you have the CG correct it will just fly!
My first version left my hand "Flat and Level", whereas I was expecting a real wrestling match. It just flew!! I did have to be a little gentle on the controls until I got a little used to its handling but it was my introduction to "Wings" and now I actually prefer wings to the conventional planes. 2 Servos, great agility, NO STALL, wide speed range, less transport room required, the list of advantages goes on and on! Almost everyone at my local club has one and they fly them quite well, (including novices and some otherwise really crappy pilots!

Just do it and you may be pleasantly surprised!

have fun!

basslord1124

Master member
Got a new video up...just an intro to the KFM wing

I also just finished putting an XT60 connector on the ESC I will be using for the KFM wing.

I know this has been brought up before amongst other forum members, but I sat down and watched one of the latest FT episodes. The one where they made just the large B52 wing fly by itself. I don't watch the episodes like I used to, but I try and keep up with them. I found the video pretty fun and entertaining. While I do miss and love the old cast (Josh Scott, David the Swede, Peter Sripol, etc), I think the new cast does well. The only thing that kinda bugged me, was the episode contained a total of 4 ads PLUS the usual FT endorsed ad. I thought 4 was pretty extreme...maybe if it it only had 2 I wouldn't have been so bugged about it. And I know they gotta have the ads to help with finances. So by all means, I understand why it is they do it...I just thought 4 for that episode was a little much.

Since getting my glue gun back, I have been resuming on some projects that were sort of stalled. One of these was the FT Spitfire. I've got a speed build kit of it that I have had since Christmas. Pretty much got the wings about finished now. You can see the update on the Spit thread:

SPIT roasted FB

Aside from that, nothing much else going on. Glad to be back posting videos again and building once again. Since the weather may be starting to cool down a little, hoping to be getting some flying in as well. :)

mayan

Legendary member
Got a new video up...just an intro to the KFM wing

I also just finished putting an XT60 connector on the ESC I will be using for the KFM wing.

I know this has been brought up before amongst other forum members, but I sat down and watched one of the latest FT episodes. The one where they made just the large B52 wing fly by itself. I don't watch the episodes like I used to, but I try and keep up with them. I found the video pretty fun and entertaining. While I do miss and love the old cast (Josh Scott, David the Swede, Peter Sripol, etc), I think the new cast does well. The only thing that kinda bugged me, was the episode contained a total of 4 ads PLUS the usual FT endorsed ad. I thought 4 was pretty extreme...maybe if it it only had 2 I wouldn't have been so bugged about it. And I know they gotta have the ads to help with finances. So by all means, I understand why it is they do it...I just thought 4 for that episode was a little much.

Since getting my glue gun back, I have been resuming on some projects that were sort of stalled. One of these was the FT Spitfire. I've got a speed build kit of it that I have had since Christmas. Pretty much got the wings about finished now. You can see the update on the Spit thread:

SPIT roasted FB

Aside from that, nothing much else going on. Glad to be back posting videos again and building once again. Since the weather may be starting to cool down a little, hoping to be getting some flying in as well. :)
KFM is a wing style build you are right about that. @BATTLEAXE has a thread about the different airfoils styles, can’t remember its name.

About launching the wing triple check CG tiny bit nose heavy! Then there are a million ways to launch a wing and IB Crazy has a video about it, I’ll try to find the link for you. What I do and works for me because it’s kinda like how @Jimun hand launches his planes :). I throttle up to about 75% throttle make sure the wing wants to jump out of my hand then add half down elevator and let go, then level out and gain altitude.

BTW I also think a wing is a good step in to a jet.

Other than that I love the video :)!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Just watched your video and it gives me inspiration to build another Scout of the standard size, speed wing, AET, kinda style. Actually i need a winter plane and this idea could be one of them

basslord1124

Master member
Glad my video inspired you @mayan and @BATTLEAXE ! :) I just love how these FT models are so easy to modify to suit your own preferences. The Scout really is a good platform for mods...and you could build a mini version in an evening. I may try a standard size one someday. I'd be interested to see what you guys come up with when you do the Scout.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Glad my video inspired you @mayan and @BATTLEAXE ! :) I just love how these FT models are so easy to modify to suit your own preferences. The Scout really is a good platform for mods...and you could build a mini version in an evening. I may try a standard size one someday. I'd be interested to see what you guys come up with when you do the Scout.
I have some ideas I will post up on my Scout thread, and do the build there as well. I have room in the hangar for a pusher so I am thinking of doing the FT-22, with a C pack first. That will be heavily modified and I will open a new thread on that one. Thanks for the inspiration

Just reorganizing the garage to make a designated area for planes that will be more user friendly, will post pics of that too. Later buddy

basslord1124

Master member
Just designated a thread for my ever growing/changing list of plane projects. Here is the link to the thread...

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...plane-project-list-and-other-resources.60357/

And the list will always be linked in my signature as well.

I had seen some others here do this. I'd sorta fall behind with updating my list in my signature PLUS I'm only limited to so many characters in my signature. So, thought this would be a good approach to that AND to help keep me on track too of my projects.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Just designated a thread for my ever growing/changing list of plane projects. Here is the link to the thread...

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...plane-project-list-and-other-resources.60357/

And the list will always be linked in my signature as well.

I had seen some others here do this. I'd sorta fall behind with updating my list in my signature PLUS I'm only limited to so many characters in my signature. So, thought this would be a good approach to that AND to help keep me on track too of my projects.
I gotta figure out how to do that