basslord1124 RC flight and Flitetest journey/diary - Perkyplanes & RC

basslord1124

Master member
Ah....at the top of the forum, click your Name, and then click Signature. Once there, just click the Link button.
forum_signature_link.JPG

Copy and paste the URL/web address to whatever it is you wanting to link to in the URL box. And type in the name you want to give the link in the Text field (this is what will display on the screen).

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Ah....at the top of the forum, click your Name, and then click Signature. Once there, just click the Link button. View attachment 143080

Copy and paste the URL/web address to whatever it is you wanting to link to in the URL box. And type in the name you want to give the link in the Text field (this is what will display on the screen).
Well I wouldn't have figured that on my own, thank you sir.

Have you checked out my FT-22 build thread yet?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Hey no prob...glad it helped. I see you have added stuff to it. That's awesome! :D

Nope haven't checked out the FT-22 build thread yet. New build threads are a bad idea for me. Causes me to dig my hole deeper lol.
How often do you get to fly? Seems like you build more then you fly, plus life taking a lot of attention, keeps you grounded. You could be flying and crashing some of the models you do have more to thin out the herd so you have an excuse to build new models, no?

basslord1124

Master member
How often do you get to fly? Seems like you build more then you fly, plus life taking a lot of attention, keeps you grounded. You could be flying and crashing some of the models you do have more to thin out the herd so you have an excuse to build new models, no?

I'm sure I have confessed that I like to build moreso than fly sometimes.

As for frequency of flying...well there's no real definite number there. I know I don't like to fly as much in the extreme heat. When I first started with a Hobbyzone Champ, my lunchbreak almost every day I was going out and flying. BUT, the Champ begun to get boring to me. Seems like after that, a bunch of stuff happened...wife pregnant, baby, baby activities, baby doctor appointments/NICU, wife was sick and had plenty of appointments too, etc. When our baby was born, my weekly schedule was work Monday through Friday til 5pm, then immediately head to the hospital til 11:30pm-12 that night. That period last over 3 months. I wasn't even thinking about planes then. This has been a tough year with my wife being sick too that my flying average is about once or twice a month.

Thin out my herd? No...more is better lol. I can't say that I want to be one of those crazy guys who has over 100 planes but I do want to maintain a decent collection of them. I am thankful for Flitetest for showing me the ways to make a bunch of airframes for very little change. Because I'd probably be bankrupt if I bought 20-30 planes from Horizon Hobby. I enjoy doing Flitetest builds or rescuing someone's old trashed foamy/balsa plane and trying to fix them back up.

basslord1124

Master member
Oh, another non-plane update...

From my previous posts, we have been dealing with a flea problem at our house and been spending time at the in-laws house. Well we got our cats some of those Seresto flea collars (a highly recommended high price collar) to start getting them cleared up. Well our female cat must not have responded too well to the collar. The first day she became very lethargic and could hardly walk. Removed the collar, washed her a little, and set her next to her own bowl of food and water (which she did eat and drink). Regardless of this, she passed away over the weekend. :cry: I guess the collar was too much for her.

basslord1124

Master member
Well had a few more things happen since the last update.

First, we buried our cat on Tuesday. It seems that each day passes I am doing better. Monday was rough, Tuesday was so so, today is better. Death is something that I don't feel I handle like other folks. I very rarely cry (I think it's the tough man thing of trying not to cry...but I have before) and I am just generally quiet for a little while. All this while my mind and heart process what I have lost. And I try to maintain an attitude of trying to keeping my mind on other things so I don't let the hurt consume me too much. I feel I am better now, but at times I do think back and miss the cat that I have lost. She was a good cat.

Well onto plane stuff here. There has been an update to the Speed Racer Mini Scout:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...kyplanes-basslord1124-style.60012/post-501464

Basically as of right now, the plane is up in a tree. Kinda bummed about it, but I'm hoping I can get it down over the course of the next week or so. Took her out for a maiden. It was kind of a squirelly flight as I'm working through the kinks. And it all ended up with me being blinded by the sun and the plane diving for the trees.

Next on the list to get some airtime are the KFM Wing and the Edge. :eek:

basslord1124

Master member
Well good news...the Mini Scout v2 has been retrieved from the tree. More info here:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...kyplanes-basslord1124-style.60012/post-501705

I made a very large stick as you see here using quarter round molding and PVC:

tree rescue stick.jpg

I haven't given the Scout a good lookover to see of its condition as once I got it down, I had to head back out to do some errands. I figure it's a simple build that I could just rebuild it. But then again, I could make it out to be the "immortal speed demon" that refuses to die and just keep patching it up. I'm assuming electronics are ok. The 3S 1000Mah battery is dead though.

I thought the rescue might take longer BUT I realized I had some tools that I could use to possibly help in the rescue. Sure enough they worked.

Got some videos in the works...from this experience as well as updates to the Edge. So those will be coming soon!

PoorManRC

Master member
GLAD you got her down!!

Again, SORRY about your Kitty! 💔 It was very hard for me too.

And I'm REALLY looking forward to the Edge!!! 😁 I STILL wish I could get someone to cut one for me, the way I need it cut... Oh well.
You seem in better spirits. That's good!!

basslord1124

Master member
Yeah it was quite the experience getting the plane down.

Thanks Carmine...yeah in better spirits in terms of the cat...however now, my daughter has went from having a fever and cold, to clearing up, to NOW having horrible spots and rashes all over her body. It's gotten to her face and eyes now. She didn't get much sleep last night as she was itching so much. Wife and mother-in-law have her at the hospital now, and they are going to keep her for a day to see if they can clear it up any. Just never ending in my household it seems! Maybe next week will be calm and semi-normal.

I do have some videos about ready. Edge build update video is up now... posted it over in the Edge thread:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/at-the-edge-of-the-world-we-meet.59425/post-501899

And here it is as well:

Got a few things to do to the Mini Scout v2 maiden video and it'll be ready. Also thinking of doing a little video on its rescue. I unfortunately didn't film the rescue but got some pics. Thought seriously about taping my little action cam to the stick but didn't want to lose it too.

basslord1124

Master member
So, I feel as if I've been lurking a little more recently and not posting near as much over this past week or so...and it looks like I'm a little behind in this thread too. I had thought of making this its own thread but figured that this is my diary thread so I will post it here even it's not FT related, but still personal. I feel as if I've made some good friendships here and don't mind to open to you all about life, problems, etc. outside of foamboard airplanes.

So our house has been hit hard this season with flea infestation. In past years we have managed it ok but it seems this year has been the worst. The continued hot dry weather hasn't helped matters either. Well certain parts of the house (we have a 3 level house (basement, main level, upstairs) would be worse than others....like the basement was the worst for example. BUT when we started noticing a few flea bites on our baby girl it was time to really get serious about clearing out these annoying pests. I still have yet to find out their purpose on this planet. Our 3 cats unfortunately were hit too...a brother and sister both around 10-11 years old and big gray male gray close to the same age. The gray cat would get it the worst due to his extremely thick coat.

So anyways, after the baby getting bit, we have been temporarily staying at the in-laws house until we could get the flea problem under control. Trying to keep the fleas away from the baby, we had to leave the cats at our flea infested house until we got it cleaned up. We asked around for recommendations on flea control on our cats. Seresto brand flea collars came up from a trusted source. I think most flea collars don't do crap for taking care of fleas but these collars were $40-$50 a pop and had a lot of high recommendations. I figure at that price and with the things they were promising (kills them in so many hours, etc), I'd give it a try. Had it not been for the high recommendations I would've just went with a topical solution like Frontline, Advantage, etc. So I took out some money early from my work's Christmas savings club to pay for the collars. I'm the only one with an income right now while my wife goes to school. So, our plan was use the collars for a little bit and then flea bomb the whole house to almost fully get rid of them.

Since our house is close to my work, I'd check on things at the house on my work days. Well after a few days of the cats having the collars on, I noticed the female cat (sister) was extremely lethargic. This really concerned me. So I removed her collar and set her up close to some food and water. This was on a Friday. Came back a few days later and she was dead. At this point, I had still managed to leave the boys collars on as I didn't notice any of the same symptoms out of them. The following week, I was also noticing that the gray cat still had fleas on him that I could see. So, it seemed like the collars weren't doing their job. My mom pitched in to help us and she paid for a professional flea treatment for our home. We had that done a little over a week after the female cat died. I had the other 2 cats in carriers outside while we let flea treatment do its thing and air out. After that, I get the boys back inside and get them situated. Noticed the brother was acting lethargic like his sister. I remove his collar AND the collar from the gray cat. I had also managed to pick up some Revolution topical for the boys instead. I did the same thing with the brother and set up some food/water near him and figured to let him rest and then the following day I would apply the Revolution. Next day, the brother was dead. I applied Revolution to the gray cat at that point. And really the gray cat hadn't been acting himself either for a few days, so I was fearing for him too. I thought after I applied the Revolution he might turn around within a day or so. Nope, next day he had died. So all 3 of our cats...gone.

We had got an extra collar for the in-laws cat b/c he had picked up fleas too. Shortly after putting his collar on, we started noticed horrible burn marks around his neck and acting a little funny. So they quickly removed it, and got him on a topical flea treatment. The past day or so, we've started noticing improvement in him.

So....I'm pretty much thinking that our 3 cats died as a result of a combination of the fleas and the collars. We have recently noticed reviews where folks say that the Seresto dog collars are fine, but the cat collars could be too strong for some cats. I kinda think the collars may have been too strong for our cats and/or the cats just didn't respond well to them. I know this was our first major pest infestation as a married couple and we tried to handle it the best we could with what resources we had. Aside from reviews, I have even seen some youtube videos of people's cats responding the same way to these flea collars. I will say after this, I am going to stay away from all flea collars. There was even talk that some out there were making counterfeits of these collars. I did check the authenticity of 1 of our collars and it checked out to be a legit collar.

So anyways, as you can see, it's been a pretty tough week and a half.

PoorManRC

Master member
OMG! That's horrible!! 😮😞
All 3? I'm so sorry. It could have been a combination of factors... Spotted Fever? Or just an overwhelming amount of bites in general - combined with that awful Collar!! 😠
I'm generally not a litigious Person... But I would seek Some kind of restitution for the loss of ALL 3 Pets!! That's obviously not random.

I'm glad your Wife and Baby girl are OK! But that's STILL a high price to pay...

As you know, we went through similar with Bed Bugs. My very first experience with the awful critters! So bad apparently that 3 of our Doctors REFUSED to see us until we cleared them! 😠😠😠 One was the Pain Clinic, so we were OFF our narcotics, Cold Turkey!!! 😖😲 That was Hell....

Well, we got rid of them. Had to sell stuff, and now I'm left with NOTHING for Planes! 😢

Pest infestations pop up in several conversations...
But until you actually have one, you'll never know how much it hurts.

The only good news on our end was that our Cat, a Maine Coon, with his triple layer fur, was impervious to Bed Bugs!
FLEAS would have been a whole other story...
I'm sorry for your loss.

Wildthing

Legendary member
So, I feel as if I've been lurking a little more recently and not posting near as much over this past week or so...and it looks like I'm a little behind in this thread too. I had thought of making this its own thread but figured that this is my diary thread so I will post it here even it's not FT related, but still personal. I feel as if I've made some good friendships here and don't mind to open to you all about life, problems, etc. outside of foamboard airplanes.

So our house has been hit hard this season with flea infestation. In past years we have managed it ok but it seems this year has been the worst. The continued hot dry weather hasn't helped matters either. Well certain parts of the house (we have a 3 level house (basement, main level, upstairs) would be worse than others....like the basement was the worst for example. BUT when we started noticing a few flea bites on our baby girl it was time to really get serious about clearing out these annoying pests. I still have yet to find out their purpose on this planet. Our 3 cats unfortunately were hit too...a brother and sister both around 10-11 years old and big gray male gray close to the same age. The gray cat would get it the worst due to his extremely thick coat.

So anyways, after the baby getting bit, we have been temporarily staying at the in-laws house until we could get the flea problem under control. Trying to keep the fleas away from the baby, we had to leave the cats at our flea infested house until we got it cleaned up. We asked around for recommendations on flea control on our cats. Seresto brand flea collars came up from a trusted source. I think most flea collars don't do crap for taking care of fleas but these collars were $40-$50 a pop and had a lot of high recommendations. I figure at that price and with the things they were promising (kills them in so many hours, etc), I'd give it a try. Had it not been for the high recommendations I would've just went with a topical solution like Frontline, Advantage, etc. So I took out some money early from my work's Christmas savings club to pay for the collars. I'm the only one with an income right now while my wife goes to school. So, our plan was use the collars for a little bit and then flea bomb the whole house to almost fully get rid of them.

Since our house is close to my work, I'd check on things at the house on my work days. Well after a few days of the cats having the collars on, I noticed the female cat (sister) was extremely lethargic. This really concerned me. So I removed her collar and set her up close to some food and water. This was on a Friday. Came back a few days later and she was dead. At this point, I had still managed to leave the boys collars on as I didn't notice any of the same symptoms out of them. The following week, I was also noticing that the gray cat still had fleas on him that I could see. So, it seemed like the collars weren't doing their job. My mom pitched in to help us and she paid for a professional flea treatment for our home. We had that done a little over a week after the female cat died. I had the other 2 cats in carriers outside while we let flea treatment do its thing and air out. After that, I get the boys back inside and get them situated. Noticed the brother was acting lethargic like his sister. I remove his collar AND the collar from the gray cat. I had also managed to pick up some Revolution topical for the boys instead. I did the same thing with the brother and set up some food/water near him and figured to let him rest and then the following day I would apply the Revolution. Next day, the brother was dead. I applied Revolution to the gray cat at that point. And really the gray cat hadn't been acting himself either for a few days, so I was fearing for him too. I thought after I applied the Revolution he might turn around within a day or so. Nope, next day he had died. So all 3 of our cats...gone.

We had got an extra collar for the in-laws cat b/c he had picked up fleas too. Shortly after putting his collar on, we started noticed horrible burn marks around his neck and acting a little funny. So they quickly removed it, and got him on a topical flea treatment. The past day or so, we've started noticing improvement in him.

So....I'm pretty much thinking that our 3 cats died as a result of a combination of the fleas and the collars. We have recently noticed reviews where folks say that the Seresto dog collars are fine, but the cat collars could be too strong for some cats. I kinda think the collars may have been too strong for our cats and/or the cats just didn't respond well to them. I know this was our first major pest infestation as a married couple and we tried to handle it the best we could with what resources we had. Aside from reviews, I have even seen some youtube videos of people's cats responding the same way to these flea collars. I will say after this, I am going to stay away from all flea collars. There was even talk that some out there were making counterfeits of these collars. I did check the authenticity of 1 of our collars and it checked out to be a legit collar.

So anyways, as you can see, it's been a pretty tough week and a half.

That is sad, sorry for your lose. Hopefully everything is on the upswing now.

basslord1124

Master member
OMG! That's horrible!! 😮😞
All 3? I'm so sorry. It could have been a combination of factors... Spotted Fever? Or just an overwhelming amount of bites in general - combined with that awful Collar!! 😠
I'm generally not a litigious Person... But I would seek Some kind of restitution for the loss of ALL 3 Pets!! That's obviously not random.

I'm glad your Wife and Baby girl are OK! But that's STILL a high price to pay...

As you know, we went through similar with Bed Bugs. My very first experience with the awful critters! So bad apparently that 3 of our Doctors REFUSED to see us until we cleared them! 😠😠😠 One was the Pain Clinic, so we were OFF our narcotics, Cold Turkey!!! 😖😲 That was Hell....

Well, we got rid of them. Had to sell stuff, and now I'm left with NOTHING for Planes! 😢

Pest infestations pop up in several conversations...
But until you actually have one, you'll never know how much it hurts.

The only good news on our end was that our Cat, a Maine Coon, with his triple layer fur, was impervious to Bed Bugs!
FLEAS would have been a whole other story...
I'm sorry for your loss.

Yup all 3. I honestly don't know...but I think it was a combination of different factors, not just the collars. Perhaps they were in much worse shape than we thought. The brother and sister don't seem to show flea infestation as badly. They'll scratch but that's all we would see. The gray cat would lose hair, have flea dirt, etc. I'm not a litigious person either...and honestly, I would consider it, but I just don't think it's worth pursuing. We don't have the money for something like that plus there are so many other things and unknowns here. Had the flea problem been under control and then we put collars on them and they died, then yeah I would definitely check into it.

You know I don't remember your story on bed bugs but regardless, I've heard they are a nightmare! Doctors shouldn't refuse though for something like that.

That is sad, sorry for your lose. Hopefully everything is on the upswing now.

Thanks so much @Wildthing . Yeah things are starting to pick back up again. Haven't got back to my planes for a little while, but hoping to get back to them here soon. Been spending a lot of time here recently cleaning.

I will probably start doing a little bit of plane maintenance today. Get back to work on the Edge and I really need to finish up the last little bits of the KFM wing. Also need to finish up the Spitfire. I won't have a lot of time b/c here on Friday, we're doing a family trip to the zoo over the weekend. It'll be our daughter's first trip to a major zoo so I'm excited to see her reactions. :)

basslord1124

Master member
Well this past weekend we took our trip to the zoo. My daughter had a fun time watching the animals. It was Halloween themed month at the zoo, so they had vendors throughout the zoo passing out candy. So we had our daughter dressed up in her costume and picking up some candy. Here is a pic of her and I before we venture deep into the zoo:

sadie_me_zoo.jpg

The temp, IMO, was perfect. It was kinda cool but sort of borderline jacket weather. In the sun, it was fine...but if you were in the shade it was kinda cool. Think it was like right at 60 degrees.

To me, this trip was more for my daughter. I really am not super interested in zoos compared to other things. Regardless though, it was just nice to get away from current chaos...both at home and the chaos known as work. So it was kinda good to be away from our current surroundings for a little bit. Made me feel a little bit rejuvenated.

Been kinda hard to get focused on plane stuff with our pest infestation right now. That's been more of my focus. It's like I have this sort of anger/drive to rid our house of these pests ever since what happened to our cats. And I definitely want these pests as far away from my daughter as possible. It's like I've been a madmen cleaning up our house. :mad::mad: Honestly though, it's getting better...slowly.

Well back to happy things :D...

I am about to start slapping on the 2nd color on the Edge. So hopefully get some pics of it soon. I haven't even touched the KFM wing, Scout, or the Spitfire in a while. I will also be releasing a new video in the next day or so. It is NOT one of my typical RC videos and not really related too much to RC (in the end it could though....you'll see what I mean). BUT, I think it could be a lot fun for those that want to watch and participate. ;):D Since my normal stuff is kinda lagging at the moment due to the other stuff going on...this might be a good fun temporary departure for a little bit while I get things back on track. Like I said, probably in the next day or 2 I'll release it and post it here. :)

PoorManRC

Master member
Since I think I told you that today is the third anniversary of losing my Daughter 😭💔💔.....

The GREAT news about your little girl gave my day a bright spot!!
I hope she had a good time there. Daddy looked pretty happy 😊

Going to YouTube in a bit.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Great vid bro, left a ? for ya, It's a good departure from the usual flight stuff just looking at my channel. I see how many subscribers you have and I am thinking there might be something to what you have going on there. I might take a page out of your book and see what I can come up with.

I love the Daddy/Daughter time, just had my little girl around last weekend and it was a blast. The zoo is the perfect place to hang out to get some quality time in as well, she looks so happy.