basslord1124 RC flight and Flitetest journey/diary - Perkyplanes & RC

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Not the Edge video, but the next video I had in line:

Thanks for the reply @Wildthing . Yeah agreed that slow and boring can be a good teacher. Gotta crawl before you can walk.

@mayan - yeah followed your advice on the linkages. And yeah considering what's it's capable of, I'm going to try and take my time with it. As for the power setup, this is what I got:

-Motor: DYS 1120KV
-ESC: 40A with a separate Turnigy BEC
-Prop: 10x5
-Battery: 3S 1600Mah
The beard is back in full force ready for summer huh!!

Sorry to hear about your flying field friend, there are no flying restrictions where he is now

basslord1124

Master member
All right, Edge video is up...

A pain in the rump to edit too b/c I was standing behind my in-laws car (which is what I drove to go fly) filming and I didn't want their license plate to be visible for the whole word to see. So, had to blur it through most of the video. Wasn't even thinking of that when I was filming.

Overall, I thought it flew good. Might turn the throws up a little next time I try it.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
All right, Edge video is up...

A pain in the rump to edit too b/c I was standing behind my in-laws car (which is what I drove to go fly) filming and I didn't want their license plate to be visible for the whole word to see. So, had to blur it through most of the video. Wasn't even thinking of that when I was filming.

Overall, I thought it flew good. Might turn the throws up a little next time I try it.
Great video and maiden man! The edge was my first 3D plane and took me many crashes for me to finally be able to fly it successfully for more than 30 seconds! Now V2 is built and I love it! You’re right about the build - challenging but very fun and satisfying!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
@BATTLEAXE are you too chicken to try it? Your rimfire motor will appreciate this plane.
Are you trying to get me to build it so i can putz around the sky like the rest of you. I can do that with a warbird. I dont really find anything appealling about the Edge other then it looks awesome. Really i have already had the FT-3D which is basically the same idea. Just a reminder i already have a 3D Scout that will do anything the Edge does. Actually it is probably better given its a smaller lighter less draggy airframe. So another 3D plane is not on the menu. Sorry ladies and germs

basslord1124

Master member
Digging this quote out from my first ever post on this thread to bring something to light...

I should mention this thread as well as RC flight in general, do serve a sense of joy/happiness, reliving a part of my child hood that never quite took off (pun intended), and a way to keep my mind/self busy. This hobby/thread ALSO serves the purpose of keeping my mind off of some personal frustrations that have been wearing on me in recent years. .....

So it's time to let the cat out of the bag on these "personal frustrations". On July 20th I will be starting a new job...and July 17th marks the final day at my current job. The frustrations are with my current place of employment. I've been wanting to leave my current job for quite a while as I've been pretty unhappy with it due to various issues. I'm not going to air my business publicly about the issues with my current job as this isn't the place to do it...and besides, we try and keep things positive around here. If anybody really wants to know, they can message me. But I've been at this old job for ALMOST 11 years and I had been working from home during the CoVid crisis. Today I am actually in the office, and it feels weird to be here...it's so quiet! BUT this is something I've been wanting to do for a while...just had to wait for that opportunity to come up. I had already sent my resignation. I am happy to leave, but I will also miss some of the folks here.

All right, lets get back to RC planes...

I have mainly been focusing on my TravelAir Mystery Ship project in recent weeks. I am doing this plane with no plans, no fancy laser cutter to cut my parts, and with no experience trying any kind of CAD software. Just using some basic blown up images/diagrams of the plane as a balsa model. I am basically converting it from a balsa model to a foamboard model. This was all part of a the classic to modern challenge (FTFC20) here on the forums that was supposed to be for FF 2020 which FF ended up being cancelled due to CoVid. Regardless of this, many are still building, flying, and completing their projects..or have already completed them. I'm just bringing up the rear with it lol. Here's a link to some of the latest updates to the project:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...ystery-ship-by-basslord1124.60278/post-579408

Hoping to have the fuse completed here soon.

Everything else has been not touched or put on hold. Haven't even flown since the Edge flight (perhaps my nerves are still recovering from it lol).

Since the club member Bob passed away (about 2 weeks ago), I've been a little unsure about talking to his wife about his planes and equipment. Just not sure when would be a good time or what...I'm sure she's had everything else going on too. Of anything, I don't want to seem needy about it...I really only would want a few things...everything else can be donated to the club or others.

Aside from that, nothing much else has been going on in terms of the plane world. It's been mainly other outside things keeping me busy.

mayan

Legendary member
Happy to hear that you finally changed jobs if that's what you wanted. About Bob's stuff, well I don't know what's the finanical situation there but maybe you could suggest a garge sale or a sale at the club, that way his wife could make a few extra bucks and his stuff will through other hobbiests :), just a thought.

basslord1124

Master member
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack!

Been a while as I am slowly adjusting to the new schedule. My work schedule is pretty standard BUT I now have the added thing of dropping our little one off and picking her up at my mom's house 3 days a week. Wife's parents are watching her the other 2 days.

Haven't had as much time to do the plane stuff over these past few weeks, little bit of work to the Mystery Ship but that's about it. I have released a new video and have some content for a few more videos down the road. Here's the latest vid on FT Corsair updates:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Glad to see you NOT looking so stressed as you have in other videos. the Job change will do wonders for you at least in the stress department.

Just my non normal thinking thoughts about the retracts on this model. I know they are not scale for the airframe but might I suggest for now you roll with them? The reason I say this is I have seen several members on the forums use the ones that rotate who ran into alignment issues when installing and then once they got over that hurdle had issues with twisting and not staying straight on harder landing sometimes striping or even breaking the wire that holds the wheels on.

The straight ones you have should be more sturdy and allow for you to "learn" the ins and outs of retractable gear as well as get more time on the airplane to become more proficient with landings that would minimize the chances for major damage on not so perfect landings.