basslord1124 RC flight and Flitetest journey/diary - Perkyplanes & RC

mayan

Legendary member
Glad to see you NOT looking so stressed as you have in other videos. the Job change will do wonders for you at least in the stress department.

Just my non normal thinking thoughts about the retracts on this model. I know they are not scale for the airframe but might I suggest for now you roll with them? The reason I say this is I have seen several members on the forums use the ones that rotate who ran into alignment issues when installing and then once they got over that hurdle had issues with twisting and not staying straight on harder landing sometimes striping or even breaking the wire that holds the wheels on.

The straight ones you have should be more sturdy and allow for you to "learn" the ins and outs of retractable gear as well as get more time on the airplane to become more proficient with landings that would minimize the chances for major damage on not so perfect landings.
I tend to agree with @PsyBorg! Learn on the simple ones then go to the complicated ones.

basslord1124

Master member
LOL, I should keep that in mind for future builds @PsyBorg . Except knowing me I wouldn't do it on a classic plane like the Corsair. I'd probably do something crazy thing like that on a Wright Brothers model, Cub, or something silly like that.

I appreciate the insight and totally understand where you guys are coming from...almost makes me wish I hadn't sold em already. BUT, I'll go ahead and suck it up and get the rotating ones like I planned. I generally have 2 ways to how I fly...

-Nice, easy, and elegantly...OR
-crashing it into something.

I'm hoping for the first one on the Corsair obviously lol. If I stay on the nice and easy path, the landing gear will probably last pretty good once I get over any little hurdles. Besides, with my schedule and family and stuff, I'm usually weeks or even months between flights sometimes. So, with that in mind too, I'll hang on to the gear for a while.

And if I crash it hard, oh well. I'll make sure it goes out with a bang lol.

Either way I'm not going to sink too much money into the rotating retracts. Just something to get me by.

On another note, I got a new video posted of progress on the Mystery Ship:

First one on the topic and more to come as I've been progressing decently with it.

basslord1124

Master member
Popping back in with another video release...it's been a while now.

This time I'm mixing up doing some mini drone flying. Something I don't really do too often.

Hope all is well here. The new schedule (new job and the kiddo) has kept me pretty busy. Once I get home, I'm ready to kick back. Weekdays I might as well forget flying any. Weekends are a better shot at that. Videos and forum posting has slowed down too (which you might have noticed). I still sort of check the forums from time to time throughout the week.

Due to the more full schedule, I haven't been working much on any planes recently. I have sorta been thinking I am due to fly some planes and take a break from building the Mystery Ship. The MS fuse is coming along pretty well and I'll work up a video on fuse updates.

Sometimes I feel like the RC pilot that goes slower than the retired guys lol. Oh well. Again, hope all is well here and that everyone is staying safe from all the CoVid crap.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
ANY stick time is good dont matter what you fly. I love that tune too. Its one of my favorite freebie you tube happy jams. Since you stayed close Ill guess that was LOS not FPV. Nice flight. I know throttle management on them tiny quads is tough as even the slightest winds effect its stability. Will keep you on your toes and fingers nimble the breezier things get right up til that one gust that blows hard enough our older eyes lose sight of the tiny things hehe. The we turn into Leonard Nimoy and go "in search of" hehe.

basslord1124

Master member
Yeah, that tune has become one of my go to songs on my channel. And yup that was LOS...hadn't flown a drone like that in a while. Fun little flight...definitely kept me on my toes.

Went to a local hobby shop today (chain store actually)...RC plane supply was extremely low. Lot of RC cars. Very little plane supplies, a few Eflite Apprentices, BUT they had a decent number of FT speed build kits. So the FT stuff was a happy surprise.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I havent noticed FT kits or gear in the walmart near me yet as that is the closest thing to a hobby shop where I am within 50 to 75 miles. They do however have a good selection of the crappiest over priced over hyped multirotors now so maybe soon I will see others out flying that I can bring to the darkside of flying REAL quads hehe.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yeah, that tune has become one of my go to songs on my channel. And yup that was LOS...hadn't flown a drone like that in a while. Fun little flight...definitely kept me on my toes.

Went to a local hobby shop today (chain store actually)...RC plane supply was extremely low. Lot of RC cars. Very little plane supplies, a few Eflite Apprentices, BUT they had a decent number of FT speed build kits. So the FT stuff was a happy surprise.
That’s awesome you have a good stock of FT stuff nearby! Is it a hobbytown USA? Mine stocks quite a bit of FT stuff.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yup, it is Hobbytown USA. They had a few power packs, and a good chuck of Speed Build Kits...Edge, Mini Corsair, Spitfire, Simple Cub. MS Corsair, and a few others.

What are in store prices vs FT online store like? Reasonable stock fee or crackhead profiteering like the rest of the hobby shops have always done where they try to get all their profit in one sale vs low mark up higher volume of sales?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
What are in store prices vs FT online store like? Reasonable stock fee or crackhead profiteering like the rest of the hobby shops have always done where they try to get all their profit in one sale vs low mark up higher volume of sales?
They do seem to price stuff like its going to be their last transaction ever. But they are convenient and readily available for your query's, but they dont need to price people out of the hobby. I have found in the one of our local hobby shops they do carry SBK's and they are priced accordingly, aligning with our exchange rate to get them shipped in. I would pay just as much there as i would online to my door. And there power packs are the same way.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Often at my hobbytown they are the same price as from the ft store (but you don’t have to pay shipping!) sometimes a kit or two is marked up $3 but not often.

mayan

Legendary member
Often at my hobbytown they are the same price as from the ft store (but you don’t have to pay shipping!) sometimes a kit or two is marked up $3 but not often.
3$ more is reasonable the store where I go when I am stuck prices 200-300% more for the same part that I would have ordered on AliExpress, matter of fact I saw AliExpress packages there and it was frustrating.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
3$ more is reasonable the store where I go when I am stuck prices 200-300% more for the same part that I would have ordered on AliExpress, matter of fact I saw AliExpress packages there and it was frustrating.

Yup and this is THE reason that Local hobby shops are going the way of the dodo. I really cant feel bad for them as they self inflict their own demise. It just hurts the communities they are in as access to our hobby is now one step further out of reach for many who would not get the chance to see it up close and get that spark to try it.

basslord1124

Master member
Hello once again, life has been super busy but still been trying to do hobby stuff when I can. Also been adding some stuff to my youtube channel and showcasing some other projects.

One of these projects I posted over in the balsa forums. You can check it out here:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/vinh-quang-dhc-2-beaver-balsa.64997/post-599922

And of course the video is on my youtube channel as well.

This counts as the 2nd balsa plane that i have dove into (I actually have a 3rd one too), first was my old balsa trainer that I electrified. Balsa used to scare me, but I have just come to accept that it's just another material that these planes are built out of. I am hoping to eventually increase the amount of balsa planes I have over time...but I'm in no hurry...just take it as it happens. I still like flying the foamboard ones.

Well hope everyone is still staying safe from CoVid, I'm going to leave it at that for now. :)