basslord1124 RC flight and Flitetest journey/diary - Perkyplanes & RC

basslord1124

Master member
Well an unthinkable thing has happened...

I got up super early this past Sunday, grabbed a boatload of planes, and headed to my local RC airfield. Due to other life duties I knew I wouldn't be there all day, but I did get about 4.5 hours of fun and flights in. Both myself and even some fellow pilots showed up later. It was a much needed and rewarding experience. The temps have gotten a tad cooler too which I prefer for flying.

Here is a list of the planes I had brought with me:
FT Simple Cub
FT Tiny Trainer
FT Seaduck
FT Edge
Bloody Baron
KFM Wing

Everything got flown EXCEPT the Edge. Got videos of most of the flights as well.

Overall the only ones that didn't fly as well to me were the Cub and the Tiny Trainer...they did ok. Cub has always been a strange one IMO and the TT, well I switched it from 3S to 2S this time and they could've been part of it. So those 2 will require some more tweaking. The rest though did wonderful. The remaining ones were at the point, IMO, that I could really start opening em up, increasing the throws, and maybe get a little crazier with. :)

One plane I did not film (aside from the Edge which did not get flown) was the Bloody Baron...I just decided to go camera-less with it this time. No issues, flew great. Also used it to sort of warm up with after flying the 3 channel Cub and Trainer. I have grown to really love the Bloody Baron...big shoutout to @SP0NZ for that design. It's a quick build, fun flying little bugger.

Even sorta buddied up more with the fellow pilots there. We would take turns...they'd fly theirs and then holler at me when it was my turn. One guy I had known and seen there...the other one I had never met before. We exchanged contact info in case we want to meet up and fly in the future. Those 2 mainly flew RTF Horizon Hobby/Eflite products...T28, Timber, etc. They got a kick out of really seeing if these foamboard creations I was working on actually flew. They especially liked the Seaduck.

Oh yeah, most planes got through the whole experience unscathed...except the Cub. Came in a little hard on landing and bent the landing gear wire. Shouldn't be a big deal to fix.

Well I have a bunch of video footage to go through, so youtube flight videos will be coming. Maybe next time I will get some Edge video.

basslord1124

Master member
First flight video is up...FT Simple Cub. After reviewing things better I think it was a little tail heavy (even though I could've sworn the balance was good). Regardless, with that, it didn't fly too bad...not great either. I dunno....I'm pondering making a larger wing for it to help with its characteristics. Or maybe I'm just not a clipped wing cub kinda guy.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
First flight video is up...FT Simple Cub. After reviewing things better I think it was a little tail heavy (even though I could've sworn the balance was good). Regardless, with that, it didn't fly too bad...not great either. I dunno....I'm pondering making a larger wing for it to help with its characteristics. Or maybe I'm just not a clipped wing cub kinda guy.

Ok #1. Bro you killed that vid, awesome. Love the hat cam stuff. Totally first person perspective. I felt like I was at the sticks... Hats off to you sir.

#2. You murdered that Cub and showed it who is boss. I would give my stars and stripes to be at the sticks next to you flying formation. Actually I am gong to do a vid that invites anyone willing to fly formation with me and I hope you would be the first to sign up. I actually would like to send this invite especially to long time friends like @The Hangar, @kilroy07, @sundown57, @buzzbomb, @Zetoyoc, @FL_Engineer, @mayan, @SP0NZ, @FoamyDM, @Goose Igaly, @Grifflyer, @SquirrelTail, anyone who would like to join me here in the free wide open country of Canada.

Before this COVID apocalypse I was so ready to come to my first FTFF 2020 and meet you all, well and fly of course. But there is a like mindedness that binds us not just here but in passing as well. And each moment is always remembered, if not documented.

Love the hobby and what it does, and yet still will contribute to mankind.

Amen

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Ok #1. Bro you killed that vid, awesome. Love the hat cam stuff. Totally first person perspective. I felt like I was at the sticks... Hats off to you sir.

#2. You murdered that Cub and showed it who is boss. I would give my stars and stripes to be at the sticks next to you flying formation. Actually I am gong to do a vid that invites anyone willing to fly formation with me and I hope you would be the first to sign up. I actually would like to send this invite especially to long time friends like @The Hangar, @kilroy07, @sundown57, @buzzbomb, @Zetoyoc, @FL_Engineer, @mayan, @SP0NZ, @FoamyDM, @Goose Igaly, @Grifflyer, @SquirrelTail, anyone who would like to join me here in the free wide open country of Canada.

Before this COVID apocalypse I was so ready to come to my first FTFF 2020 and meet you all, well and fly of course. But there is a like mindedness that binds us not just here but in passing as well. And each moment is always remembered, if not documented.

Amen
If I'm not able to make it there before, I can't wait to fly with you at FF21!

basslord1124

Master member

Amen

Thanks man! I use a Polaroid Cube Cam with a headstrap. With that sun that day though, I'm going to come better equipped with some sun glasses...luckily didn't have any major foamboard fatalities that day.

I was all ready to come to FF2020 but that darn CoVid got in the way. Definitely hoping to fulfill that in 2021 and hopefully see some faces. As for the formation thing...I don't know, we shall see. I'll be checking your channel when I can.

Hopefully should have another video or 2 up by this weekend. Tiny Trainer is next...then I got the KFM Wing and Seaduck.

basslord1124

Master member
All right, finally got the KFM wing video up...

I think this was one of the flights I was looking forward to and scared of that day b/c I just haven't flown the KFM enough especially after making some changes to help with balance. It still wants to roll to the right on launch, but is much more controllable than those first flights...OR maybe I am just getting used to the darn thing! Flight went good with no real issues.

I have not been real active on the forums as of late, I have been lurking here and there and reading a few posts...but not posting much at all. I think what has happened is my new job and new environment has basically rekindled one of my old interests (IT and technology) so I've been focusing on a lot more of that as of recent. My old job had started making me bored of computers/technology which is actually what I do for a living! So with the new job has brought me back home so to speak. Kinda hard to believe that my old job was that toxic but it was apparently! So been updating myself, learning new stuff, and even buying some new technology stuff for home (won't bore you with details). I have even been focusing on redoing my home studio recording setup for when I want to record new music. So planes have sort of taken a back seat for now.

Despite that, I still have done a few things, albeit pretty slowly. One of these is making more progress on the Mystery Ship. The fuselage is almost complete minus the last bits of the tail and the front cowl. Also will need to figure something out for the landing gear. And will need to get the linkages put in...servos are in place, but still need to add pushrods and control horns. Another thing...is probably here in the next few days I'll be ordering the new retracts for the Corsair. And been thinking about painting some planes as well over the winter season (the Spitfire for example).

I'll see about posting some updated pics as well on the progress of some of these planes as time goes by. Hope everything is going well on the forums and folks are staying safe from CoVid. And yeah, this CoVid crap isn't helping things either!

basslord1124

Master member
A Mystery Ship build update pic...

ms wing and fuse.jpg

basslord1124

Master member
Well thought I'd pop back in here again. Been tired both physically and mentally.... mentally tired, like the rest of us, of this CoVid situation. With the CoVid situation getting to a high once again a part of me wants to go fly but a part of me wants to play it safe as well. Even though RC flying seems like a safer situation in terms of CoVid exposure, I still don't want to take any chances. Most open fields that I come across and fly at, I don't know who was there and when...and the same goes for our RC field which has even more areas for contact (benches, tables, the building, bathrooms, etc). The annual December Christmas dinner for the RC club was even cancelled as well due to not chancing it with CoVid. The disease is getting a little too close to home in that some fellow coworkers, folks I used to know, and even some family have unfortunately picked up the virus. I also don't want to risk getting my little one sick either.

Onto some happier things... the RC plane hobby is actually going through somewhat of a transition for me. Of course, the family life and daughter still keeps me extremely busy too. I've been looking more and more into balsa planes basically. I'm about to pull the trigger on a balsa kit that I can put together. I don't want to fall into a situation where I have boxes and boxes of kits that never get put together...although with my sea of unfinished projects that could happen. lol. Been looking at just a basic high wing trainer type to start with. And from there I grow on to different kits if I want. I also have some existing balsa planes here that need some attention as well. And I just recently (as in today actually!) came across an old high school class mate who apparently used to be in the hobby with his dad and is looking to part with some old planes. I should know more details soon. Gosh the plane hobby is so addictive...you can't just have one! Perhaps I also acquire so many as I know they'll all be crashed someday so I'm stocking up lol.

As for FT, foamboard, and everything else I have. I got new retracts for the Corsair and plan on putting those in. Above is the update to the Mystery Ship. Still gotta figure out a way to put together the landing gear. I hate to say this, but I almost don't see myself doing any new foamboard builds for a while. I've even got a Bushwhacker speedbuild kit that has never been put together. A part of me does want to try and fix/finish any existing foamboard/FT planes that I have. I suppose we shall see what will happen in that department. It should be no surprise I may get a wild hair one day and do a bunch of foamboard stuff again.

For any build/project I do, I will still try and make sure and post about it somewhere on the forums that it fits. I suppose I am one of those crazy model RC'ers who has 10 million unfinished projects and keeps getting more. Is it truly a problem if you admit to it? Oh well.

Well hope everyone out there is doing well and staying safe from CoVid. Keep on building, flying, and crashing!!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Reading that post made me feel better about myself! I haven’t been out flying much, mainly because of school, and I have 10 million projects started that are lying around... And then I got a balsa kit too, it’s sitting on my bench waiting for me to build it. This hobby is addictive! :p

basslord1124

Master member
Ah yes, I think I just recently started watching your thread. Best of luck with the build... a glider, I would think, would be another great design to start with.

basslord1124

Master member
I ended up going with the Herr Cloud Ranger. I had narrowed it down to it and some of the Sig Kadet series planes. But the Kadets were more set with nitro in mind plus a lot of them being only 3 channel. I wanted 4 channel to start with AND something that wouldn't require a lot of mods to do electric.

The Cloud Ranger fit what i needed very well. Not too expensive, decent size to be seen and for transport, ready for electric, 4 channel, and high wing/stable design.