basslord1124 RC flight and Flitetest journey/diary - Perkyplanes & RC

basslord1124

Master member
New video...the progress so far on the Mystery Ship...

Going to try and do some more work to it in the next few days depending how things go.

Well hope everyone is having a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. Mostly food hangover/napping going on here...except me and the little one. I am generally not a napper during the day. Oh yeah, back on the 24th, I turned the big 4-0.

Onto some other news, my balsa kit should be here within the next 2-3 days.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Happy Thanksgiving mate. I too am in full on Food coma mode right now avoiding that piece of pie screamin at me from the kitchen....

Happy belated Birthday my friend. Stay safe n healthy.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
New video...the progress so far on the Mystery Ship...

Going to try and do some more work to it in the next few days depending how things go.

Well hope everyone is having a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. Mostly food hangover/napping going on here...except me and the little one. I am generally not a napper during the day. Oh yeah, back on the 24th, I turned the big 4-0.

Onto some other news, my balsa kit should be here within the next 2-3 days.
Happy Thanksgiving buddy and Happy Birthday! Welcome to the downward spiral of old age. Wait isnt 40 the new 27?!

I am looking forward to see how your balsa build comes out, still following that for sure.

basslord1124

Master member
Thanks @BATTLEAXE...thanks! Hope your Thanksgiving was great! lol...some days I do still feel 27, and some days I don't.

Thanks...made a little more progress on the balsa build. Just taking my sweet time with it. It's really neat and just different. Yours turned out really good.

basslord1124

Master member
Oh yeah, crazy thing has been happening. An old high school classmate contacted me out of the blue asking me if I was interested in buying any of their old RC planes (I really had no idea he was into them but he must've seen some of my posts). Come to find out, him and his dad use to fly and both are at a point in their lives that they just don't do it anymore...he is getting too busy with life and his dad is getting up there in age.

Most all of them were nitro/glow powered and 2 of them were gassers and here I had been looking at eventually taking the plunge towards actual engine powered. Of all the planes I've looked at, I'm focused mainly on these guys here.

2 planes.jpg

p51.jpg

He also had an old nitro trainer and a gas powered Katana, but like I said, I'm focusing on just these 3 here. Might pick one or 2 up...or maybe all 3.

I have a little more detail in this thread here:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...r-plane-sure-got-some-glow-and-gassers.65846/

Overall I'm pretty stoked about it and wasn't expecting to come across this just yet. Probably the last thing I need is more plane projects lol. I told him I was definitely interested and would get back with him to see what I decided on. The sport plane is the only one that is gas powered...the other 2 are nitro/glow.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Oh yeah, crazy thing has been happening. An old high school classmate contacted me out of the blue asking me if I was interested in buying any of their old RC planes (I really had no idea he was into them but he must've seen some of my posts). Come to find out, him and his dad use to fly and both are at a point in their lives that they just don't do it anymore...he is getting too busy with life and his dad is getting up there in age.

Most all of them were nitro/glow powered and 2 of them were gassers and here I had been looking at eventually taking the plunge towards actual engine powered. Of all the planes I've looked at, I'm focused mainly on these guys here.

View attachment 186067

View attachment 186068

He also had an old nitro trainer and a gas powered Katana, but like I said, I'm focusing on just these 3 here. Might pick one or 2 up...or maybe all 3.

I have a little more detail in this thread here:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...r-plane-sure-got-some-glow-and-gassers.65846/

Overall I'm pretty stoked about it and wasn't expecting to come across this just yet. Probably the last thing I need is more plane projects lol. I told him I was definitely interested and would get back with him to see what I decided on. The sport plane is the only one that is gas powered...the other 2 are nitro/glow.
Are you gonna pick them up?

basslord1124

Master member
Well haven't posted an update in a while.

Things are going fine here. Had a good holiday and glad it's the new year. Put 2020 behinds us folks! In fact I just recently did my 2021 New Year video.

Believe it or not, I didn't get a whole in terms of RC plane stuff...except this shirt...

planes and parts-tshirt.png

I also got a toygrade New Bright RC Raptor truck. Just something to mess around with when I'm not flying. A part of me want to gut it and soup it up some. More power! :D:p

Christmas was more for the little one...and well...she got a lot.Toys and books and more toys...oh and a unicorn you can ride on. I need to get her an RC thing sometime.

The major plane thing right now is building the Cloud Ranger which had some delay due to the holidays as well as some missing parts. BUT the parts have come in and the building has continued. More info in this thread:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/build-log-herr-cloud-ranger-balsa-kit.65716/

Well that's all from me for right now. Lets hope 2021 is a good year for everyone! Stay safe!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hopefully 2021 is good for us all. Hope you guys stay safe and healthy in the new year. You can always subliminally work the munchkin into RC by letting her play with a spare radio and wiggle the sticks like she is flying as you fly on a sim. Nothing like early muscle memory work to get a head start on things hehe.

As for your tiny truck leave it as is and hot glue an FPV aio on the odd and drive around the house or yard on no fly days. GREAT way to get revenge on the cat for pestering you for food before you even pour that first cup of coffee or while you are trying to do things and they demand attention. You can even bait it by hot gluing a laser pointer on the roof pointing just in front of the truck :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Anyways have a Happy and fun filled 2021 we all need ta catch up on missed things from last year.

basslord1124

Master member
Well things just took a crazy turn in my already craziness of this hobby. :eek:

Revisiting a previous post in this thread, I can now say that it is officially a reality.

Planes-resixe.jpg

planes_wings.jpg
stick_engine.jpg

I'm excited and nervous all at the same time over these birds. But at the same time, this deal was too good to pass up. My plan is to hopefully try and get 1, maybe 2 in the air this year once I go over them real good and do any necessary maintenance. The guy I got them from even had a big plastic drawer tote full of supplies that he offered for a good price...probably will grab it too. I know it had spare props, servo wires/extensions, fuel tanks and tubing, electric starter, and who knows what else. These will be the first IC powered planes I've had...not counting the nitro trainer I had as a teen that I never flew. I have included some additional info in this thread:

There is some little covering issues here and there but I'm not too worried about that. I don't know full specifics on the planes so I welcome any expertise on them (I know the nitro engines may have gotten gunked up a little from sitting). Things I have picked up from the owner as well as others...

-Some or all are Goldberg models and came from Tower Hobbies
-Stick and P51 are nitro, Sukoi/Yak plane is gas (with electric start)
-Stick has flaps
-P51 appears to have retracts
-Thinking the gas one has a Zenoah engine...or at least one of them does.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Probably will make threads about each one once I start going through them. This is crazy! And things just got real interesting. Wish me luck!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

Revisiting a previous post in this thread, I can now say that it is officially a reality.

View attachment 188773
View attachment 188775 View attachment 188776

I'm excited and nervous all at the same time over these birds. But at the same time, this deal was too good to pass up. My plan is to hopefully try and get 1, maybe 2 in the air this year once I go over them real good and do any necessary maintenance. The guy I got them from even had a big plastic drawer tote full of supplies that he offered for a good price...probably will grab it too. I know it had spare props, servo wires/extensions, fuel tanks and tubing, electric starter, and who knows what else. These will be the first IC powered planes I've had...not counting the nitro trainer I had as a teen that I never flew. I have included some additional info in this thread:

There is some little covering issues here and there but I'm not too worried about that. I don't know full specifics on the planes so I welcome any expertise on them (I know the nitro engines may have gotten gunked up a little from sitting). Things I have picked up from the owner as well as others...

-Stick has flaps

That's all I can think of at the moment. Probably will make threads about each one once I start going through them. This is crazy! And things just got real interesting. Wish me luck!
Woohoo, that's amazing man! I can't wait to see you get them all in the air, it'll be awesome! I don't know if you saw or not, but I got a yak recently (picked it up thanksgiving break) and I finally got to fly it a couple weeks ago. Gas is so much fun and so cool! I still have a ton to learn so I'll definitely be following your progress.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

View attachment 188773
View attachment 188775 View attachment 188776

-Stick has flaps

HE SCORES!! You pulled the trigger man, I watched your last vid and you really didnt put the nail on the purchase in there. Nice to see you went for it. I am happy for you man, jealous, but also excited. Cheers buddy

basslord1124

Master member
No I didn't see that @The Hangar ...I'll have to check that out! Thanks so much man!

@BATTLEAXE ... nope, haven't mentioned the purchase in my vids yet. I think my New Years vid was filmed before I bought them. Got another video on the Cloud Ranger to put out too. Not sure when I will mention it...probably pick one to start with first....thinking the Stick plane.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
No I didn't see that @The Hangar ...I'll have to check that out! Thanks so much man!
Here’s the YT link:
It was my first time flying a fuel plane, and almost my first time flying anything wooden (I have a micro balsa stick and a guy let me fly his turbo bushmaster) and it really is exciting! My legs were shaking by the end, especially after a forced dead stick... :oops: Unfortunately that’s my only flight on it so far since the weather hasn’t been very cooperative and neither has my schelude.

Last edited:

basslord1124

Master member
Here’s the YT link:
It was my first time flying a fuel plane, and almost my first time flying anything wooden (I have a micro balsa stick and a guy let me fly his turbo bushmaster) and it really is exciting! My legs were shaking by the end, especially after a forced dead stick... :oops: Unfortunately that’s my only flight on it so far since the weather hasn’t been very cooperative and neither has my schelude.

That flight is awesome man...and of course I'm loving the sound. Hey dead stick is good training. Hoping to see more flights of it. You sound like me and flying. It's usually weather and schedule that keep me busy. The little one is at toddler age (just turned 3 last month), work days are full, taking little one to babysitters (my mom or wife's parents), evenings are pretty full watching her, household chores...stuff just never ends lol. I try and do RC stuff on the weekends if I can.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
That flight is awesome man...and of course I'm loving the sound. Hey dead stick is good training. Hoping to see more flights of it. You sound like me and flying. It's usually weather and schedule that keep me busy. The little one is at toddler age (just turned 3 last month), work days are full, taking little one to babysitters (my mom or wife's parents), evenings are pretty full watching her, household chores...stuff just never ends lol. I try and do RC stuff on the weekends if I can.
Thanks - I really love the sound a real engine puts out! The dead stick was a bit of a surprise, but I’m glad it went as well as it did since it was my first time landing anything that big! Most of the little flying I’ve done lately is minis in the backyard, but it doesn’t take the place of flying the bigger stuff. I was hoping to fly the yak today but then we ended up being blanketed in fog - maybe next weekend!

basslord1124

Master member
Mentioned this earlier and I finally picked this up too...

20210123_151136.jpg

20210123_151118.jpg

20210123_151102.jpg

20210123_151044.jpg

This is mostly plane stuff with some other misc things thrown in. 2 electric starters, tach, misc servos and servo goodies, props, covering iron, pushrods, clevises, some NiCad stuff, and who knows what else...haven't really went through it real good but have seen some of it.

I have done a little bit of work to the Stick and started a thread on the progress...

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...erg-wild-stick-120-restoration-project.66268/

At this point, I do have the glow motor unmounted and about to get the prop removed and begin cleaning the engine up real good. So it's slowly coming along.

Aside from that, nothing much else is going on. Waiting on when I might get a CoVid vaccine. *waits patiently*