basslord1124 RC flight and Flitetest journey/diary - Perkyplanes & RC

basslord1124

Master member
Hola once again....time for another update, basically a month to the date of my last one...

1st off a video I just recently released...5 years on youtube...

Youtube was kind of a weird thing for me to get into on a more consistent basis. I used to just do a video here and there...but my RC planes channel was a little different. My wife and I went through a period of watching a lot of vloggers (Adam the Woo, Justin Scarred to name a couple) and that sort of inspired us to do youtube. I chose focusing on my RC hobby and my wife just did more general vlogging type stuff. Between us, I keep up more on the youtube channel than she does but she still does videos every now and then. Aside from the interest in vloggers, I think we both maybe had the crazy dream we might make money off of youtube. I have long since gave up on the idea of making money on the platform. I have looked at it more of making videos for fun and just sharing my experience with the hobby...whether it's funny, silly, educational, doesn't matter. I don't care if anyone watches them but I'd at least like to hope and think that someone can get a little something from my videos.

Well things are moving (haha moving, get it?) in a decent positive direction now with house selling/house buying. Don't want to jinx it or anything, but basically things are moving in the right direction. *fingers crossed*

With all the move stuff, I still haven't touch any planes in a while...hopefully in the coming months I can get back into it.

Oh well, hope all is well around here and that everyone had a good 4th of July holiday!

basslord1124

Master member
Well I wanted to give another update in terms of the house situation...

Unfortunately we are back to the drawing board with the house. We had a very promising offer on the house, but the buyer ended up backing out of it as we started moving through the process. So...perhaps I did jinx it? :cry: Our old house was built in like the 1920's and 30's... so it's definitely presented its fair share of challenges both in terms of living there and trying to sell it. Maybe it'll sell by the end of the year at the rate it's going.

We have managed to get us a storage unit and have already migrated a bunch of stuff there already. Even stored a few balsa planes in there as well. I have pondered to keep a few foamboard planes out just to fly when I have a moment of downtime.

I have also had a few health concerns creep up so please keep me in your thoughts and prayers. I will update later once I have my next doctor appointment(s).

Piotrsko

Master member
Hmmm sounds like a sales job on your realtor for that offer. Afaik, the only way to jinx a house is to be there when the buyer shows, or have rooms painted black with studs and rafters showing. People like me lowball those houses, I don't mind the work to repair, but I won't pay full price for the privilege.

The market in many cities has gone really soft last couple of weeks, but it's nothing a price reduction won't fix. Take heart, once it took me 2 years to sell a house during a depression and I lost my butt on the sale........

basslord1124

Master member
@Piotrsko , I have noticed the market has changed a little here recently...seems like some prices are dropping around here. Houses are still popping up like crazy, and some are disappearing as quick as they appear (of course that depends on price, location, how nice it is, etc). We have literally seen houses that pop up, and as soon as we reach out to our realtor to go look at it, it already has an offer on it.

Piotrsko

Master member
Sadly this market is where you need friends and contacts and then you have to settle for what there is mostly before you buy. Pick an area, decide on your absolute minimum requirements........ worst case you have to live in a non optimum house for a couple years. Lord knows I had to do that lots, last one was 15 years. Just dont miss the opportunity.

basslord1124

Master member
New video...

After many years of Spektrum use, I made the switch to OpenTX/Taranis.

Question which I pose in the video...is it "ter-ann-us" or "ter-anus" :p

Thanks to @PsyBorg for the big recommendation on switching...I honestly kinda feel like this is my radio. And it allowed me to have a lot more than 6 channels without costing a fortune.

Things are really moving in a good positive direction with the house and moving. Don't wanna jinx anything at the moment, so I'll post the details later. :) Hope everyone out there is doing well and staying safe.

basslord1124

Master member
Quick update for any folks out there still reading this thing. I am not dead....I was physically and mentally exhausted at times, but not dead.

I am officially in our new home posting this. Slowly and steadily getting settled and unpacked. 1st official day/closing day was this past Monday. The old house we closed on last week. Couple interesting things for posting:

-We originally agreed on a week to get our stuff out of the old house from the date of closing on the old house. We were gonna try and close on both houses the same day. That basically didn't happen as closing on the new house had delays. We literally only had maybe 2.5 days in the beginning. I was able to extend it one extra day. Still pushing it though. Luckily our movers were cool through the crazy process and got all the BIG stuff plus any extras. We got most of the main stuff out...still ran out of time for everything so a little bit got left behind.

-New house, despite being in a decent residential area, was not ready to go for internet. So we were without internet for a few days in the new house. Crazy how much we rely on it. All other utilities were ready to go basically.

Well that pretty much wraps it up. Got more to post, but I'm getting hungry, so off to get some grub. Will post more later.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Quick update for any folks out there still reading this thing. I am not dead....I was physically and mentally exhausted at times, but not dead.

I am officially in our new home posting this. Slowly and steadily getting settled and unpacked. 1st official day/closing day was this past Monday. The old house we closed on last week. Couple interesting things for posting:

-We originally agreed on a week to get our stuff out of the old house from the date of closing on the old house. We were gonna try and close on both houses the same day. That basically didn't happen as closing on the new house had delays. We literally only had maybe 2.5 days in the beginning. I was able to extend it one extra day. Still pushing it though. Luckily our movers were cool through the crazy process and got all the BIG stuff plus any extras. We got most of the main stuff out...still ran out of time for everything so a little bit got left behind.

-New house, despite being in a decent residential area, was not ready to go for internet. So we were without internet for a few days in the new house. Crazy how much we rely on it. All other utilities were ready to go basically.

Well that pretty much wraps it up. Got more to post, but I'm getting hungry, so off to get some grub. Will post more later.

How's Sadie doing with the move. Has she got over the shock of new surroundings? that has to be an adjustment for her being that young and going thru a move. Hope you got time to take a breather and catch up on some well needed rest before you start the grind of unpacking everything and finding all of that new locations.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

Congrats on the new home! Best of luck with what the future holds!

basslord1124

Master member
Thanks a bunch @The Hangar and @mayan . :)

@PsyBorg - Sadie is doing well with it. The house is so much more open and easier for her to get around. Maybe a little difficulty the first night getting to sleep but rest of time she's been fine. I've managed to get a little bit of rest this weekend, probably could use a little more. And we've been taking our time with the unpacking process.

basslord1124

Master member
Well thought I'd pop back in with an update...although probably just gonna be me rambling like always vs an official update.

I'm working on editing my latest video which I hope to have up sometime today. No flying/building...just a general life update. Right now, the kid has some sort of stomach bug or had some food that didn't agree with her. Vomiting mainly...no other symptoms. Wife is taking a nap and I'm watching the munchkin as she watches Mickey Mouse and plays on her tablet.

The new house is a nice single level with a more open floor plan. 2 bedroom and an extra room my wife is turning into her office. Then of course the usual kitchen, living room, bathroom, etc. Previous house was an old multi-level, very broken up, etc. Old house had a basement for my hobby stuff and general man-cave...plus it had a garage. New house does not have hardly any space for hobbies/storage...so quite a big switch. BUT we have a plan to get my own little space. Daughter is going to have a better yard to play in compared to the previous house...we just gotta work on getting it fenced in.

Overall I think this experience is teaching us both to cut back on the stuff we have. I think hoarding comes naturally to my wife (both her parents are guilty of it) and well I hoard planes obviously. I do play guitar/bass as well but I feel like I am pretty reasonable with music gear...especially compared to other musicians. So I have been going through our things as time has went on (and still doing that too), and been either trashing things or donating them.

I should mention, on a hobby side of things, my ammo can of lipo batteries is out on our carport at the moment. Figure that was safer than bringing them inside OR leaving them in the storage unit.

Well, I'm gonna get back to this video and get it uploaded. I'll post it once it gets finished.

basslord1124

Master member
Well I'm going to be posting with no video this time. Shocker! Usually when I post, I have a video. Well not this time.

Just wanted to share an experience I had recently.

So this past Sunday, our RC field was having a club meeting. I had to miss the last one as it fell right on the weekend we were officially moving, packing up, and what not. On this particular Sunday it was actually a pretty good turnout. It felt good to be amongst all those old fogey (and some young guys) club members, shooting the breeze, etc. After the meeting, a good batch of them were flying...planes mainly and a helicopter. Most of my goodies are still in storage and hopefully should be coming out soon. But it was just inspiring to see it all again. It got the bug going within me going that had been sitting dormant for soooo long. It just felt good. I missed it. Well you get the picture. :)

And now that I think about it...perhaps I will share a video in this post...but it's not my video. Our RC field, the Tri State Model Flyers, has someone very special who is a member. I have only talked to this person a time or two...actually talked to his dad more than him. lol. This member is, well, a super gifted RC pilot...and he's like 12-13 yrs old. His name is Lane and he and his dad started up a youtube channel not too long ago. The video below was shot on Sunday. I filmed a video of him flying as well, but don't remember if it was this flight or another one he did. But anyways, this is the video from his channel:

Pretty darn amazing! :D

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well I'm going to be posting with no video this time. Shocker! Usually when I post, I have a video. Well not this time.

Just wanted to share an experience I had recently.

So this past Sunday, our RC field was having a club meeting. I had to miss the last one as it fell right on the weekend we were officially moving, packing up, and what not. On this particular Sunday it was actually a pretty good turnout. It felt good to be amongst all those old fogey (and some young guys) club members, shooting the breeze, etc. After the meeting, a good batch of them were flying...planes mainly and a helicopter. Most of my goodies are still in storage and hopefully should be coming out soon. But it was just inspiring to see it all again. It got the bug going within me going that had been sitting dormant for soooo long. It just felt good. I missed it. Well you get the picture. :)

And now that I think about it...perhaps I will share a video in this post...but it's not my video. Our RC field, the Tri State Model Flyers, has someone very special who is a member. I have only talked to this person a time or two...actually talked to his dad more than him. lol. This member is, well, a super gifted RC pilot...and he's like 12-13 yrs old. His name is Lane and he and his dad started up a youtube channel not too long ago. The video below was shot on Sunday. I filmed a video of him flying as well, but don't remember if it was this flight or another one he did. But anyways, this is the video from his channel:

Pretty darn amazing! :D

Oh oh.. Have you found a replacement wunderkind for our very own Oliver AKA @SquirrelTail? Good to see you finally got out for a little bit of you time. You have been hard focused relocating your family and all the stress of a new house brings